1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wars: Are they good or bad?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Teensabre, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Should we war against Iraq or not? I personally don't know... :confused:

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Of course they're bad!

Hundreds of dead and injured - all for some selfish person, it's pointless

You'd achieve more by playing chess:D

3. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I don't mean it like that! :sosad:

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

USA just wants more oil (which means more money), and therefor they're just waiting for the perfect excuse to attack Iraq (Just like Austria-Hungary in the first world war. They didn't start the war just because their crown prince was shot.).

5. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I agree with you Mollusken and as someone said, USA wouldn't attack if Iraq could retaliate. So that means that they are cowards.
    I am against war because it will make things only worse. And terrorists will become more and more extreme. And what about Afghanistan, what did they accomplish there?

6. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yes I agree with the two guys above.

America achieved a short-term revenge to satisfy its people in Afghanistan, but of course nothing substantial.

Bush wants war with Iraq because, face it, if Bush and Saddam sat down to a game of chess to resolve things, Saddam would win in 4-10 moves...

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Mollusken is right, America keeps the unrest in the middle-east to keep the oil price low

DonĀ“t believe us, then ask yourself why America gives $3.000.000.000 (thats 3 billion) to Israel every year, even though its one of the richest countries in the world

8. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Morgoth, Iraq is a very poor country by N.American and European terms. Sure it's developed, but the place really is a dump. And yes America may well be attacking for Oil, but it's not the only thing. The US and Britain are attacking to get Saddamn out of power, and take away it's nukes. And if we benefit with oil all the better. It's the spoils of war. :D

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Iraq might seem more or less dangerous and pose a threat to some nations, and I don't think that Bush is just going to take the risk of letting Saddam staying in power. (Ironically, the CIA put him in power years ago.) However, there's still too much problems with al-Qaeda and the interim government in Afghanistan. If the U.S. were to invade Iraq, even with the help of a few other nations, the troops would be way too divided to be able to overthrow Saddam, stop al-Qaeda, and keep Karzai's government in place all at the same time. Furthermore, should this ever happen, it's not likely the U.S. would receive much aid in helping to fight Iraq, so the U.S. military is going to be very strung out if war is declared on Iraq.

Is the attack on Iraq justified? I'd say more or less. Can we do it? Not likely.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Please.

Getting rid of Saddam guarantees nothing about oil from Iraq.

Getting rid of the Taliban in Afghanistan is accomplishing nothing? I beg to differ and I'd wager the Afghanis would too.

And unrest in the Middle East serves to INFLATE oil prices because the futures market sees problems with the oil supply. I wonder how that keeps oil prices low... :rolleyes:

11. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Buncha yank-bashers, toeing the party line...

Yes, the U.S. gives money to Israel...and to Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, etc., etc., etc.

And here is, in my estimation, the most beautiful thing about the U.S.A. You can go to any media source in any country in the world, but you'll never find anyone speaking as harshly (while remaining truthful) about the U.S. as what you'll find in the op-ed pages of American papers.

America produces its own harshest critics, and guarantees them the right to speak. Not bad. Not bad at all.

What was the question? War on Iraq? I'm against.

12. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Arghh. People, please at least THINK about what you're posting before you post it. We give $3Billion a year to Israel BECAUSE THEY'RE OUR FREAKING ALLY! GUESS WHAT WE GIVE TO EGYPT? TWO ****ing BILLION.

[Ignorance is bliss, so you all must be incredibly happy right now.]

[ September 16, 2002, 20:08: Message edited by: SlimShogun ]

13. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Slim, i hope i'm not with the bunch that's directed to. I have defended the USA on every topic where there has been America-bashing. And i'll continue to do so. So all these mainland European America bashers, just think where'd you be right now if it wasn't for the USA and Britain, slaving for a Nazi most likely.

14. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

Z-Layrex your opinions on things makes me think we are under Nazi rule.

Iraq can't have it's nukes taken away cos it doesn't have any yet. It does have the right sort of uranium. But it could make them if it had the materials. But Saddam wouldn't bother if people didn't threaten his country.

And they won't have the tech to build long range missiles for at least 4 years! I am with the anti war group.

15. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Well i'm with an all out war. Any man who fires a gun into the air to show his country's strength is a loony. He is constantly threataning other innocent nations, (Kuwait and Isreal for example).

Poodle do you KNOW what this man has done in the past!!!??? Here's an interesting thing my father just told me:
    He took thousands of Kuwait people from their homes, never to be seen again. Most likely shot and burned! He then went on to burn hundreds of oil rigs in Kuwait. He has TOTALLY ruined this once grand nation! Any man as insane as this should get get a bullet in his brain as soon as possible.

[ September 17, 2002, 16:08: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

16. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

17. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Z
    You have written that Sadam is costantly threatening innocent countries like Kuweit and Israel. Also, you have written that he took thousands of Kuweit people from their home, never to be seen again. Israel has made exactly the same thing with Palestinians. So, why Sadam is evil and Israel is innocent?
    Also, Iraq is now a poor country. Before the gulf war it was one of the richest nations of the world (richest than USA or UK), but 12 years of international embargo has brought it to its knees.

The war will be just for oil and for nothing else. Iraq has signed agreements with european companies and a change of goverment in Iraq will cancel these agreements in favor of american companies.

USA could finish Sadam problem in 1990, but they did not. Why? Because american interests during that period wanted Sadam in Iraq in order to be able to keep american forces in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia "just in case that someting will happen". Also, Sadam has been used by American politicians as a way of dropping the attention of american public from various interim problems. I remember that when Clinton was under attack because of the Lewinski scandal he used to bomb Iraq. I don't know if something similar is happening now (perhaps an American could bring some information upon this).

18. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Totally agree with him. Stupid American government.

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Unless you have some proof to back up this outrageous claim, I'll have to say this is nothing but wild speculation.

No, because the American people have become too weak willed to stomach war casualties. Once the goal of pushing the Iraqis out of Kuwait was achieved, the American people would not support the additional losses to hunt down Saddam in his lair.

20. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

As far as I can remember, Iraqi soldiers have surrendered massively before the final surrender of Iraq, so the casualties would not have been high.
    On the other hand, I don't think that goverments care a lot about their casualties when they want to achieve something (USA: see Vietnam, USSR: see Afghanistan, Israel: see Palestine).

All the greek newspapers have published what you consider speculation and as you can understand these are my sources. I can give some web adresses, but you could not understand a word, because they don't have an english version.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.