1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who is the Federal Government of the United States?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    For years, and even more recently, conservatives have bitched and moaned about the federal government. Just about everything that was wrong with the nation was a result of the government's great evils. In fact, on a more recent thread on SP, we were reacquainted with the "wit and wisdom" of Ronnie Reagan and his rants about the big bad government.

Well, the very same government now has a face. And guess who is wearing that face?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7614140/site/newsweek/

Yep, the federal government now has a face, and that face belongs to the arch-conservative, loud-mouth Texan, who has done more to make government exactly what conservatives have been complaining about since the days of Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society" programs. I have just one comment to make:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ha! Ha! Ha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[ April 27, 2005, 03:34: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

2. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Don't worry about it Chandos. DeLay has been over the top for too long, and has become a liability to his party. He's about to take the big fall, to hosannahs and cynical weeping. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

3. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Cernak - When I lived in South Houston, I was actually in Tom Delay's district. I had the honor of voting against him in one election, which he won anyway. But I have returned to the northside, where many are still conservative church-goers, but their faith only goes as far as it suits them practically. For instance, although they voted for King George, they are still the first ones to cart their teenage daughters down to the abortion clinic, once they turn-up with an unwanted surprise.

My feeling is that Delay may survive. Again, George is going for broke on the SS issue. I've never seen anything quite like this. George is putting the prestige of his entire presidency on this one issue, even tying himself to Delay. If Delay does get indicted for corruption, Democrats will have a field day with the Bush-Delay connection. But with the King in his corner, Delay has a much better chance of surviving - unless he actually goes to prison, of course.

4. Cernak Gems: 12/31

I think the fact that the ethics committee has even agreed to consider the case is decisive: they've decided DeLay is a liability. I doubt that this arrogant man has been offensive only to Democrats. It could just be an elaborate setup for a whitewash, but I don't think so. At worst, he's going to be brought down a peg; at best, destroyed.

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Who is the government? Why, (You Are) The Government, of course!

hey, sit down and listen and they'll tell you when you're wrong,
    eradicate but vindicate as "progress" creeps along,
    puritan work ethic maintains its subconscious edge,
    as old glory maintains your consciousness
    there's a loser in the house and a puppet on a stool,
    and a crowded way of life and a black reflecting pool,
    and as the people bend the moral fabric dies,
    then country can't pretend to ignore its people's cries
    you are the government,
    you are jurisprudence,
    you are the volition,
    you are jurisdiction,
    and I make a difference too

;)

mmm. Bad Religion.

6. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I'm reminded of what John Adams had commented after his retirement from public life, and he was asked this question: Who were the true fathers of the country?

"That distinction doesn't belong to just one person," he replied, "but to the entire American people."

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I haven't been following politics much but I do know this -- arrogance like the statement Delay made that Chandos reported almost always brings the arrogant bugger down. Think Icarus, flying too high on wings of wax.

This is one of the rare times I agree with Chandos, since I'm about as far right as he is left ;)

8. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

But Lord Keldin, you really can't trust what is basically hearsay. All you have is the word of this one person, who is probably a big dem (this supposedly happened in DC). Show us real proof that Delay said it. How about more witness'.

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, which is filled with Republicans at the moment.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I don't really think whether or not Delay actually said that matters; his actions speak quite clearly enough.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Whether Delay actually said it is immaterial (more on that below) my comment was simply that hubris of the type always ends up destroying the speaker.

When Chandos posts something, I tend to believe it's authenticity, at least insofar as he can verify it -- I don't doubt Chandos' honesty, though I occasionally doubt his politics :D

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Thanks, Depaara - I think.

13. Cernak Gems: 12/31

Nemesis: "The Goddess of Retribution, who brings down all immoderate good fortune, checks the presumption that attends it...and is the punisher of extraordinary crimes."--Oxford English Dictionary

Delay--indeed this whole administration and all its evil and arrogant works--is more than ripe for her attentions.

14. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You know nothing about DC if you think it is run by the Republicans. Most of the people who work there are mid to low level unionized government beurocrats.

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Then perhaps you should let Tom Delay know that next time you see him. He thinks he runs the city. :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.