1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the difference: A thought experiment

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Nathan B, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Nathan B Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm about to play through the entire BG saga (from TuTu through ToB) and I've been thinking. What's the real difference between the two games. Yeah, yeah, I know about kits, and the resolutions, and tab keys, and all that.

Suppose, however, that you are playing through the game with TuTu, so that the same engine is used for both BG and BG2. Now, what's the real difference between the two? What prevents the saga feeling like one really really really big game?

My first thought is the nature of quests. Quests seem to be rather long and involved in BG2, less complex and straightforward in BG.

Any other thoughts?

2. UCLAParadox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

BGI has fewer dialogs between party members and interjections (though this is resolved with the BanterPack).

In BGI, you have to do a lot more random walking around to find stuff where you don't have to in most of BG II.

3. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Here are a few things I can think of off hand.

BG1 w/out Tutu
    No Romance
    Magical Items +2 or greater enchantments are rare
    Quest xp is distrubed amoung the group
    No xp from theiving skills
    Magical Tombs to increase ability scores
    City maps are not open and places are not labeled

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Party banters.

5. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

You don't have to fight that many mages in BG1, there's more of those fighterish types of enemies. You don't actually have to worry about protecting yourself from magic at all(at leeast without TotSC, which I haven't played).

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Which is sensible as at low levels fighters rule and mages are P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C, but in highest lvls mages do command and conquer game rather easily...

7. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Kobold Commandos are dangerous in BG1 *c*

Also no experience for writing spells in BG1 either.

8. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

In BG1 the most nasty thing in the world is an archer type character with a nasty bow. They are absolutely brutal!

9. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

In BG1 bows and slings are your friend. The more characters who have ranged weapon the better off you are to survive. You only need one or two characters good with close ranged combat. All others should be able to fling a weapons at others.

10. aih Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

yeah, in BGII although ranged weapons are nice most of the time close range weapons are more effective in battle, but in BGI u can esaily dispatch most enemies with several long range attackers before they even get close enough to attack.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.