1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why do wizards of the Coast books suck so much?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Bassil Warbone, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I have read a lot of WotC books lately and most of them are a waste of a good premise and/or papper. some of the ones I have read are: Heirs of Prophecy, Keep on the Bourderlands, Caverns of Chaos (or Caves of Chaos?) And the Baldur's Gate Series (Gag). What has your experience ben like with them lately?

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've avoided them for several years now. Just accept that they suck and move on to the thousands of awesome books that are out there.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I find a good author and stick with them. I read the Forgotten Realms series (I can't get into the Dragonlance universe) and I read Richard Lee Byers, Richard Baker, Troy Denning (at least his 'Return of the Archwizards' series was good), R. A. Salvatore and my favorite Paul S. Kemp (his Erevis Cale books were awesome in my opinion).

Special reference to the word 'opinion' since that is mostly what liking something is about. Bassil, to redeem WotC try reading the War of the Spider Queen, The Year of Rogue Dragons, and The Erevis Cale series.

4. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Years ago I loved reading TSR books and then I became a workaholic and then suffered a bad head injury and realized I had lost the ability to read. When I started to recover I thought I would start back reading something easy and that I enjoyed. My Mother bought me some WotC titles because she knew I loved D&D. These books made want to loose the ability to read forever :grin:

[ July 18, 2006, 13:24: Message edited by: Bassil Warbone ]

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Ouch. I guess they must be really bad then. Right now though, I'm deeply in love with R. A. Salvatore. Anyone have any recommendations about what to read after that? I would like to stay in the Forgotten Reals world...

6. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Richard Lee Byars is doing some good stuff, I enjoy his books.
    You can;t beat Elaine CUnningham, whose work first introduced me to fantasy (via a littl e book called The UNicorn Hunt), and I'm still huntinganything written about the Seven SIsters, having just read Stormlight, about Storm SIlverhand, funnily enough.

I don't bother looking at who wrote a book ('cept if it's by an author I enjoy, or by Athans, for the opposite reason) but instead which characters. I adore the 7 sisters, 'specially Storm, and Volo always makes me laugh. I can take or leave Drizzt, and most others though.

Ed Greenwood is good, if you ignore Elminster in Hell.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I find the FR setting awesome with the exception of some really crappy books.

Try Richard Baker as well in addition to all those suggested here.

heh, no wonder. this was easily the worst book in that series. try Shattered Mask, awesome. lord of stormweather was pretty good as well.

novelizations of games usually suck. the only exception that i've ever seen of this is "The Dig" by Alan Dean Foster.

8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The usual problem with RPG novels is that they are written by the game designers. While is is necessary for them to have at least minor qualities as authors, most of them suck at novels.

The worst example in my eyes are the novelizations of the german RPG Das Schwarze Auge. I did not find a single book that was well written.

D&D comes close second, with Hickman, Weiss, Cunningham, Keith Baker and Richard Baker as exceptions. I was surprised, however, that Ed Greenwood is the worst of the lot.

Surprisingly, most of the early Shadowrun novels are high quality stuff.

By the way: Has anyone heard what became of Nyx Smith?

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I second Elaine Cunningham as an exception. I read her Councillors and kings triology, and it was very well written. Besides a very likable setting (FR - halruaa) quality of writing is on a very fair level.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

yeah, that trilogy was pretty awesome. better than her liriel baenre stuff imo.

11. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

*Starts skinning everyone in here alive*

I've only read 3 books so far (on my 4th; Elminster: Making of a Mage) and I have loved them all (written by a different author each). My fav. so far is the current author; Ed Greenwood. I recently bought Icewind Dale 1 and bought the book the same day. I'm LOVING the similarities both have so far, and how they inspire me to do read and play the game at the same time for some reason :D

Just got off 14 hour shift and I'm too tired to bother with the spelling and commas and such.

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I object to the title of this title of Forum. I have about 20 of the Forgotten Realms books and none of them are bad.

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Well, in that case, you are beyond any help. ;)

Or you just read the good ones.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I've got loads of the FR novels. Most of them are quite good imo. However, the series I'm stuck with now is kinda crappy, the Watercourse Trilogy by Philip Athans. Very un-realms like.

Also, many of the stand-alone books in the new lines (Priests, Wizards, Fighters, etc.) suck. Lady of Poison by Bruce Cordell sucked major ass. So did Master of Chains by Jess Lebow. So no more books from those 2 lines for me. However, Blackstaff by Steven Schend was pretty good, not to mention pretty significant if you read FR books regularly.

15. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I think the only problem with Wizards of the Coast books are finding a compleat set of them. I'm probably in the wrong country to be a fan of them. :cry:

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The problem I have with FR and generally D&D books is that they are artisanship more than art, if you know what I mean. They may be nice to read, interesting, have a spark here and there, but you still feel like you're reading something you buy at the airport. Sometimes they are too schematic, sometimes they are too politically correct, sometimes they are just shallow. And they tend to be overrated and overadvertised. Perhaps the big hype contributes negatively to the reception of the books, leaving the reader with a certain degree of disappointment with the discrepancies between his expectations and what he actually gets to read.

17. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

I agree, chev. I read The Last Mythal Trilogy by Rich Baker at the moment and I'm a bit disappointed. The story is nice and all, but he is not able to fill it with life. The characters are just bland, and while I want to know how the story ends (despite spoilers), I don't care for any of the main characters.

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Game-related fiction in general, really. Actually, make that shared universe fiction. Star Wars, Star Trek, Battletech, Shadowrun, The assorted Warhammer novels, and so on...these all feature quality that varies wildly, but seldom exceeds decent.

19. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I've read some books of Elaine Cunningham (Liriel Baenre stuff) and R. A. Salvatore (first ten books of Drizzt's adventures). What make me mad is seeing a page about Drizzt's previous adventures in the later books of series. I don't know whether this only occurs in Turkish translation or English version has the same problem. After reading first two trilogies when I saw in Legacy more than one page of Drizzt's previous adventures i have gone mad. :mad:

I think it is done for people who didn't read Dark elf and IWD trilogies. But who on earth would start reading about Drizzt with Legacy instead of Dark Elf trilogy?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.