1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mollusken, Aug 25, 2000.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Of course, we all know that Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are entertaining games. But who's with me when I say that at least Might & Magic 6 and 7 is better (I have to admit that 8 was a downer)? I think the games have a cooler and more action filled way of playing....and it's just much cooler!

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I'm going to start by saying that the last M&M game I played was III - I know things have changed. I believe they are worlds better now but I didn't really like it. I mean it was OK but BG was so much better, and for something from it's time even Bard's Tale. The graphics and other tech aside (it was a few years ago) I just didn't like the feel. I think part of it is that I have played AD&D for over 15 years I love the system. But part of it was the mood. Again that just my opinion but I rather play IWD or BG2 then any new M&M game. You could disagree...

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited August 25, 2000).]

3. I bought Might and Magic 6 and 7 and sold them on ebay shortly afterwards. I was a big fan of the first 3 games in the series, I even wrote the company saying how much I was into the games (and got a personal response!).

But Black Isles games feel fresh and different, while keeping the AD&D universe gameplay that we all know and love. M&M has not evolved at all. Not one bit. :rolleyes: 6, 7, and 8 all look exactly the same. Which would be okay if you were really really into it, but I'm not. "Whack-A-Mole" has gone out of style, in case you haven't noticed :p

Baldur's Gate and Icewind are both better games than every Might and Magic game put together, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited August 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited August 26, 2000).]

4. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Hmmm, I enjoy all the games to be honest. Both types (MM and BG/IWD/etc) have different styles but what kept me at them was the storyline in them, I prefer the plot orientated games or they get very boring very quicly. If I had to choose, it would probably be the D&D games though bacause the MM ones can also have me very pissed off very quickly at times too and there's a few things that just plain do my head in with them. I do really like them overall though!

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I really can't choose. They're all good, so why should we choose? How can you choose between games which each revolutionized the RPG genre in different ways? Its just not done. Tisk, tisk, tisk, I'm very dissapointed.

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Who cares about when something went out of style, Lord Balduran? Nobody should give a rat's ass about when what went out of style in gaming. 2-D graphics in games went out of style years ago, yet I'm sure the old 2-D games that started it all are still respected by all those who have a brain! So, who cares about style? As long as its a good game, thats all that matters. Or do you disagree with me Lord Balduran?

7. No Eggman, don't get me wrong. I love the classics and spend hours playing them still. I estimate that I have poured about $1,000 worth of quarters into Galaga, for example, and I still play that game every week. You can ALWAYS find a place that has the Galaga game, as old as it is, because it was suck a kick-ass game. And I have a ton of classics on my PC (BTW does anyone know where I can get a slowdown program for win 98?)

My beef with the M&M series is that the last 4 games are only distinguishable from each other by the graphics, which although always outdated, get slightly better each version.

Ok, you can argue that Black Isle used the Infinity engine in Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Icewind, and the upcoming Baldur's Gate 2. But each of these games have a completely different focus, different gameplay types, graphic styles, etc.

New World Computing needs to go back to the drawing board and do some really innovative things with this tired, outdated, repetitive series. It was kind of fun the first time around, in the dark ages of RPG's when the only real competition was Daggerfall, but it got old fast.

Hopefully the upcoming Wizards and Warriors won't run into the same problems. The old Wizardry games were awesome!

8. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] Yeah, Galaga and Wizardry series rock, but I must argue that M&M also kicks ass and they are all awesome games.

9. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Lord Balduran:

I don't agree with you when you say that the games doesn't improve or develop. From M&M 6 to M&M 7 you have a major improvement in the graphics. You also have a few new characters to play, a few new rules for skills, new kinds of magic, a new land, new monsters, new weapons and armor and a different story, but it still does have a connection with the story in M&M 6.

In M&M 8 the graphics doesn't improve that much, but the rest of the improvements are the same. This time the character stuff is different: you hire NPC's in stead of creating four own characters. The story in M&M 8 is totaly different, but have a small connection with the lands of M&M 6 and 7.

10. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] Let's face it, it isn't graphics that matter in rpg's. It's the playability and storyline. If a game's got an engrossing storyline, like Planescape, people will play it. It's that what counts.

11. hooligan_inc Guest

Once you've had caviar, you can't go back to Bacon Butties, and I couldn't stand playing Might and Magic (any of 'em) after BG's great visuals.

12. Well, most other RPG's can now display your characters on the screen!!! Imagine that Might and Magic fans, imagine that!

I'm just not that into the overall worlds of Coran, Zon, Xeen, or whatever the hell they are. Maybe it looks better on your pc, but on mine M&M was...I had nightmares about it. It was like paper cutouts, pictures of real people, glued to stiff, fake looking wooden dolls with jerky animation.

Standard "Graphics don't matter in an RPG" disclaimer that is required to post here ****************************************************************
    I have to have my graphics. Graphics are good, Graphics rule. Look at that smooooth animation. OOOOOOOooooooo love the graphics. What was I talking about before I started smoking this?
    *********************end of disclaimer****************************

Anyway, M&M may well be good as you say, but I played it for over a week and just couldn't get into it. However, I don't think anyone but diehard M&M fans (give your selves up now! You are surrounded!) think it is better than the BG games. Puh-leeze :p

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited August 30, 2000).]

13. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Like I said they're both good, and I get pissed when someone chooses one over the other. The height of my day is if I can get to two new areas in the M&M series, now that is difficulty! M&M 3 revolutionized graphics, I mean considering graphics in other games made in '91. Although Ultima Underworld came only a year after amd featured textures, many different graphics, real time-lighting, many different surfaces, moving water, and most importantly fully rotatable 3-D aswell as the ability to jump. And such gameplay features as many puzzles, and quests, easy inventory, point and click battles, comprehensive rune and spell system, lots of dialogue, an awesome story-line, many cool monsters and characters, and a really good character creation system. Notice I listed practically all I could think of. Now nobody can argue with that.

14. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

I'm not a die hard M&M fan, and yes a lot more can be done with graphics nowadays. But what I was saying WASN'T that graphics don't matter balduran, and yep, the M&M games are lacking in that department in many aspects, BUT THAT'S THE STYLE OF THE GAME! BG has it's style and interface, the M&M games have their's.
    I only bought the M&M games last year (a collectors edition M&M6 that also had the previous five games and also bought7 and 8) and I find it easy to get into them. I can see that it's not what everyone likes, but I find them good.
    I also agree with Egg about people going on about the BG/M&M thing, and would like to know how games with a different style (first person RPG, and the viewed slightly from above styles) can be compared. Obviously people have their favourites, but is there really a need for people to try to put the others down so much?
    It's either the playground "my computer's better than your console" (or vice versa) argument (which really annoys me esp. in magazines) or it's insecurity of penis size complex in my opinion.
    DISCLAIMER: This is obviously not intended to seriouly offend anyone, merely illustrate a point in a joking fraudian therapist takeoff and I've said before about my sense of humour. Also no animals were harmed in the writing of this post

15. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

I laugh at thee, Lord Balduran!

16. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Hahahaha! Vermillion, thats one of the funniet things I've heard yet! Kudos! Now on to other matters, nobody mentioned anything about ultima underworld, and after all that stuff I listed (*sniff* *sniff*). So, WHAT IN THE BLOODY HELL DO YOU THINK OF ULTIMA UNDERWORLD!?

17. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

Sorry, the only Ultima game I've played is Ultima 4, on the master system, many years ago. It took ages for me to complete, but it was a great game. Hence I can't give an opinion of Ultima Underworld, but apparantly the Ultima games all great RPG's.
    DISCLAIMER:the only thing harmed in the making of this message was a packet of crisp's I was eating. But It's in a better place now.

18. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] The Ultima series was a great set of games. The first 3 were a little lacking in the graphics area but look when they were made. Ultima IV is when they finally got things together. I remember spending a year trying to beat Ultima V. Those magic axes ruled! I played a little of VI but I kind of drifted away after that. But I can say the ones I played were great games. A much better world then M&M.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.