1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Alavin, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

[​IMG] I have a problem installing the new XP Service Pack. When I turned on this morning, I found that Automatic Update had found it to download, but when I clicked the Download button, it closed, and that was the last I heard of it. It didn't download.

I tried to run the Windows Update to install it without the Automatic Update, but it hasn't been released for that apparently. I tried tinkering with the AU settings, making it check at a specified time, but it didn't. I tried resetting the computer (a standard tactic) but that didn't work either.

There are many people here far more proficient with computers than I am. Can anyone offer a solution?

[ August 22, 2004, 16:37: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you are running XP Pro, SP 2 won't actually be available untile Aug 25. XP HOme should be available now).

Also, there are numerous bug reports with SP 2, as well as reports of game conflicts

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can concur that I have heard similar stories to Splunge and it was, in fact, even a story in today's "New Zealand Herald" newspaper.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

There are about 800 bug-fixes in it and, ironically, most of the apps/games it makes incompatible are made by Microsoft itself. :shake:

That's what they tell in MBNet.fi, linking to a official list of fixes and so on.

5. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I ran and installed the stand alone for SP2 and had no problems at all. After doing the installation the Security Console told me I had 2 fire walls running and I should disable one. So I turned off the windows fire wall completely (who wouldn't?). I've had no problems with any of my games so far.

I also found a patch for the TCP/IP with SP2. Apparently SP2 only allows you to run 10 simultaneous streams at a time, the patch fixed it. That may cause some of the internet gaming problems and I've seen it cause problems with any program that uses multi streaming and multiple ports.

As far as your problem Alavin, I know it sounds silly but when was the last time you did a complete system virus scan? Maybe run a disc check and a defrag just to be on the safe side.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Istolil

It allows you to create 10 connections (max) per second, so if you wanted 25, it would stutter a bit for the first 2 seconds (10+10+5).

7. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

It is XP Home that I use. AU still not working. :(

I tried a virus scan, and other than some adware that should have been found by Spybot, no viruses found.

Useless updater.

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Here is a very simple way to get the XP Service Pack 2.

Just become a SPS Account Holder...

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    @Jaguar: Why? Does Tal send out copys of SP2 to all the SPS members? :rolling:

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The service pack is just one of the dozens of downloads people can download straight from the SP server if they have an SPS account.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.