1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why are Ettercaps giving me so much trouble?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by DarkSpider, Oct 3, 2002.

1. DarkSpider Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It seems bizarre, but the only "traveling encounters" I ever have now are packs of Ettercaps, or packs of Wyverns and Giant Spiders.
    And every time I see the Wyverns, I breathe a sigh of relief.

I can't seem to get through one of these Ettercap battles without losing someone, usually to a combination of being stuck in a web and being poisoned.

Wyverns give me no trouble at all, oddly enough.

My levels are 5-6.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, where can I get a Fireball scroll for Dynaheir? The mage in High Hedge has Flame Arrow, but Flame Arrow ain't Fireball. Although presently, I'm finding Haste more useful than Fireball might be.

2. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Use a thief to disarm the traps before you set them off, there are a lot of them! Have your thief hide in shadows until you get to the trap, so you don't get killed. I thought this was one of the hardest areas in BG ;) Don't know about the fireball scroll, you might have to wait untill you get to Baldurs Gate.

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

You are in the Cloakwoods right? I always hate when I get Two Wyverns, 3 Ettercaps and 2 Giant spiders there. The Ettercaps alone are reletivly simple if you divide up your guys so that there are 2 per Ettercap. Gang up your mages and one archer on one, your strongest fighter on one, and the other two characters on the last one. As soon as one goes down get your guy over quick to the closest one. Have someone ready with Slow Poison. That should take care of it. I always got them in packs of three, so I'm not sure what to do if you get more than that.

As for your scroll of fireball, you're out of luck as far as a scroll goes, but... you can get a Wand of Fireball at the farm North of The Friendly Arm Inn(the one with all the Ankhegs. It's in the Ankheg lair in the middle of the map. It's just a big hole in the ground.)

Hope that helps

4. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Is there not a fireball scroll sitting around the bandit camp somewhere?

5. User Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

There is a fireball scroll in the bandit camp.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There is one in the bandit camp. IIRC its in one of the first huts you come across while going north, just to the side a bit of where the guy with the hammer is. I have fond memories of that scroll... :evil:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.