1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Belisarius, May 1, 2001.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] How do you feel about the first tourist in space? The millionaire (I think his name is Tito) is spending his first night on the International Space Station...Is it a good thing?

If you could do it, would you?

I think it's pretty cool! I can't believe NASA is making such a fuss over it! If I had $20 million lying around...I'd definitely go up!

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh, it's all just sour grapes on NASA's part. They can't put up a civilian because the last time they tried that it blew up in their face (literally). Instead the guy just takes his money to the Russkies and NASA loses out on a large amount of cash. Sour grapes.

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It reminds me of that movie Contact where the old billionare was living on the space station toward the end of the movie. But as for as the correstness or lack thereof in the situation...well, lets face it. Money makes the world go round. I'm not suprised that the Russians did it. And I wouldn't bet against NASA doind it if they could do it secretly and get away with it. Hey, for $20 million, I'd let him on board a space station. And besides, it's not as though there is really anything ethically wrong with it. It's a sad state of affairs I believe, but hardly morally reprehensible.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think it's quite OK to put Tito in space. It's hard enough to get the funds to run space programs, and if there are people willing to donate so much money for only one trip into space, well, they would be foolish not to take it.
    Besides, Tito had to go through extensive training in which I'm sure they taught him to leave all the shiny buttons alone and just do what the voice in the headphones says.
    Small price to pay for the amount of money he brought in.

5. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Anything can be had for the right amount of jink. . .

But seriously, its hard to get funds for the space programs. Not too many people understand what can be done in space and the benefits that it can bestow on earth. I am a little disappointed that he took his money to the Russians and not NASA.

6. Hrast Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

$20 millions is nothing for space programs.

Russians can now fell like they achived something again, what is necesary becuse of los of the Mir station and they pisted of NASA. Good job!

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That $20 million probably paid for the entire launch plus a sizeable chunk of cash left over.

9. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I'm not so sure about sour grapes, but I don't think NASA likes the idea of the Russian space program fund raising by renting spots. The US civillian was chosen among a pool of candidates because of her merits, not her ledger. Russia is a bit on the underfunded side, and so I would imagine NASA has concerns about their cosmonaut training practices and the quality of their equipment. Also, because the space station is a cooperative effort as I understand it, there is some liability involved. Just my thoughts...

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    The deal was originally for a flight to the Mir station, but since it died before he was able to get there, the Russians offered the space station. You think the Russians are going to risk the loss of their $20 million by undertraining the guy? Not to mention the public relations fiasco if anything happened to him...

And it's not like the Russians made room for him. The mission required only two Cosmonauts, so there was a free space; why not get something out of it? Not only did they get something out of it, I'm sure that $20 million paid for the whole thing and then some...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited May 01, 2001).]

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I agree BTA! That's why I rent the extra rooms in my house...They're open, so why not make a little cashish!?!?

I liked the article...It would be sooo cool to go there someday.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Bel, as soon as I get 80 mil together I'll take you, Darien, and Blackthorne with me. Of course, by the time me and my descendants get 80 million together, there probably won't be any need for it because teleportation from Earth to Moon will be available in phonebooths. Oh well, a man can dream, right? :)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 01, 2001).]

13. Dragonsnake Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

A little late for the discussion, sorry.
    I remember an old sf story, where a guy in the middle of the sentury started a little by little to buy stocks for the space programs (or something similar). 50 years later, he has the biggest investor or shareholder, or something. Very old and very rich, ole!, his only wish was to put his feet on the Moon. OK, he died on the Moon.
    This put me of the idea to buy few shares for the time when the Moon wil be populated. Probably a small investment now will give us some hope to reach the stars?
    Really there could be people to say "no" to opportunity to be in space? At least, not at this board, I wagger.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.