1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What the world thinks of the USA

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Slappy, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Those who haven't seen this, might be interested in watching how this develops. It's a series of programms, features etc by the BBC:

Click here.

PS the vote on the greatest American shows an interesting result :)

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Damn. I'd love to watch this, but I don't have cable anymore. Any chance this will be aired elsewhere? Or at least, could you post some highlights if possible? A transcript would be great too. I'm actually very curious about things like this. Thanks for the heads-up.

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It's possible to watch it over the net.

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It was broadcast over national TV ABC. Anyway it was "nice" and probably will have as much impact on the world as Iraq's WMDs...

5. Iago Gems: 24/31

I watched it too, that is, only fractions of it, because it was rather boring and brought nothing new. Just a quick fast forward of some widley known facts broaght in no context at all.

A litte off topic now: A other TV show recently had the issue, why Bill Clinton is so popular. And i think one of the thaughts brought up there, is pretty true, at least in my opinion. For most non-Americans, Bill Clinton is THE typical American. Bush the younger on ther other hand is not. For Americans themselves, the picture may look different, but the simple point is, that Bill Clinton is much more like the usual American you meet. The one who's "shouting" hello (in a in my country absolute unusual manner) and then get's into that American style of Small-talk. The typical Amerian. On the other hand, Bush seems akward and just not that way. Stiff, whereas the typical Americna you meet is not stiff. Maybe that's because his texan, and those people there are generally unusual stiff compared to other Americans ?

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

You better not go to Texas with that argument, you'll get burned. :D

7. Iago Gems: 24/31

Ahm, I don't plan to cross the atlantic in the near future. And if I would, I'd be a very low-profile and silent tourist. I wouldn't even allow my Gf to wear a chador. :D

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, when it's my turn to visit the US, i'll be as loud and rude as possible. You see, i wanna visit a Yankees game, and the loudness will be me cheering for them, and the rudeness will be me booing the opponents. :D

Sorry, i'm a Dutch footballfan, it's in my blood. :D

9. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

That's interesting....are you being serious or sarcastic about the chador? In other words, are you, and/or your GF muslim?

10. Iago Gems: 24/31

He, he, if I'd be a muslim, would that explain a lot ? No, it was just sarcasm.

11. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

A Shocking reminder of how disliked America is:

On the bright side, i must say that i too believe that Homer is the greatest American.

12. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

There was a report in the newspapers here about how US sentiments have gone down.

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Interesting -

Not to get the thread too off track or anything, but I saw this and just could not resist...

That is interesting, because the "Texan Stigma" as I shall call it, is that we are generally friendlier and more open than most other Americans. Now, I agree that this is a bit exaggerated, as this "Stigma" could be applied to most Americans in the Southern, Midwestern, and Southwestern states. (Especially in comparison to your typical Northeasterner or Northerner).

Of course, it is really all an overgeneralization, and overgeneralizing is one thing that posts in the alley tend to do all too well. :nono:

Rant over

14. Iago Gems: 24/31

At Falstaff. The TV show had one of those stigmas. Southerners in general are more open then the others. And the person that, that Clinton had the "southerner charme", which Bush is missing. That guy should actually know, an American who was here in a talk-show.

15. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Oh, I agree - Clinton has much more of the "Southern Genteel Charm" than Bush does. Probably has something to do with where Bush grew up - the Midland/Odessa area of Texas is known for slightly colder people than in other areas - probably all that sand and oil.

16. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You should watch "Journeys with George" a documentary where a woman is following around Bush during the election with the press corp. A British journalist has some real interesting comments on him. The woman has a sort of crisis of conscience because she entered into the documentary disliking him and his policies but falls for him while she doesn't want to. As the Brit reporter said, "He's a bad speaker, but he is GREAT at shaking hands. Look at him, look at his charisma, look at how people react. He's a great politician and he'a always underestimated."

I think you and others have a naive view of Bush. When he first took office his famous "charm offensive" took place. His education bill was co-authored by a Kennedy for gods sake.

Point is, when he isn't in front of a camera, he is relaxed, charming, and engaging. That's one of the things those who dislike him the most hate about him the most - the ability for him to sit down with opponents and sway them. I think a lot of the view of Bush is developed by a predetermined dislike of his policies - seems like a dangerous way to underestimate an opponent.

The reporter voted in the primary for Harry Browne and Gore in the main election. When she was talking with Bush at one point she asks, "what are you going to do for me if I vote for you?" "I'll give you a little kiss on the cheek." (and he leans over and kisses her on the cheek). He's smooth in person.

EDIT - I don't mean to say you shouldn't dislike his policies. I'm saying it is silly to go from 'I dislike his policies' to 'He's stiff and stupid' because why underestimate your opponent?

[ June 29, 2003, 20:07: Message edited by: Laches ]

17. Iago Gems: 24/31

Laches, what you say may very well be true. High possibility that it is. But it may look different on this side of the atlantic, where no charm offensive has been made. Propably never deemed necessary. Well, the funny thing is, that it was an American, living here, who made this comment. Mayabe he had not a domestic view of Bush in office, because he's living here ?

Now, funny, but both Clintons were here on a charm-offensive tour. Hilary about 3 years ago in Lucerne, in a youth-parliament. On the other hand.

Ashcroft was here recently too. To my dismay, honestly. Meetings with the our justice-minister. Dam, there goes the neighbourhood together with individual rights and liberties.

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Despite all of Bush's lapses and all efforts to make him look like a trained monkey I don't deny his charme and charisma - that made him senator first and then (among other things) made him president. But a nice personality and some wit don't make a good president.

My dislike primarily focuses on what he does and who he allows to determine his policy. I think that we're clear here: Much more than his father he's dependent on advisors. And when you read the PNAC papers you don't need to wonder about anything hat happens today. The people could have known that all along. And as for the lies - hey, who cares ? I just still wonder. Seemingly some charme and media-brain-massage do wonders, but only PR-wise.

And Yago made a good point, no charme offensive in Yurop. We only see what he does, not how nice he kisses babies.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.