1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What I Like About Christmas

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Harbourboy, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] OK, seeing as I am no longer allowed to post in the negative Christmas thread, I have started this thread because I can't be the only person here who likes Christmas. So this thread is for people to post the things they like most about Christmas.

I'll kick things off:

1) Time off work (has to be good)

2) Buying presents (it is fun to get things for other people that you know they will like to get. Don't have to be expensive. I can buy my brother in law some CD of his favourite band and he'll love it)

3) Seeing my son enjoy Christmas (he had a ball helping out putting up the tree, he asks me to read what people have written in Christmas cards, and is excited about getting presents)

4) Getting presents (I might get Neverwinter Nights 2, if I'm lucky)

5) Christmas mince pies (love 'em)

6) Spending time with my family (I'll spend all day with my wife and son without having to worry about going to work or going shopping or doing garden chores or anything like that)

7) Taking photos (Christmas photos are great because you can tell exactly when they were taken and you can compare them with other years to see how things have changed).

8) Christmas music (you only hear it once a year and it's mostly fun stuff. Even Slade, which you only get in the UK, but which I have a copy of here to play)

9) The weather (in NZ, Christmas happens when the sun is shining and the weather is perfect for a barbecue on the beach)

10) Christmas movies (It's a Wonderful Life is one of my top 10 favourite films of all time)

Merry Christmas!

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

The Swedish christmas traditions (which I described in that other thread). Huzzah for Christmas!

Oh, and it started snowing today. Huzzah again! (even though I don't like snow, it's nice to have it for christmas)

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You forgot pigs in blankets and bubble & squeak! (come on Gaz, I thought you spent some time in England)

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The food. Man I gain 10 pounds every year. Losing it back again make for a not-so-great New Year....

I love to see the smiles when people open presents.

5. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yeh the food, presents and time off are the best part of Christmas. It's also the only time of the year you can get away with doing sod all. I love Christmas specials like Green Wing (which is on this Christmas!), Little Britain and Only Fools and Horses (which sadly isn't on anymore). A few years ago I just used to love the presents but now I appreciate the whole family being together for a few days, gives you chance to catch up with people you would probably never see if it wasn't for Christmas.

It's not your fault they're grumpy guts Harbs. :thumb:

6. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

There is the food stuff for one thing.

... so... much... food...

There is also this atmospheric thing going. The truce, as I like to call it. Christmas, the time of the year where I get together with my parents, and no one brings out the knives. ;) We're all just so happy and sappy. It seems to be genuine, too. Well, not really, but...

Oh, and the music. Brings back memories of times looong past.

7. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

- *limited* amounts of Christmas music

- egg nog (dairies only make it for the holidays)

- being with my loved ones and being happy with them

- seeing varied xmas decorations and lights on houses

- looking out a a dingy, muddy world made clean by a fresh layer of snow ("Snow™; Mother Nature's whitewash" ;) )

- doing (and seeing others do) helpful, charitable things for other people; e.g. a co-worker finishes his stuff early, and offers to help me out with my work - he didn't have to and I was on time and everything, but it was a nice gesture that made me feel a little nicer

(It'd be nice if people didn't limit this behaviour to the 'holiday season' but any excuse for "goodwill toward men" :D )

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    1) Pie.

2) Playing insipid board games with family.

3) Totally Pwnzing my family at insipid board games.

4) Nog (of the "egg" variety, not the one around here...though I'm sure he's full of x-mas cheer)

5) "It's Christmas, Charlie Brown!" comes on

6) "A Christmas Story" comes on

7) loafing

8) more loafing

9) Putting my cat in a stocking, and watching the fun ensue

10) Walking up to women, in groups of 3's, and shouting "Ho, ho, ho!" They almost never get it.

11) Lots of tasty tasty treats of questionable nutritional value.

12) loaf pinching (see steps 1 and 11) aka making my own special ule log (what can I say, I'm festive)

13) Because having just a 12 list would be absurd.

14) Oh yeah! Kwanzaah is made up. It's not real holiday, and therefore, dumb. That's right...Iiiiih said it. Except 'Talk Like a Pirate Day.' Coolest un-holiday ever. Yaharr.

Wurd. :wave:

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ah yes, the food. I hear we'll be having hotpot this year. I haven't had that homestyle in years!

Playing Mahjong with my grandmother. I have to cherish these opportunities because she won't be around forever.

Gatherings with friends who are taking a break from work or studies.

The christmas music - but not excessive repetition.

10. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    What do I like about Christmas? I like giving gifts to my kids. Especially gifts that I know my kids will appreciate and will help them learn.

Even if I'm not happiest at Christmas it doesn't mean there there aren't some things that I like about it. At least that.

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Big ****ing turkey/goose dinner
    Giving and receiving presents
    Walks in the countryside early morning
    Whiskeys, Champaign, Beers, Wines and Bailey's
    Spending time with family

12. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I love everything about Christmas :grin:

Well, except the crowds in the city when I'm, trying to do Christmas shopping :eek: Scary stuff. Luckily I start my shopping in September, so most of it is done for December

13. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I like acting Santa to the only relative that still buys it, my four years old little cousin.
    Other than that, I like to be together with everyone, even though I don't like them all.
    Getting and giving presents (even though I had to buy most of them myself to get what I wanted. Oh well, there will still be a few surprises!) is nice too.
    And after all the chaos has toned down a little and younger relatives have gone to sleep, I can finally grab a good book (I get plenty of books), sit down to the sofa or some cosy chair all by myself, open a box of chocolates and just sit down, listening the (near) silence.
    Then, when the box is empty (or possibly I don't want any more), I brush my teeth and go to bed. It can be very calm here.

Although all that is counter-balanced by the aforementioned cousin, his brother and his sister springing up at 7AM and attempting to destroy the world by breaking all known barriers of sound. Oh well, I can't complain, it's christmas! :)

14. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Food, food, food.

My family has a Christmas breakfast tradition, from my childhood, that involves a massive amount of food, including a couple of odd things: fried oysters, for instance, which were a tradition from my father's childhood. Otherwise the menu is a typical heavy southern American breakfast: eggs, bacon, sausage, country ham, grits (yeah, I know, don't say it), toasted homemade bread, cinnamon pastries, a fruit salad we call ambrosia consisting of orange sections and coconut shreds, grapefruit sections, and usually one or two other items ad libbed by year. God only knows how many years it takes off our lives, but it is GOOD.

It was also the tradition that we found a person from our church or neighborhood who was likely to be alone at Christmas and go pick them up and bring them to our house for breakfast.

Now that we are scattered and both my parents are dead, we usually have the breakfast on the 26th at a sister's house. It is a little bittersweet - there are, metaphorically speaking, empty chairs at the table now - but also a solid connection with roots of the family.

Other things I like about Christmas:

1. The lights.
    2. The kids.
    3. The church music - the sappy pop Christmas songs drive me nuts.
    4. As another poster put it, the truce.
    5. The sense that things are pausing, just for a day or two.

Merry Christmas to all!

15. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Watch 'Scrooged' (the ultimate christmas movie). Then you'll know.

16. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Christmas tree! Making a christmas tree is fun and it's beautiful to watch too! Oh yeah the food, the family, the presents, the music all that stuff too. :p :D

[ December 20, 2006, 23:43: Message edited by: Ofelix ]

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am glad that there are so many of you that find things to be cheerful about at Christmas. Hooray!

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Christmas is ace.

19. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I love christmas! I'm a student so I'm poor. The most fun I had this season was to think what to get to my family and girlfriend with a mere 65$. It's really fun to shop for loved one I say.

20. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I love Christmas: the cosiness, the food, the special atmosphere, the festivity of it all, the family thing, the tree, the decorations...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.