1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you need for your computer?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Bahir the Red, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

As you might know, I have got a new computer. I want to optimize this one as much as possible, so therefor, Im wondering what programs are good to have. Im generaly speaking about free stuff to download.

So far I have:
    WinZip
    WinRAR
    Ad-Aware
    Some codec pack
    VCL media player
    WinAmp
    Direct Connect

more?

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

DivX
    Spybot Seek/Destroy
    Mozilla Firefox or Opera (Don't use IE)
    Steam (w/HL1+HL2 CD Keys)
    Trillian
    Quicktime(I don't like it, but you need it sometimes)

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, first off, ditch WinZIP...WinRAR does the same thing, and does a better job too!

As for me:

Security
    Ad-Aware
    Spy Sweeper
    Zone Alarm
    McAfee Virus Scanner

Audio/video players
    Liquid Palyer 5
    QuickTime
    M$ WMP9
    WinDVD

Other
    FreeRAM XP Pro
    Trillian
    Tweak UI (powertoys)
    Nero
    Webshots
    WinRAR

Wow...I'm actually organized today! :rolling:

4. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Ahhh! I feel like a noob! I don't know what trillian is! Argh!

/me adds:
    Win GPG (GNU Privacy Tool, like PGP without patented algorithims)
    Yes, I know "Tool" doesnt start with a G!

Open Office (yayness) (Like MS Office without exorbitant prices... none at all in fact) (saved me from being murdered when I lost the MS Office CDkey during a format)

The GIMP (extra yayness) (Free Photoshop-ish thingy. Hard to use sometimes)

Mozilla Thunderbird (mail client which encrypts and decrypts mail)

All these are useful and free.

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Thanks guys, be sure to add more if you come up with anything. I have a (few) question(s) about Mozilla though: what makes it better than Internet Explorer? Does it leave temporary internet files?

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Trillian is a free program that bundles MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, ICQ, and most importanly, IRC all in one neet program! :thumb: :rolling:

7. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Sweet.
    I'm off to try to find a Mac version.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, some of those seem rather useless when there are 3-in-1 kind of solutions, but guess that is just me. Since you listed DC you are probably into P2P stuff, so do not forget BitTorrent. There are several different clients, but I have found ABC rather good.

9. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

10. Gerrymander Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Mozilla is a nice alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer, but it's not IE core, which means that if you're using Windows, some programs which originally integrated into IE (e.g., Flashget) will now require plugins to function properly. This might not seem a whole big deal, but it gets annoying sometimes. I personally like Maxthon, formerly known as MyIE. It looks and functions very much like IE, but with some significant modifications like split pages, built-in popup blocker, and a personal favorite: mouse movement aliasing! (Arx Fatalis, anyone?) Not only does it efficiently replace IE, it's actually fun to use. And it's free, too. :)

BTW, Flashget is a must for file downloading, while since a lot of media over the web comes in Realmedia format, Realplayer now also has a free version available. As for P2P, get Shareaza. Not only does it have it's own network, it supports both Edonkey and BT downloads, making it an all-in-one P2P solution.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.