1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows NT

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Mathetais, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I'm at the new company now, and my Toshiba Tecra 8100 runs Windows NT.

I have IWD2 installed, but Direct X is not compatible. Any suggestions on how I can get this game to run!

I can't take any more waiting.

Thanks in advance! And remember, use small words when giving me instructions, I'm very smart in many areas of life, computer programming not being one of them! ;)

:good:

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Sorry Mat, there is no NT update on DirectX.
    With SP3 you instantly get DirectX 5.0 and there is no way to add later DirectX version.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

OMG!

Mat, you're still running NT 4.0?
    And you play gamez on that thing?

Wow.

That is impressive.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

EJ ... so far, no games, that's my problem :(
    This is my "new" computer too ... its going take the new company a long while to update to WIN 2000, so I might never get to play at work again!!!!

Chat doesn't work on the new firewall either.

What am I going to do here ... work???

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually, IWD1, PST, BG1 & 2, Fallout 1 & 2, and bunch of older but amazing RPGs work on NT4.0.

Yes, I've played all of those on NT4.0 (SP 6.0a)and had no problems with 'em!

These also nice RPGs won't work on NT 4.0: Septerra Core, Anachronox, Soulbringer, Summoner.
    That's why I'm not using NT4.0 any more. I downgraded OS to Win98. Lokken's restarting problems with Win2K were enough for me not to upgrade NT.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Hmmm...it just worked for me. I don't have time to play, but I got into the party creator scenes at least ... and no data-dump.

We could be in luck!

I was terrified. The new company is sending me to Flower-Mound, Texas (yes, I think thats a real city) for a week of training, and I was wondering what I was going to do with no games on this computer!

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It seems to me the vast majority of problems exist due to driver conflicts, or incompatibilies.

Nt5.1 (windows XP) completely rocks out for gaming for me. Now, there's a *few* gamez that just won't work. Tomb Raider 4 will only play at 640x480. But Tomb Raider 2/3/5 can be XP-patched to run flawlessly. FF7 just got patched, and as far as I could tell when I was scanning it (haven't used it yet) it was just a problem with a null pointer. Jagged Alliance 2 suffers from a MASSIVE frame rate/stability increase under Nt, but you have to manually extract the executable from the .icd, which can only be done under 98/Me (msdos). Icewind Dale gets a small boost, but if you have a fast enough machine, you'll never notice it.

Hell, Sam and Max runs under XP 100%, *if* you can find/make a sample snd config file and put it in the main directory. The sound config program crashes. You also have to use VDM sound. Fate of Atlantis, and DoTT, Full throttle; all work 100%. Tie fighter works, but Xwing crashes at the combat load screen.

Drivers are the major issue under windows. Everyone writes their own, and no one really ever gets the source to the os, which means you have to pay cash/sumbit your drivers to msft in order to have the bugs ironed out. Figuring out the order to load drivers (so the better/stable ones take precidence over the poorer ones) is 95% of the battle with Windows 95/98/Me/2k/XP.

At least, on all the machines that I have ever run, that's the case.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.