1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What class to dual a barbarian?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, May 20, 2015.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Cleric
    Druid
    Mage
    Thief

He's 1/2 - Orc and some how he can dual class from a Barbarian? I thought Barbarians couldn't dual like Paladins & Monks?

Which class do you think I should pick? Which would YOU pick and why?

Hexat, Jan, & Nalia is a Thief.

Mage is covered by Jan, Aerie, Nalia, Edwin, Nerra (I think that's her name), & Imoen.
    Also Haer Dalis' sort of covers as a Mage kind of.

Jaheira & Cernd cover the Druid.

The Cleric is covered by Viconia, Anomen & Aerie.

So as you can see there isn't really any of them that's not covered??
    Thoughts? Suggestions? :confused:

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You shouldn't be able to dual class a half-orc barbarian, if you can it's probably because of some mod you have installed (bg2 tweaks adds the "Alter Dual-class Restrictions" component that allows you to do this)

Persoally, i feel like you would get the most benefit out of the mage class.
    If you dual your barb to mage, you really don't need the 15/20% resistances to slashing, piercing, crushing and missile damage you get from lvl 15 and 19 respectively since you'll get access to protection spells anyway, just load up on stoneskins and you won't be taking much damage anyway. Also, it'd take a long time to hit mage levels 16/20 to regain your barbarian levels otherwise - getting to 14 is far more doable.
    So i'd stick to barb lvl 13 so you get 4 uses out of your rage ability - this should leave you enough room to get your mage to a high enough level to cast 9th level spells as well.

The only other option imho is cleric - rage + self buffing will probably make you into a pretty badass killing machine, though you'll probably want to hit barb lvl 19 just for the resistances so you can stay alive long enough to dish out the damage then heal before you go down.
    Would take a lot longer to regain your barb levels though, since you'd need to hit cleric level 20 first.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd dual to thief and name him Fafhrd. 'Cause it'd be cool.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Who is Fafhrd? Is he that guy that hangs with the Grey Mouser? Never read anything about them. Is there anything you'd suggest reading up on them? If that's them that is :)

xosmi, Mage it is.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'd prefer fighter/cleric or fighter/thief over a fighter/mage, but that may just be me.

Fighter dualled to thief is always good as a backstabbing hard hitter that can deal a decent amount of damage outside of backstabbing as well. I'd dual at either 9 or 13 for the extra pips and attacks per round - in both cases your thief will be able to level up to 39 (assuming you don't have any mods installed that change level progression or level cap). Best fighter class would be Kensai, in my opinion, as the Use Any Item HLA for the thief will nullify the limitations. Second best would be berserker.

Fighter dualled cleric is just like a normal cleric, but you can actually do some damage in combat as well. Dualling again at 9 or 13, and again the max cleric level will be the same. Best fighter class to dual from would be berserker, I'd say.

You seem to have some mod installed that removes race limitations (at the very least), because, as xosmi says, half-orcs shouldn't be able to dual class (they can multi-class) and mage isn't a valid class for half-orcs either. Nor should barbarians be able to dual (though that's a bit of a silly and arbitrary limitation, if you ask me). Gameplay wise, though, you can replace the berserker above with barbarian, and it is more or less the same.

6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Yes I am using the "bg2_tweaks_v16" that allows the dualing for 1/2-orcs and it allows barbarians to dual as well. Kinda different being able to do these things :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.