1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What classes are good for a solo run?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Vhailor, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

I was thinking a mage or monk but am not very sure. What do you guys think?

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Personally i'd take a sorcerer over a mage - you get less diversity, since they only get to pick a set amount of spells, but they are a lot more flexible because you can cast any of the spells you do know as many times as you have spell slots for that level.
    there's only so much spells that are really useful each level anyway - all other spells you might occasionally cast for utility you can simply cast off scrolls. even with spells that have a limited amount of scrolls available for them throughout the game you could use the project image/simulacrum trick to prevent them from running out.

However, going on a solo run you might want your PC to have thief levels - both for lockpicking (though you can bash open a lot of locks if your strength score is sufficient) but more importantly for finding and disarming traps.
    I'm currently playing through BG:EE with a thief/mage character solo, planning on exporting him to BG2:EE and continuing my solo run there and he's working out pretty well.
    Though lacking a bit in melee capabilities in BG:EE, the buff spells available keep me alive long enough that it doesn't matter overly much, as long as i save my damaging spells for the tougher encounters.
    I can't wait till i have him in bg2 for some mislead+backstab fun though - infinite backstabs for the win :D

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can do it with any class, but spellcasters work best, usually multi- or dual-classed. Sorcerer, figher/mage, kensai/mage, ranger/cleric, mage/cleric, blade, etc.

You don't actually need any thief abilities. Traps are laughable in BG2, it's only worth disarming them for XP, and most locks can be forced or bypassed.

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As Keneth says, you can solo with any class. I've found it to be easiest with a sorcerer, but a R/C is a very strong combination as well. Thief levels can be convenient for certain locks, but in general a F/T multi- or dual-class can be very strong as well. Hide in shadows and backstabbing with a fighter's AC can make many fights a lot easier.

The ability to disable traps is especially useful if you would like to also solo BG. Though if you also want to go through BG solo, a sorcerer is definitely harder than anything with some type of fighter levels. For BG, I think the easiest solo for me was with a half-orc F/T multi-class. A R/C was pretty easy as well, but a tad harder on some of the fights. For a mage or sorcerer, getting the wand of paralysation (or really all wands) should be of the highest priority.

Note that a solo without thief or mage levels would probably miss out on at least the upgraded runehammer +5, as the rune needed for the upgrade is in a locked chest that no amount of bashing is able to open (not even with 25 STR). This is rather vexing for a R/C, for instance.

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    BG is considerably harder without a thief, yes, although a cleric's ability to detect traps and prepare for them helps (but isn't necessary either).

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just finished my solo run through BG:EE with my thief/mage, and having thieving skills made my life a lot easier, especially when tackling durlag's tower.
    I used EEkeeper to give my PC a kit and make him a thief/wild mage - makes your magic a lot more unpredictable, especially nahal's since you'll only ever be able to get lesser chaos shield in bg1 - luckily i managed to summon a nabassu only twice during the entire game, polymorphed myself just two or three times and petrified myself once. :thumb:
    One memorable wild surge for me was when i tried to cast sunfire (fireball centered on caster) through nahal's reckless dweomer, it failed - but the roll caused the blast effect, doing exactly the same as the actual spell would've done. Nothing spectacular, but i thought it was funny when it happened to me. :hahaerr:
    Currently doing a second playthrough of BG:EE with the same character, this time with a full party - There's a few npc's i usually never pick up during my playthroughs that i want to give a shot, and do the neera romance since i haven't done so before - time for the wild mages to have a wild surge of their own if you know what i mean :good:.
    Also i kinda want to see if the potential for wild surge hijinks increases with a full party and 2 wild mages - and of course, getting twice the amount of stat manuals/tomes is also a nice added bonus.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.