1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's the toughest?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Divine Shadow, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] So...who or what is the most powerful characther in AD&D? ( Feel welcome to tell about your own characthers as well) I would vote for the Gorgon. As a 25th level figther/wizard he has some wicked spells, really ugly combat abilities, can petrify people and as far as I remember, 3 powerfull bloodsilver weapons.

2. ayecapitan Guest

Monster or Character? There's a difference, and you cannot argue who's the most powerful PC :), so different are the ways of reaching power and definitions of power.

Copper wyrms are my favorite powerful creatures, though they are certainly not the most powerful, but there's something in them so relating to my interests... :)

3. Err, I've heard it metioned loads of times, but what exactly is the tarrasque (sp)?

4. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I meant named NPC's. ( And any really tough munchkin PC's you might have run :D )
    The tarrasque is an enourmous reptillian horror. If I remember corretly low-level PC's are killed if they see it, it has a ton of hitpoints, easily does 50 points of damage, you need +3 weapons to hit it and it can only be killed by a wish spell after you reduce to -30 hitpoints (wich of course means it can regenerate). It is worth 107000 XP so it's pretty tough.
    But still...a powerfull wizard like the Gorgon or should be able to kill it.
    That reminds me of my old villain lord Gairon, ( true ghoul noble elven fighter/mage) I played in a kind of online-campaign on ulthuan.com.
    He was loaded with spell sequencers,
    spell triggers and contigencies that made him practically immortal.
    Each time the others killed him, I found a lame excuse for bringing him back.
    Are any of you here on this site?

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] What is a tarrasque? YOu don't want to know. In any normal D&D campaign you should never see a tarrasque. Just leave it at that.

Tarrasque

Colossal Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 48d10+576 (840 hp)
    Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
    Speed: 20 ft.
    AC: 35 (-8 size, +3 Dex, +30 natural)
    Attacks: Bite +57 melee, 2 horns +52 melee, 2 claws +52 melee, tail slap +52 melee
    Damage: Bite 4d8+17, horn 1d10+8, claw 1d12+8, tail slap 3d8+8
    Face/Reach: 40 ft. by 40 ft./25 ft.
    Special Attacks: Frightful presence, rush, improved grab, swallow whole, augmented criticals
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 25/+5, carapace, immunities, regeneration 40, scent, SR 32
    Saves: Fort +38, Ref +29, Will +20
    Abilities: Str 45, Dex 16, Con 35, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 14
    Skills: Listen +21, Spot +21
    Feats: Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Iron Will

Climate/Terrain: Any land
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Level: 20
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 49+ HD (Colossal)

Combat

Frightful Presence (Su): The tarrasque can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed at a Will save (DC 26) or become shaken, remaining shaken until they leave the area of effect.

Rush (Ex): Once per minute, the normally slow-moving tarrasque can move at a speed of 150 feet.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the tarrasque must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with its bite attack. If it gets a hold, it can try to swallow the foe.

Swallow Whole (Ex): The tarrasque can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Huge or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+8 points of crushing damage plus 2d8+6 points of acid damage per round from the tarrasque’s digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 50 points of damage to the tarrasque’s digestive tract (AC 20). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The tarrasque’s gullet can hold two Huge, four Large, eight Medium-size, or sixteen Small or smaller creatures.

Augmented Criticals (Ex): The tarrasque threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18-20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Carapace (Ex): The tarrasque’s armorlike carapace is exceptionally tough and highly reflective, deflecting all rays, lines, cones, and even magic missile spells. There is a 30% chance of reflecting any such effect back at the caster; otherwise, it is merely negated. Check for reflection before rolling to overcome the creature’s spell resistance.

Immunities (Ex): The tarrasque has fire, poison, and disease immunity.

Regeneration (Ex): No form of attack deals normal damage to the tarrasque. The tarrasque regenerates even if disintegrated or slain with death magic: These attack forms merely reduce it to -10 hit points. It is immune to effects that produce incurable or bleeding wounds, such as a sword of wounding, mummy rot, or a clay golem’s wound ability. The tarrasque can be permanently slain only by reducing it to -30 hit points and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead. If the tarrasque loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6 minutes (the detached piece dies and decays normally). The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Skills: The tarrasque receives a +8 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks.

As I said if you ever see one, and there is only one your whole party is very dead no matter what their lvl.

6. Sol'Kanar Guest

Hehe, actually I was thinking of including one in my campaign. Not for the PCs to actually have to fight, of course. I just think it'd be fun to get in there somehow.
    Surprisingly enough, though, the Terrasque only gets a challange rating of 20. I say "only" 20 because it has incredible stats and there are creatures with higher CRs. The titan, for example, has a CR of 21. It's stats aren't as jacked, but it can cast spells as a level 20 wizard and a level 20 cleric, in addition to many spell-like abilities. A great red dragon has an even more impressive 25 challange rating. Not only are they powerful spellcasters, but there fire breath can take out just about anything, doing a massive 24d10 damage. So, despite the fact that the terrasque is a huge, nearly unkillable creature who can swallow and army, the low intelligence limits its deadliness.

[This message has been edited by Sol'Kanar (edited August 07, 2001).]

7. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yes, I agree. I think the Tarrasque's CR should be higher. Maybe more like CR 26-30. I mean geez, 25/+5 damage reduction, regeneration 40, SR 32, etc, etc. I think that it's only downfall is that it can't fly or cast spells.

[This message has been edited by Vile (edited August 08, 2001).]

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I maybe wrong about this but I think when they did the CR assignments 20 was the highest. Since the rule only go up to level 20 so far a CR of 20 is the highest allowed. By defination a CR of over 20 means your would need to be over 20th level to reasonablely defeat the creature.

9. Sol'Kanar Guest

Of course, but then, D&D is designed for multiple people to play. Plus, there is the promised level 21+ rulebook.

10. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Tarrasque, as a monster in a campaign is useless. I say "the" because there is only one. This is an eating machine designed to give ultra high level characters a nearly impossible task. If you have characters that can defeat this creature it is time to retire them and make new ones.
    For the most difficult creatures, not including ultra high level NPC's, I would have to say that on the Prime Material Plane, Dragons rule. If played correctly, they are nearly invincible.

11. NoYur_Role Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Also there are many dieties, gods, and heros which could destroy it. But I'm not sure how far you where looking....

12. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The DM :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.