1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon upgrade path across BG1,SoA,ToB

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Gilden, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Gilden Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The nature of this thread means it must necessarily contain spoilers
    spoilers
    .spoilers
    I was wondering on the upgrade path people followed playing a character right through BG1,SoA and ToB. There are upgrade paths for armour, weapons, miscellaneous magic items etc. but I chose to follow weapons.

BG1. Class: Fighter

quarterstaff (starting weapon)
    Hull's longsword (I was not entirely a good boy)
    +1 Longsword (Smithy in Beregost)
    +2 Longsword (Bounty Hunter, SW of Nashkell Mines map - stolen emeralds quest)
    +1 Flail (from the tough skeleton above ground at Ullcaster - kept for when blunt weapon needed)

If I had done Durlag's tower, which I did not do this time around, there was a +1 Flame Tongue longsword and a +2 mace that I would probably have upgraded to.

SoA. Class: Fighter
    basic longsword (chest in room adjoining where you begin the game)
    +1 Longsword (I think I got one before I left Irenicus dungeon, but I could be wrong...anyone know if there is one there?)
    +1 Mace (probably from slums or Adventurers Mart, backup for when blunt weapons needed)
    +3 Blade of Roses Longsword (from Copper Coronet after Hendak took over, very cheap for what it was)
    +2 Daystar Longsword (from Crooked Crane Inn, acquired as soon as I felt I could survive the Lich, and definitely before the Umar Hills quest)
    +2 Dragon Slayer (Windspear Hills, King Strohm's tomb, kept until the red dragon was slain, ie. not for long)
    +3 Celestial Fury Katana (Temple District, Slave Lords high level encounter, awesome weapon)
    +3 Skullcrusher Mace (Underdark, defeat Balor, backup weapon)
    Now I begin to Dual Wield, Celestial Fury and the Equalizer (parts in various locations).
    +4 Cutthroat Short Sword (Bohdi's resting place, used only for the encounter against Kangaxx.

Some of the other very good weapons were used by others, like the Flail of Ages (Viccy), Crom Faeyr (Korgan), and some like the Wave Halberd I had no training in and so did not use

ToB. Class: Fighter
    Important to note I am only as far as the Sendai Enclave's final encounter as I write this.
    This is fairly simple, I kept the +3 Celestial Fury Katana for it's brilliant stun ability in the main hand, with the backup slots kept for Ilbratha and Daystar and a blunt weapon (still keeping +3 Skullcrusher Mace at present). In the off hand was +4 Angurvadal longsword (Watcher's Keep level 4), later upgraded to +5.

I have no idea what getting the BMU will do to my choices, since I don't know exactly what it does yet.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I reccomend getting the Answerer +2 for your offhand, items can be fund in the watchers keep somewhere and one other item you will not miss, as you probably have it already.

It lowers the enemy ac with 2 and magic resistance with 20% for each hit.

Great weapon, it is.

3. Gilden Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Thanks for that, Caleb. I am actually carrying The Answerer (I think it's a +4), but I was never clear on how that very slow weapon speed (9, I think) affected you in the offhand.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Kensais with Grandmastery in Longswords and maybe Katanas (very much do-able if you single class him all the way through) can be devastating especially. Switching to the answerer when fighting mages and high MR characters is great, because the Kensai gets such awesome bonuses to attack speed. The Answerer is a GOOD sword. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.