1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weekend in northern Germany

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by joacqin, Mar 18, 2011.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Me and two friends are going to drive down for a weekend in Germany late April. The plan is Hamburg and possibly Berlin. Now, we have absolutely no clue which is why we are going so I am here fishing for recommendations of cool things to do, good restaurants, cheap accomodation, nice bars and so on.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Come to Cologne and I'll show you around :p

As for Berlin and Hamburg, I'd need to think about that first. I am only vaguely familiar with both cities, having only visited them a couple times but never lived there.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My mates have overdosed on Gran Turismo so they are planning a trip to the Nurburgring in the near future so we will probably go further south in Germany. Right now we want something quick and easy. We live in southern Sweden so a drive to Hamburg will not be too taxing or expensive.

4. Ragusa

Media:
    Well, the Nürburgring is in the Eifel mountains, farther away from Frankfurt than from Cologne. Basically there are two ways to get from Hamburg to the race track - via Frankfurt or Cologne. Estimates are according to Google Maps:

One way is via Kassel trough central Germany or from Hamburg, Bremen, Osnabrück, Münster, Hagen, Köln (426 km – ca. 3 h 55 min). From Cologne to Nürburg it is then another 102 km (1 h 12 min).

The other way is via Hannover, Göttingen, Kassel, Giessen to Frankfurt (493 km, 4 h 24 min). But you'd need to get from there to Nürburg (adding another 1 h 47 min, 173 km).

Do the math. And then, of course, there's traffic :) It is now even more sensible for you to come to Cologne since you get to the ring easier that way ;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think what joacqin was saying is that some other time he'd consider going to/through Cologne on the way to see the race complex. Right now they want a quicker trip to somewhere more to the north in Germany.

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh I understand. I was merely engaging in some route planning since I felt he didn't have a grasp on the geography. If they come from Hamburg and want a quicker tour, as far as the Nürburgring is concerned, they won't find it in Northern Germany. The Nürburgring is in the Midwest, if you so want. From Hamburg he way via Cologne is shorter, no matter whether they stop in or bypass the town. Berlin is a pretty long shot away from the Nürburgring, 650km (or 6 hours), and the best way from Berlin would also pass by ... Cologne.

It's not my fault! I just happen to live near a regional nexus if you so want. All roads in the western part of Germany from north or north-east to south and south-west pass by my town.

My offer to Joa still stands, now or later, even though I won't take offence if he chooses to turn it down :)

Besides, they're going to have a great time either way, be it in Berlin, Cologne or Hamburg. And to be honest, there is no other town in Germany as Berlin. I like my town, but Berlin is definitely more of a metropolis, and way cooler as well; the same goes for Hamburg.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.