1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's the true tank?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Lady Constance, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Lady Constance Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ok, I have a little too much time on my hands. I have to. I decided that when I reached the pocket plane, I would find out of the three male NPC's who would end up the best "tank" between the following...

Saervok
    Minsc
    Anomen

I had the three equipped as follows:

Saervok weilding Two handed sword +3, wearing Gorgon Plate +4

Minsc weilding Lilacor wearing full plate +2

Anomen wearing Armor of the Hart, weilding Hammer of thunderbolts +3 (Ano, CN)

I decided to conduct a bit of a "pit fight", one on one between these three NPC's...the rules, nothing but your weapon and armor, no healing or other spells during combat, no cheats....

I put Anomen agaist Minsc, and allowed Minsc to take the first shot. Anomen won. He struck down Minsc in the matter of seconds. I placed Saervok against Minsc, Saervok won. So, It was between Anomen and Saervok.

The Anomen/Saervok battle was interesting indeed, they were toe to toe, blow for blow, each other's equals. Both severely wounded, and down to what seemed to be the last blow, Anomen got it in and Saervok lie dead at his feet. Wondering if the outcome would be different, I put the two against each other a second time, and Anomen won again.

My conclusions...If you are looking for the best most powerful tank out there, take CN Anomen, and then do what I normally do, and equip him with the Crom Faeyr, Armor of the Hart, and you can literally turn him into a killing machine. BTW, if you didn't know this, Ano can grand master in weapons, and by the time we reach Amkethran, I usually have him Grand mastered in warhammers, allowing him to use Yaga-Sura's too. Ano and Saervok have some good game banters too, Ones of taking each others eyes out.

Just thought this interesting.

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

What about our mad dwarwen berserker? Considered pitting him agains Anomen? :)

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Then again Ano is lucky indeed that Sarevok did not score a Death Bringer Asault. :D It wouldn'T be pretty otherwise. :shake:

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Indeed, Deathbringer would have splattered him badly.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

So, there is no best tank. It is just some luck?

BTW, Korgan dual-wielding CF and that vorpal, regenrating ToB axe, all TRUE GM in them, with his berserk...hmm he is formidable too!

But it still seems Minsc is the weakest? Give him a vorpal Two hander too! And watch heads drop!

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

yeah, i was wondering that already, what about Korgan?

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Heck, you have to consider Keldorn too. Holy Avenger +6 anyone?

I think the problem with this analysis is that the damage you do is heavily dependent on your strength. Anyone wielding Crom Faeyr has a significant advantage over someone who isn't simply because of that humongous +14 damage modifier for a 25 strength. So yeah, I imagine that Korgan dual wielding the AotU + CF would be able to take on just about anybody. But similarly, if you invested the necessary points in axes and war hammers with MInsc, and similarly equipped him, I think you'd find that the same would apply to him.

To really do it fairly, you'd have to use SK to give everyone the same proficiencies, stength, armor, and the same weapon. You'd probably have to modify the dexterity so the more dextrous characters wouldn't get bonuses to AC for dexterity too. Of course, if you do that, then there is no question who would win over a large number of trials - the character with the most hitpoints obviously. The only other X-factors to consider are special abilities, and in that we'd have to consider Korgan's berserk, Minsc's berserk, and Sarevok's Deathbringer Assault. Of those, Korgan and Minsc probably are more useful, even though they don't do as much damage as Sarevok's because you get the ability on command.

Anyway, for my money - just going on the most hp will outlast other most of the time, my money is on Sarevok.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am also wondering where Keldorn and Korgan are.

9. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Hmm, from my own experience: Kogan with that Vorpal axe+5, which name no one can remember, and with good armor can and will hack trough anything, his berserk giving him the final edge in tight places. Even without anyt super equipment, he can sweep the floor with just about anything.
    I have very positive experiences about him, as well as Keldorn.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

:rolleyes: Could they be *gasp* not in Lady Constance's party up to that point? :p And thus not even for testing at the moment? Ye of much pickyness. :shake:

If you want to make a comparison of the others, go ahead and do it, don't just b**** about how they're not included. Lazy bums. ;)

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Who are you calling laz....eh, I can't be bothered arguing with you about it. :p

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Easy, guys! Do not start a fight. :smash:

Keldorn can be a tank as well, I guess, once he has Bracers of Dexterity.

That vorpal axe was axe of unyielding or something like that?

Korgan's major bonus in his usefullness is his dwarven saving throw bonuses, he has the best saving throws and thus much more durable against enemies with spells and special powers. He definitely is a tank!

Though if you want the best tank for defense, good old Jaheira is the best candidate, with her Ironskins, lowest AC, she is hard to kill. She is rather weak on the offense, but covers up the fact with her summons and many many useful spells like IPlague and CDoom, for instance. And she can heal. And she can cast a HARM spell! Harm spell will instantly reduce the victim down to 1 HP, no saving throw is allowed, though MR can and will stop it cold.

What say you for good old Jaheira? (please do not start bashing, I do fancy her)

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Why? Anomen didn't and he apparently kicked booty across the pocket plane. :lol:

But, I agree with Fel. Lady C most likely only had Minsc, Anomen and Sarevok in her party and probably didn't care about the others to summon them.

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    But..but...to not include Korgan? I've seen him wipe out an army all by himself in ToB. Yaga Shura's (sp?) minions in fact. He is absouletly my favorite! Now I'll have to pull ToB out and try him against the others.

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Aldeth, if you made them the same way with SK, then it would be luck. You keep their stats, which is what makes them different, but equip the same weapons and armour.

16. starwalker Gems: 16/31

Korgan is damned Destructive. He is the one I'm wondering how he fairs. I know that Keldorn's class and Kit give him certain broad superiorities but I think between the Axe of Unyielding's affects and Korgan's starting point of 5 in Axe's could match him. Even with lesser Axe's he can do a lot and he has two ways to go that you can set him up for early on. Dual Wielding and Sword and shield.

Sword and shield he can get some serious Armor ratings going because he does have one of the better dexterity scores in the game. Something like the Sentinel in his hand is almost tailor made for this.

Dual Wielding he's got the bonus of Only needing a single proficiency which he already has 5 in for A few differen't +3 axe's that most carry extra special damage. Sadly his alignment stops him from wielding Azure Edge...

I may just have to try this one some time.

Edit: Though I will point out that in Lady Constance test that Anomen did have 1 better ac. Though that really doesn't matter all that much at high level.

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have never had Korgan do Sword and Shield. I always think of him and axes. Wonder what kind of killing machine he would be? His defense would be better but would his offense?

Lady Constance has brought a new light upon this game. Set your party members at each other. Who is the better mage? :doh: Dumb question: Edwin although ..er :yot:

18. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Jaheira and Haer'Dalis are hands down the best tanks in BG2. Iron Skins, Stone Skins, PFMW.....

19. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'd still back Jaheira over any of them at the start of ToB, unless they had vorpal weapons.

Iron Skins turns the tide of that battle considerable, since it's a bit inaccurate to say that instant-cast defensive spells are not permitted for a tanking test. Being able to ignore hits for a round or two (even Deathbringer Assault, IIRC) makes a big, big difference as far as survivability is concerned.

And as Drew has mentioned, Haer'Dalis (or any Blade, for that matter) can tank with the best of them as well. HP doesn't matter if you can't be hurt.

20. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hell, if the definition of 'tank' doesn't include the ability to cause melee damage, then I reckon Edwin is the best tank in BG2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.