1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why the bad but not the good class features?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Eyebreaker7, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't understand that. It's always bugged me. Why do you get all the penalties from a class when you dual class but you get none of the good things? I'm changing a Kensai to a mage but for some reason I forgot how to use my dagger as good as I did with my Kensai class? Seriously someone please explain this to me. I'm not trying to cry or get upset. I just would like to know :)

Or what about a barbarian to some other class? He looses his resistance to physical attacks.
    Things like that just confuse me :p

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The Kensai abilities (including proficiencies) will be unlocked once your Kensai class becomes active again. So if you dualed at Kensai lvl 9, your Kensai abilities will be unlocked once you reach mage lvl 10.

Why this is so? I believe the reasons given in the rulebook state something like focussing on your new class requiring all your attention so you have no attention for the other stuff anymore.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I know that already :)

That's just a cheap cop-out for giving the answer "We just want it that way for balance. But really we can't explain it so live with it." or something like that :)

I just don't see me not knowing how to use my dagger from class to class :)
    And I don't see the barbarian resistance going away for a few levels either.

Don't take this as a flame.
    Just saying :)

---------- Added 0 hours, 47 minutes and 59 seconds later... ----------

It also doesn't make sense that you don't get your previous class abilities until you hit a level over your first class and then BAM! all of a sudden your brain cracks open and you remember everything. AND you get to use all of that knowledge despite your need to "concentrate in your new class" or whatever.
    Just saying :)

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree that it doesn't make much sense. But then again, it also doesn't make much sense that I could mutter a few words, wave my arms around, and have a ball of fire erupt from my hands either. :)

5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Lol! But that's why it's called "magic" right? We can do anything when all we have to do is say it's magic right? :p

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You're trying to make sense out of something that really doesn't make sense. This is a software implementation of a rules set that was the next generation after an original rules set that did not contemplate dual-classing at all, in any way. Of course it does not make sense, but the idea was to justify having someone start, in essence, a second career without being insanely overpowered compared to other characters.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The point is simply that the game is based on a set of rules, many of which have no basis in real life existence. One such example is the dual class rules; another is fireball (or magic in general). Another would be the whole notion of hit points, where you can take all sorts of damage without any ill effects until your HP’s actually hit zero. The purpose of the rules is to try to create an enjoyable but balanced gaming experience, and the fact that many of the rules are unrealistic is, particularly in RPG’s, kind of the point of gaming in the first place. :)

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    AD&D (aka first generation) had dual classing. The games are based on second generation. A barbarian cannot dual class (just as a monk, paladin, or sorcerer cannot).

From first generation, Gygax believed the shifting of classes was very complex. In fact, it took months or years of game time to learn enough of the basics to be 1st level in the new class. A fighter cannot just set down his sword and suddenly cast magic missile -- he must first learn the basics of magic. The reverse is also true and a mage cannot just pick up a sword and be effective.

A dual classed individual had to become proficient proficient in their new class before they could use their old class without penalty -- using skills from the old class killed progress in the new class and no experience was gained during an adventure where the PC ... strayed. This is simply because if a person continually reverts to what they are comfortable with they will never learn (which is true in our world as well). There was some historic precident for this with martial arts requiring masters from one art to exclusively rely on their new skills and master the new form before they were allowed to combine their skills into a new form.

The time aspect of dual classing was not implemented and neither was the penalty for straying from the new path. Neither would be practical in the game.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    T2 - AD&D was second generation. First generation was just D&D - nothing fancy. No dual classing. Everything you needed came in a box. It was fun.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    True ... the AD&D second generation (which is BG, BG2, and IWD were based on) was actually the third generation of the game. In D&D when you chose a demihuman it came as a set multiclass.

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I thought that in the original D&D a dwarf was always one class, an elf was always another class, etc.
    At least, that's what I gathered from people here on the forum, as I've no experience whatsoever with the 1st generation D&D.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.