1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lord Moeken, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] This may be a boring topic, but WTH, it's my first new one for the year.

I was wondering how people decide on what name's to use for their online identity? I realize that Taluntian is an elven word,
    Hooligan (self explanitory),
    Herf (part of a last name),
    Septic Yogurt (maybe you should clean your fridge!) ;)

My name is a combination of my actual first and last name.

Just wondering about everyone else.

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited January 26, 2001).]

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Belisarius is one of my favorite generals from history. He commanded the legions of the Eastern Empire under Justinian. He re-took Rome, and almost re-united the entire Roman Empire.

I've always thought it was a cool name. Plus, it was the name of the first character I ever played in P&P D&D - A paladin.

I also have a couple of others:

Gandor the Red - Cheesy ripoff of Gandalf, but what do you want? I was 10 or so at the time! He was a mage I played in old D&D, and I'll make him occasionally if I import a multiplayer game.

Lyssander de Soleil - An elven Fighter/Mage/Thief. One of my friends used to run him in a D&D game years ago. I've always thought the name was cool...So if I multiplay, I make him too! Lyssander was a general under Alexander the Great.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You may not get many replies from the veterans here since I know I've answered this question at least twice already... But since it's you Lord Moeken, I'll answer again. :)

Mine is simply a made-up name that I use in the computer games I play when they require a name... I started with Wizardry, and names like Ironfist ThunderHammer and Blackthorne, and Blackthorne kinda stuck. Then a game called "So you want to be hero?" came along which provided a large amount of space for you name. So, just as a joke (and curiosity) I tacked on "The Abominable" to see what would happen; and there you have it! :)

4. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] If you haven't already figured out I like Lexx a lot...

5. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Took mine from a sf novel by James P Hogan.

6. herf Guest

[​IMG] how did u know it was part of my second name?

7. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Actually, it is a result of a frenzied brain demon I had during a sleepless night. :D

8. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Herf,

The great Lord Moeken, knows all and sees all my young Danny boy.

Actually I found it in your copyright infringment clause on a different post.

And no my first name isn't Moe.

Thanks for the reply Blackthorne :) As I stated initially, I know a few of the more 'veteran' names, just thought I'd stir up an old flame. I never claimed to be original or anything.

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited January 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited January 08, 2001).]

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I just enjoy replying! Work's been slow lately. It's either that, or wait for Desperado to throw out the search engine answer!

Just kidding with you Desperado! Wherever you are! :D

10. Wingfoot Guest

interesting topic, dont think i have ever replied to one like this here. well anyway here goes.

Wingfoot is from LOTR of course, used by Eomer to refer to Aragorn, after he, Gimli, and Legolas traveled a great distance on foot in a short amount of time.

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, i call my self Sniper because when i played games like Doom, Counterstrike etc. I tended to camp and snipe...The other reason was because i always used a sniper rifle no matter what in CS...I then decided to call myself Sniper or The Sniper...I personally prefer Sniper without the The. So there u have it. Sniper...

12. hooligan_inc Guest

You can thank yahoo! for my name. When I signed up for an E-mail account, 'hooligan' and 'El Disco Inferno' were already taken, so I justed tacked on the 'inc.' to the end.

Job's a good'un.

13. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

well, i'm fat, i'm shaped like an egg up to my head, so i thought it was fitting.

14. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I just let the keys type for me.
    Kind of freaky sometimes..

15. You'll know if you played BG1/

16. hooligan_inc Guest

[​IMG] Will you explode for me? please?

17. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

can u please blow up? and please dont attack me!

18. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Mollusk was just a funny word my friend and I came up with many years ago. The first time I was on a LAN, I used it as my nick. But everybody said Mollusken in stead of just Mollusk (if you're a Norwegian or close you'll understand), so that is the way.

I've found out that the word has a meaning, but I'm not sure what. In the first book of Discworld by Terry Pratchett (awesome books!), a dead and smelly mollusk is mentioned several times.

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A mollusk is an invertebrate (no internal bones) enclosed in a shell... Like a clam, oyster or mussel...

Mollusken could be and adjective then I suppose, meaning clam-like :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited January 10, 2001).]

20. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Mollusk..Mollusken, I think that's a cool name. I always like hearing how people got their names. There are so many people on the internet these days. After seeing a bunch of common handles over the years I've been online, it's amazing finding out how people came up with such unique nick names. Meeting people from different cultures, backgrounds, interests. I miss my LAN buddies back in Texas. Jerry aka Gerkahn, Mark aka Big Sexy, Clint aka Spawn_, Malcom aka Zeus, and Andy aka Belcher. Coming back to Iowa and living in a new city, it's hard to gather people and create another LAN group. After a year in college, I've gotten about eight people into the whole network thing. Although recently, I found out that in another year when college is all done and over with, everyone will be going their separate ways. Gawd it's so frusterating starting all over and having to meet all new people.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.