1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why Are The Democrats So Scared? You Would Be Too

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Take a look at this. It is from a transcript of MSNBC's Countdown:

WTF, I mean really, this has to be a new bottom for "conservative" pundits. And just when you thought they could not get much lower. Here's more:

Gore is not even in office any longer. He is not even a politician at this point. It is no wonder that Demomcrats, and everyone else, for that matter, are afraid of being attacked by these minons of the "American Way." :rolleyes:

Could be, but it's little wonder that anyone with any sense would want to run for office these days. Still the idea of a Gore comeback seems to be real enough to scare the conservatives into their swift boats this far from the election. Gore could be for real.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13065636/

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't know if they are specifically attacking Gore per se, but anything coming from a Democrat at large. The news for the Republicans is rather grim. They are facing the real possibility of losing one, and possibly both houses of Congress this fall. Spin though they try, one point where the Republicans have always fallen short is in regards to the environment. Given all the other bad news they've suffered through in recent months, they certainly don't need people rushing to see Gore's movie. I believe it's only a matter of time before the Republicans draft up some new anti-abortion legislation or anti-gay marriage legislation. When times are hard, it's always good to know you can go to your bread and butter issues to rally the seemingly ever-shrinking base.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Even South Park took a shot at Gore in their "ManBearPig" episode. The mythical creature espoused by their "I'm thuper theriouth" (note the wimpy lisp) Gore-bash was supposedly half man, half bear, and half pig. (Yes, that's one-and-a-half. *sigh*) Naturally, the creature did not actually exist, and was just Gore's attempt to get attention. Can anyone smell the global warming likening? :rolleyes:

Utterly ridiculous and far too obvious, but I did love the episode for the line, "Dude, did Cartman just crap treasure?" :grin:

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I may be taking this thread in a direction it wasn't intended, but the democrats should be scared. The republican party is arguably at its lowest point it has been in decades. Yet, the only message the democrat's leadership can come up with is "Bush stinks, and they are all a bunch of crooks". Then what happens we have scandals with democrats caught with bribe money being stored in their freezer.

The democrats have/had a great opportunity to deliver a message about what they believe in and their roadmap for the future. The population is/was ready to listen. Instead they let the far loony left control the agenda and so far have gained nothing.

As a conservative I shudder to think what would have happened if the democrats had a real leader. The mid-term elections would have been a formality, instead the democrats retaking Congress is only considered a possibility.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Which agenda is that? I'd really like to hear all this because it is something I'm not aware of. The Dems have the "me too" party in the opnion of many (myself included). I guess being on the left makes me a "loon," in your opinion, but that's fine, since the notion of America having a "real leader" seems to be something that makes you "shudder."

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree. As a nation it has been many years since we have had a real leader. The only one I have ever known was Reagan. The last democrat was probably Roosevelt.

My point was if the democrats had a centrist leader who could control the more extreme members of the party (hence the loony comment) they would have easily swayed millions of middle of the road voters to their party. Instead we have a President with record low popularity and the opposition is unable to capitalize on it.

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    TGS - The left has such little influence on current policy that it is not even taken seriously by the Democrats any longer. On the other hand, the conservatives have been taken w-a-y too seriously by both parties. But the country is shifting back to the center again since 9/11, which is a good thing. John Kerry was more in the center than George II has ever been, but that did not help in in the last election. But things have finally changed.

Reagan was good leader in my opinion as well, but Bill Clinton was still a better president than Reagan was regarding real policy. But even Reagan lied over the Iran-contra scandal. Again, more manipulation...

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

But if the Best the Democrats can campaign on is that they aren't George W., that's no advantage--Geroge W. can't run again either...

The Democrats, if they want back into the White House, need someone that can win the election, not bank on the Republicans losing it...

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Not being a republican, in our current climate, is probably advantage enough.

10. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Actually, An Inconvenient Truth is a pretty good film... there are some annoying political biopic moments, but overall it seemed to me the film made a strong argument on global warming, in addition to showing off Gore in a positive light and puncturing a few canards from the last election (parts are shot in the Gore family farm that he was supposed to have made up...)

No wonder the usual suspects are at it again with the misdirections and deflections...

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I thought this was a good read

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Typical. Bill Clinton never deserved to be impeached. In fact, the whole "culture of impeachment" as a political weapon was started by the Republicans during the Clinton years. Sorry, but the author of the piece tipped his hand when he went off on Clinton. Quite typical for these folks I would say.

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Since when in our (or any) legal system is "deserving" a component of determining if someone should be prosecuted? He lied under oath in a court of law. That is called perjury. Perjury is a crime. He was prosecuted. End of story.

Now I agree with you that if they had removed him from office (I can't think of the actual term off the top of my head), that would have been over the top.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    No, sorry. You are wrong here. He was NOT convicted. The House brought charges, but they were dismissed by the Senate. In other words, he was found not guilty of a crime. It was entrapment. Bill was on trial in the Paula Jones case, (something which Ken Starr had no right to charge him with anyway), and an unrelated story of how he was involved with Monica was brought into the case with the desire to merely discredit the president in an affair with another woman. The question was inapporpriate to begin with. Sorry, but it is hardly as simple as you would like us all to believe.

15. Captain Jean-Luc Picard Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

lets play the spin game!

16. Drew

Media:
    Actually, lying under oath only constitutes perjury when the lie has something to do with the case in question. Given that whether or not Bill Clinton recieved oral sex from Monica Lewinski bore no relevance to the Paula Jones case, Clinton's lie did not fit the legal definition for perjury.

17. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Let's see. This topic is about Al Gore's warnings about Global Warming, and the rabid, hysterical attacks that were made on it by the far-Right pundit industry. Aldeth pointed out how the neo-cons will use their favorite tactic of launching violent attacks in their "theme" areas to distract the public's attention. A couple of conservative posters pointed out that Gore is passe. And what is the current hot topic on this thread? The stains on Monica Lowinsky's dress! Thanks for keeping us up to date, guys. Talk about passe!

So I will say that anyone who wants to talk about dress stains is trying to change the subject. (If you really want to talk about dress stains, start a new thread. Maybe someone still cares.) And why do that? Because the real subject is uncomfortable. Tell us--you can use more than twenty five words--why Global Warming is a myth, without referring to the Nazis, Joseph Goebbels, or Adolf Hitler, those renowned experts on the environment. Tell us, with verifiable, scientific evidence, that Al Gore is full of crap.

18. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The real question is whatr can the democrats do differently that will slow down Global Warming without collapsing the economy on top of itself? So having the White House supported by the oil lobby doesn't help, but if you're going to raise an alarm about Global warming, then get some answers on what to do about it.

19. Drew

Media:
    I'm pretty sure that the rising sea level which will inevitably (if we fail to adress the problem) put most of Florida and much of Western California, Oregon, and Washington State under the ocean will ultimately be a hell of a lot worse for the economy than any envioronmental regulation we pass now to prevent it from happening. However, if the economy is really that important, I guess it'll be OK to ignore the environment for now. It'll eventually go away on its own.

Incidentally, the economic cost of environmental regulation has been greatly exaggerated. Environmental regulations are not going to destroy our economy. Thinking long term, they will actually serve to protect it.

[ June 21, 2006, 07:09: Message edited by: Drew ]

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hell, even if it does collapse the economy, we are talking about the only place we are capable of surviving - namely planet earth. It's not like if earth tanks we can get up and move elsewhere - at least not yet. I do not doubt that most if not all environmental regulations will ultimately have an economic cost - and potentially a very steep cost in some cases - but can we really put a price tag on how much our planet is worth?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.