1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are your opinions on Hellgate London

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Dice, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have been playing this game for a little while and I would say there are both pros and cons to it. Has anyone else tried it yet? I wouldn't say it is the best game that I've played but it has been addicting in a way for me. Maybe it is just the novelty of playing a FPS which normally I never play.

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

No love for Hellgate?

I'll add my 2 cents...

First, the bad.

Apart from releasing the game far too early (EA's fault), they've made the levels too repetitive, made the NPCs too boring, made high level skills near worthless, turned the quests into soulless FED-EX delivery errands, made levelling too slow after level 35, screwed up multiplayer (BRING BACK BATTLENET!), but most importantly, they've blended all the Acts together so there never seems to be any progress as the levels and enemies are ALWAYS the same and there are no memorable end-Act bosses (exceptions are Emperor Gulkar in the British Museum and the massive Tower of London beastie, those were well done) and sub-bosses of considerable difficulty. What made Diablo so replayable is lacking here. They can fix all these problems because the developers and the base for a legendary game are there, the annoying thing is they probably won't, not even for subscribers.

And the good.

This game is serious fun in singleplayer. All out action, just the way I like it. I can only imagine how good it would be if multiplayer was bug-free and as user-friendly as Diablo's Battlenet. The character classes (except evoker) are all fun to play, and the skills scale with character level. Serious character planning ala Diablo 2 is no longer necessary as the system is a lot more flexible. The attention to detail in the construction of London is amazing. The graphics are simply awesome. The interface took a little while to use, but I liked it. The gameplay itself is good, and could be potentially awesome.

And that's the final word on the game: potential. Whenever I play, it's almost like playing an extended beta. There are so many elements here that could make this a great game, it just needs someone to implement it.

3. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Well, guess I'm just going to reiterate what I posted before:

It has potential, but it is marred by major bugs and slowdowns (no doubt due to an early release). Additionally, the game has a terrible way of delivering the story and quests, I got disinterested and to be honest, quite lost with any major storyline quite early in the game. While fun in the hack and slash department, it can only carry the game that far. A mediocre game that comes as a disappointment from ex-Blizzard developers.

4. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

The demo was enough to put me off for life.

I think it illustrates the danger of "from the makers of Diablo 2". Yes, but what did they do in Diablo 2? Did they make the design decisions we came to live? Or did they program the tools? As I see it, HGL suffered from 2 major problems - rushed development which meant lots of bugs, and poor design, which meant you had things like an inventory which doesnt sort, town portals and identity scrolls (which really dont need to be in the game at all, town portal could be an innate ability that costs 0 mana, why not?).

Note I've only played the demo, but it didnt leave me with high hopes for the full game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.