1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Will Morrowind kill NWN graphically?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Turambar, May 6, 2002.

1. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

2. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

well it IS graphically better than NWN, no doubt about it, but then again, the BG games were never extremely pretty, and we still seem to play them... Morrowind is a first person game, that makes it possible to create much more detailed graphics than in a third person game such a NWN, where you also want to be able to get a good overview look of what's going on.

As for which game is better, my money is on morrowind so far, unless it turns out as buggy as Daggerfall, and from what I've heard so far, that's not the case. When will NWN be released anyway?

3. Turambar Gems: 13/31

The BG games was pretty good graphically as 2d games, but I wouldn't compare them to 3d games as I like 2d better. And until the day 3d games can make me feel like I am actually walking around in the world I will still like the 2d games better.

I didn't mean that I only like games because of the graphics, but in a 3d game it means alot to me. If a 3d game is done badly it is hopeless to play.

As for when NWN will be released, the only official statement still is "when it's done"

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

*peers up for a while, then continues playing MUDs without so much as ascii art*

5. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've always wanted to play a first person RPG. I think that I might look into Morrowind.

As for it beatting NWN graphically, it probley will. But it really doesnt matter. NWN has the ability to make your own game so I think that is whats going to put NWN over the top, unless ofcorse it all bombs and goes no where.

6. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

Two things you are all overlooking.

1) You can play Morrowind in 3rd person view as well as 1st person.

2)Morrowing also comes with an editor to make your own 'games'

The catch is that Morrowind is a single player only game, and NWN is not. I can create as many single player games with Morrowind as I wish, but to play with my friends, I need NWN.

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The creatures/characters look some better... on the other site, the environment of NWN looks better, buildings, the details (movements) and very imnportant, the lights/shadows look better in NWN.

I don't care about NWN not having a 1st person view.... In RPG's, that makes it all look like a Quake 3 game... and you have no good view of what happens around you.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited May 08, 2002).]

8. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

As I said, in Morrowind you can play in 3rd person as well.

First person is better for somethings tho, like one on one combat.

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I don't agree. First person doesn't make a combat, even not a one to one combat better in any way. And when you have a henchmen (happens often) and when you are in multiplayer. And I also think it doesn't have a good influence on the graphics too.... In Neverwinter Nights you have the possibility to zoom in, and when you need some more details in combat, you just zoom in while fighting, after the fight you zoom out again.... much more effective then a continue switch in view.

It would also make the requirements MUCH higher. And the release date a year later.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited May 08, 2002).]

10. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think he meant that first person was better for somethings *in Morrowind*. I play using the 3rd person view normally, but toggle over to 1st for some things because its more convenient.

Morrowind is a very good game, but if NWN is fun to *play* it will be the better game, graphics or no. Bioware does a better job on NPCs than Bethesda does and the multiplayer/DM capability of NWN is ultimately going to make the Aurora Toolset more valuable than the Morrowind editor.

11. Turambar Gems: 13/31

One thing I haven't seen in NWN is hills, in Morrowind you can make them really high and then put a castle on top of it or whatever.

That's a real drawback if you can't do that in NWN. Please correct me if I'm wrong....

12. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] You can create eleavation changes in NWN but I don't think they will be a extreme as what you see in Morrowind. I think Morrowind will be a better game visually but NWN will be superior in many other ways. Morrowind is a sinple play engine with little to no ability to create an online world. In contrast that is what NWN is all about. They both have their strengths in different places.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.