1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows explorer going sloooow...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Colthrun, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] OK, this is the story. I noticed that Windows Explorer (do not confuse with IE) started going painfully slow when browsing my folders for a while. At its worst, it would take up to 8 seconds to open any folder, regardless of the location and content, and processor usage would go up the roof.

My system is a 750Mhz laptop with 128MB RAM and Win98SE installed. I decided that it would be a good moment to format the HD (again), so I did that, but the problem is still there.

I have removed and reinstalled my newest applications and drivers individually, trying to isolate the culprit, but no joy. I have defragmented the HD and there are no changes.

Applications and games run nicely. Files found in the folders can be run or edited quickly once the folder opens up. If I use the OPEN FILE, BROWSE, or similar option from any application (i.e. Word) I can browse deep into my sub-sub-sub[...]sub-sub-folders with no trouble from the dialog box.

But going from folder to folder in either My PC or Windows Explorer feels like driving through town at peak time...

Any ideas?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are a few possible reasons for that, but it's just not worth getting into them. Go to http://www.ghisler.com/ and download Total Commander and never look back. I can't live without it in any Windows. Couldn't live without Norton Commander in DOS either.

3. Colthrun

Thanks for the advise, Tal. I've just download TC and will try it at home later. :thumb:

I know what you mean. I still use Norton Commander myself, and this is what saved my laptop from being trashed when I needed to look for or delete a file quickly.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    TC does everything NC did and much more besides. It's an essential tool for any advanced user.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    First thing to do if things are slow is to go into Device Manager and make SURE UDMA is checked for you hard drive. Win98SE doesn't do it automatically IIRC, and this means your HD is running at the speed as a 10-year-old drive...

6. Colthrun

I installed Total Commander yesterday. Browsing speed with TC is OK so far. Thanks again, Tal.

I'll give your suggestion a go, Ziad, although browsing folders from programs other than Windows explorer is fast. Also, running, viewing, copying, and deleting large files is done quickly too, even in Explorer.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Then UDMA is not the problem. No idea what it is, but if Norton solves it then forget about it :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.