1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows XP SP3 is Here... (Updated with benchmarks!)

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, Microsoft finally finished XP's 3rd and final service pack. True to their style, this release is already clouded with controversy. If you want to read all about it, there's plenty of news posted on Google...but basically, people who pay good money to have updates first were told they would have to wait to get it, and people that only use Windows Automatic Updates will have to wait till summer too.

Full article here.

[Update]
    Well, after the typical M$ delay, SP3 has finally been released. On Sunday I reverted my RAID array from a RAID 5 to a RAID 0. After I had finished installing Windows (with SP2) and the core drivers for my system, I ran 3 different benchmarks. Once I had the scores, I installed SP3 and then ran the benchmarks again. Here are the results:

--Pre SP3--

3DMark05:
    3DMark Score: 18943
    CPU Score: 12149

Cinebench:
    OpenGL Standard Test: 6520
    Single CPU Render Test: 3292
    Multiple CPU Render Test: 3165

HD Tach:
    Random Access: 13.25ms
    Average Read Speed: 81.2MB/s
    Burst Speed: 227.8MB/s

--Post SP3--

3DMark Score:
    3DMark Score 19001
    CPU Score 12262

Cinebench:
    OpenGL Standard Test: 6480
    Single CPU Render Test: 3287
    Multiple CPU Render Test: 3209

HD Tach:
    Random Access: 13.0ms
    Average Read Speed: 81.35MB/s
    Burst Speed: 231.5MB/s

--Test System--
    Both tests were preformed using the same system. The only thing that changed with the installation of XP SP3.
    CPU - Intel C2D E8400 @3.0GHz
    Mobo - Asus Maximus Extreme
    RAM - 2GB of Corsair DDR3 1333
    GPU - ATI Radeon HD 3870 512MB
    HDD - 2 320GB in a RAID 0 array

--Results--
    The 3DMark05 score rose by 58 points, with the 3DMark50 CPU score rising 113 points. The OpenGL Standard Test in Cinebench saw a drop of 40 points, with the Single CPU Render Test loosing 5 points. The Multiple CPU Render Test however rose 44 points. The Random Access, Average Read, and Burst Speeds on HD Tach saw only minimal increases of 0.25ms, 0.15MB/s, and 3.7MB/s respectivly.

--Conclusion--

While SP3 doesn't give much of a speed increase for everyday applications, it does give some extra speed in 3D applications. People with single core CPUs have the potential of seeing a slight slow down in certain OpenGL 3D applications as Cinebench points out...With all the included Windows patches and security updates, along with a slight speed boost, SP3 looks to be a winner. :thumb: :rolling:

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'm gonna give it a week or two before I install SP3, just in case it's a pile of buggy crap.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    When I saw the thread I immediately thought "oh good I'll get it straight away!" Then after reading this whole business about having to wait until summer for it to be available on Windows Update makes me suspect there are some serious problems in it. I think I'll wait for some more daring souls to try it and report on what it does to their systems before I take the plunge.

4. Kitrax

Media:
    Well, as I said earlier, I was going to download and install SP3 as soon as M$ made it available on their website. So Tuesday night I was suprised when I couldn't find it.

Today I found this article: XP SP3 Delayed Again. It's really annoying when they wait until the release date to pull the cord... :bang: :rolling:

5. Kitrax

Media:
    Well...XP SP3 is here. Read my first post for the benchmarks. :D :rolling:

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'll still wait until after I have High speed and have a chance to hear if people like it or hate it before going through the download proceedure.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So what's the final verdict on this? I haven't installed it yet. Is it worthwhile? Any problems encountered? Should I disable my anti-virus before installing? Any other installation tips?

For what it's worth, my computer is a somewhat older AMD Athlon 3400+ with 1.5 GB of memory and lots of free hard drive space.

8. Kitrax

Media:
    I've been running it since it was released with no problems. There is a speed increase, which is always nice! :D I've had no problems, nor have I heard of anyone having problems.

Final verdict:

It's good stuff, so go install it. :D :rolling:

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Depending on what Anti-Virus software you use, it might be wise to shut it down completely or to disable any self-defense options.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks, guys. :)

So SP3 looks to be a no-brainer. I'll shut down Norton just to be safe.

Edit: Installation done, without problems.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

SP3 - It is faster

Using a single core CPU I did not notice that the system is running faster; tonight I will be disabling some of the processes on the computer in hopes of further system performance increases.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.