1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's OK in games?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Jesper898, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Am i the only one that thinks it is strange that it is ok to shoot your enemies in the groin with a gun or that its ok to decapitate someone with a greatsword in games?

If a person says f***, or you see a naked woman its not ok anymore.

I am sure kids hear a lot more swearing words see a lot more naked women than people getting blown up.

[ November 28, 2002, 12:59: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Well - how likely is it that someone will get a ideas to cut someones head off with a sword? And after recent events I don't think they'll think about blowing people up.

It's basially politics and trying to not get too much suggestive stuff in games

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Since when was it ok that you could blow up people or just slice them up for fun (in games that is, eh)... Lot of protest from my neighborhood..

I cant even watch a normal anime without people starting whining about too much blood

[ November 27, 2002, 21:21: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Jesper, you're not the only one.

Germany will let you do just about anything sexual in a game. But they banned Unreal Tournament.

An "R" movie in France is "XX" on this side of the Lake.

America is run by Baptists and Mormons. Literally. That's who settled the DC area.

And "thou shalt not shed thy brother's blood" mean you have to use a club or mace. Violence was ok, as long as it was Muslims, and as long as it was internal bleeding.

Personally, I'd rather have the sex than the violence. I've always prefered pleasure to pain. Don't know why; I'm just wierd like that.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] As long as neither is too graphic it should be okay... I guees, unless it's just sick or... dodgy

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Um.

Why should you fear sex?

Violent sex is just that. Violent.

It would make a game violent. Violent == bad.

But passionate sex, normally, isn't considered violent. Even the really strange stuff can actually be very, very pleasurable. And really, really violent oral sex performed on a woman can be deadly if you do it correctly.

Heart attacks suck.

7. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

:D :D :D LOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOL ejsmith :D :D :D

8. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'd say that anything goes. It shows a higher level of creativity to be able to do the extremes.

No one can say that in a 1st person game they haven't tried out their weapons on a recently departed corpse and when nothing happens (earlier games) you feel dissapointed that the programmers didnt go that step further. If you're gonna do that, it might as well be made possible.

Tthe same sort of thing would apply for sex.

As long as the game is certified for suitable age groups. Maybe it's just me, but i am capable of leaving the game world in the game, and dont bring the violence into the real world when i stop playing. I guess some people aren't like that, hence why people want stuff to be all nice and fluffified.

9. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It is a highly odd subject.

On the season two of Futurama, Bender uses the word "B*****d" several times, making the program a 12 rating, (Although I consider THAT word one of the lesser swears, as it is used as a gag and playful insult all the time in England)

with that in mind, On the Fellowship of the RIng film, theres a bit where Aragorn decapitates some creature, though I can't remember the exact name, I think its Uruk Hai. Yet the film was rated a PG.

Odd stuff. Violence has taken a large drop in its severity in the eyes of the public, and yet any sexual reference or even minor swear is often looked apon harshly.

some of these game and film moderators need to really think about the whole issue of a film, is it humor, or action?

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I'm telling, and I'm not making this up.

It really is the way it works, whether or not you care to believe it or accept it.

Puritans and Quakers founded America. Protestants.

And, depending on the sect, some of them were anti-everything-other-than-work. Some did not allow any kind of individuality; you had to live within one block of the town center, and you mustered twice a day to "interact" with all your other protestants.

Violence was not accepted, but neither was sexuality. After having to defend against Indians and wolves, this changed a little bit. The only reason why it changed is because an entire camp was wiped out, and the 3 or 4 survivors were taken prisoner by the Indians. The one or two that escaped managed to make it back to another Protestant camp. And after 2 or 3 times, all the Protestants finally realized the Indians really did want them dead.

You could fight, or you could just cease to exist. Period.

So they chose to fight. They didn't like it, but when there's 300 of you to start with, and after an hour, you're looking around at those 150 bodies whom you knew the first and last names of, and it just kind of changes your whole religion.

So, violence (in defense of yourself and those you love) is acceptable. It was acceptable in the Old Testament. That New Testament thing was just put on the back burner out of convience.

So, they started killing. Sex was still bad, because pleasure makes you weak. You needed to suffer to be acceptable in the Lord's eyes.

And, believe it or not, this still carries through 300 years later. Violence is more acceptable than sexuality.

It's changing, little by little. Diseases help curb the change, but condoms and education are taking their toll on Puritan values.

I give it another 20 years before all beaches (except the New England ones, of course) allow women to go topless.

But, in the meantime, I will enjoy the realistic blood of Unreal Tournament 2003.

11. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Indeed. People raised high hell over Duke Nukem 3D because it featured both killing and boobs. I've seen games that are ludicrously violent. I think a few of them are trying to be violent to such an extreme it's funny. (well, because it IS, but that's beside the point. Kicking someone shouldn't make them explode.)

And yet I have yet to see a game where you do the naked dance without it being a fade out.

Just for the record, the word 'bastard' is allowed on the forums.

[ November 30, 2002, 00:38: Message edited by: The Soul Forever Seeking ]

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Games are just games, in which anything goes as far as i'm concerned. :D

13. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yes, i noticed it too, The Soul Forever Seeking, but one question on the topic (or maybe not):
    So if that word is allowed, does it means that english language doesn't have another (polite) word, other than "several words explanation", for the meaning of that word? (i'm talking about the "B" word, just to be shure ;) )

Or, the admin. didn't noticed/remembered that one?

So, is it ok, to use, let's call them semi-swears, if there aren't other words in english or any other language that mean the same? Like that "dog's mother" word? (I feel like in the 50-ies when you had to be careful with your saying or you was blamed to be communist :D )

Edit: 50% less gramatic errors

[ December 02, 2002, 00:27: Message edited by: ToTaL ]

14. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I don't know about any "dog's mother" one. That one's new to me.

So anyways, cultures are strange. Stuff that's like, horridly insulting over in Japan, has no meaning at all over here in the states.

That's why I refuse to take offense at the actual word. It's one thing if that is ALL you use. Your entire sentences consist of those.

I just use them to accentuate everything I was going to say. It actually works really well in print. I can put emphasis on a word without using *this*, or _this_, or this.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.