1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Voice An Unpopular Opinion

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Those silly earrings that people use to expand the hole in the ear to ridiculous proportions.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    They make me feel ill. Have you seen someone;s ear when they actually take one out? It's sick.

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Agreed on that, they're stupid and look bad.

My flatmate has a piercing on the back of her neck. Don't understand it atall.

4. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    People should need to apply to have children - under-going personality tests, education tests and general common-sense tests. Same applies for the ability to vote.

Dude, I was lobbying for this since Moses parted the Sea!:D

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hang on - are you dissing Taylor? Taylor Swift is great. Not sure why you would lump her in with Kesha or American Idol winners.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I don't quite get that either. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I totally understand Taylor Swift's popularity. She writes catchy poppy songs, pens her own music (a rarity these days), plays guitar while singing, has a pretty (if unremarkable) singing voice, and is insanely beautiful. Aside from the beauty aspect, the others just aren't in her league – especially the American Idol twits (a phenomenon I still don't understand after a decade). You don't have to like her music to acknowledge that.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    My wife loves American Idol. The thing I always find amusing (and the clinches the case of the overall stupidity of the American public - and I guess the demographic specifically that watches American Idol) is that the most talented singer hardly ever wins. With the exceptions of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, the most talented never won the competition. So that's 2 out of the first 9 seasons. (Actually, to be fair, I'll say 2 out of the first 8, because it's a little early to make a firm statement on last year's winner less then a year later.)

This season held true to form, with the most talented person being voted off last week. It's the same scene every year, the judges get so upset, and there is a chorus of boos from the audience. I cannot help chuckling to myself... Presumably the people who show up in the audience are fans, and since it's fan voting that determines who gets voted off, if the person you wanted to win goes home, it's kind of your fault for not casting your vote in thier favor.

I think the whole show could be fixed by making one simple change - instead of having the contestant with the fewest number of votes being sent home, they should instead do it Survivor style, where you vote for your least favorite, and the person with the most votes gets voted off.

8. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    IMO some of the idols probably have a technically superior voice to Taylor Swift (remember some time ago she did a duet with somebody at some awards show that ... didn't go so well), but what she may lack in proficiency/range/whatever she makes up for in style. Which I think is itself part of what makes a performer 'good;' otherwise I don't imagine it would be too tough to fill the pop music ranks with Charlotte Churches.

Kelly Clarkson, for example: she arguably sings only disposable pop songs, but she does it very competently - wide range, big 'lungs,' on-tune without auto-tune, etc.

Britney Spears on the other hand ... well, I rather suspect that the average shower vocalist could give her a run for her money. :heh:

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I don't think I have heard her, although I know who she is from being mentioned in the media.

I have never really heard her either, although I certainly know who she is.

I saw it once, several years ago. That gay dude was singing, I can't think of his name. I guess I don't really hear that much mainstream pop stuff. But still I never feel I'm missing anything special.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The gay dude is Clay Aiken, is he not?

As for American Idol, I've never been impressed. The same goes for pretty well all so called "reality" shows. I hates them.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That's him. His voice wasn't bad. You know sometimes I think I'm just old. But still, we have all these threads with favorite singers, bands, and random music, album of the day, etc. And I'm on a few other music forums was well. It's funny how these "idol stars," or mainstream pop performers are never mentioned by anyone on these music threads....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.