1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What about the experience?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Rolsuk Fryulee, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Is the experience still split up and what is the max experience? What is your favorite race and class?

[This message has been edited by Rolsuk Fryulee (edited April 18, 2002).]

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They say they are implemeting 3E multi-classing; if so, then your experience is not really "split", you simply choose which class to take a level in every time your character reaches the next "character" level.

They also say your character can reach level 30 in Heart of Fury mode.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I can only add that official current data on the matter is as BTA posted.

There is no experience needed for a particular class to level up. Experience needed to reach next level is the same for all classes - only difference with previous IEngine games is that after you hit next level, you may add another class (something luke dual-classing in BG2, but this time there is no "frozen" first class). This multiclasing however will allow you to combine max 3 classes due to Bioware's strange idea to make engine only for such things (they are keeping the same lame strategy in NWN too - you can't be F/M/T/C there).

Notice that races will have implemented experience penalty - for now it depends only on race, there is no info if "favored" class penalties will be implemented. This penalty will only make certain characters to level up a bit slower, nothing else.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I hope the 3rd edition rulez grow on me. It sounds like a whole bunch of changes. Not really anything different, just a parallax/perspective difference.

But what really slaps me around is that you can't import from IwD1 (not that I was going to). I don't know why they can't write a little 500k import program that converts your character over, and if necessary, lets you select between options when importing to take into account the engine changes...

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The point is: What would have been left from your char after import?
    [*]all your stats would be pointless - due to the change to the point buy system[*]Equipment would be lost anyway[*]Do you really want to start IWD-2 anew with your lvl-26 char from IWD/ ToTL/ HoW ?![*]What if you had e multiclass char - how would he fit in the new 3e multiclassing
    Just a few points ..IMO all good reasons not to include a IWD char import ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  6. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

The reason (or at least one of them) for not allowing characters to be imported, is that if they'd allow that, we'd be able to import lvl 30 characters out of IWD into IWD2. That'd mean they'd have to build the game for a lvl 30 character, which means all we get to fight are ancient dragons and powerfull stuff the like...

I'm happy with the nonimport, as well as the 3e classing. However I don't like the 3max class thing. Then again it might be a good thing, else we'd get stuff like this on the boards:

"Can someone please help me, I'm stuck with my F/M/T/C/Sorc/Barb/Monk/Pal/Druid." :grin:

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

"Do you really want to start IWD-2 anew with your lvl-26 char from IWD/ ToTL/ HoW ?!"

Actually, about 10 minutes after I create my party in-game, I'll use an editor to make my characters level 40/50/60 (whatever 3rd edition rules let you do), and import a kill sword. I've got this nifty one I cooked up, that has a range of 100 or 150 or something. It's like 'Kill Arrows', but infinite.

But that aside, half-Elf F/M/T's are awesome. I usually try to fit in all of the classes, and one dwarf. Don't wanna miss any of the dialogue options from lack of class/race. I never realized just how many dialogues open up if you have a bard in-company.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG]
    Let me just note you that I've specifically demanded from J.E.Sawyer (IWD2 lead designer) to encrypt the saved game files. I'm not sure if it will be made, but start worrying.
    This of course won't affect making of 3rd party mods, just will make cheating pretty hard if not impossible.

9. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] "Actually, about 10 minutes after I create my party in-game, I'll use an editor to make my characters level 40/50/60 (whatever 3rd edition rules let you do), and import a kill sword. I've got this nifty one I cooked up, that has a range of 100 or 150 or something. It's like 'Kill Arrows', but infinite."

Yeah but, wheres the fun in that? I mean you didn't even earn anything or do anything. You'd just hack all the monsters down. It makes no sense for your guy to all of a sudden get this super powerful sword out of thin air. And you don't get that pride in making it far. I wouldn't do that.

[This message has been edited by Rolsuk Fryulee (edited April 22, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Rolsuk Fryulee (edited May 02, 2002).]

10. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

About experience, if you choose a race that has extra advantages, they add ECLs (effective character levels) to your character. So, for example, if you choose a drow (ECL +1), you'll need to get the experience needed for 3rd level, in order to reach 2nd level and so on. Swirfneblins for ex have ECL +3. So they're practically level 4 from the start.

11. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I really appriciate all the answers and comments you guys and girls added, thanks.
    :grin: :happy: :heh: :lol:

[This message has been edited by Rolsuk Fryulee (edited May 03, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.