1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WinXP SP2

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Sydax, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I've been using Home edition SP1 almost forever, I refused to intall things from the update website, I just went there to see if it were new drivers for my hardware but that's all.
    Yesterday I bought a Geforce 7600GS, I had to uninstall every ATI drivers I had but after lot of install-uninstall drivers and things I couldn't get my system to run stable, too much install/uninstall things I guess. I had some restore points but didn't work because all of them were with the drivers for the ATI video card, and on top of all, I had some IEXPLORE.exe stuff which tried to connect to internet everytime I restarted and watching its properties, I found that after every restart, the file was in a different folder; whenever I wanted to install the drivers for the Geforce, the part where windows search for the driver was neverending, only ended after a CTRL+ALT+DEL and closing that IEXPLORE.exe procces. So I formated and reinstalled XP.
    As I have all my games and other stuff in another disk, I just lose XP, but some games require to reinstall them after a new XP install, so here comes the SP2 question.
    I read in a magazine, that Microsoft will end support for XP SP1 (and older versions) so I guess I have to move on.
    So what order I should take? I have basics now, Firefox, Zone Alarm and the internet thingy.
    I went to Windows Update and the first thing you have to install after a fresh start is some updates and one of them is the genuine software thing. I already installed the first step.
    Now, what should I do? Install SP2 or the games first?
    There are a lot of updates for SP1 (about 60 'security' upgrades). Should I need to install them first or should I go right for SP2?
    Thanks!

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I would definitely install SP2 first, XP just runs some much better with it. I skipped many of the security updates and just put SP2 on. I'm sure others that are smarter than I am will add their :2c: so I would probably give them a little time to advise you more sagely, as I am hardly an expert.

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

SP2 patches up quite a bit of security holes, but constantly monitoring the status of your antivirus and firewall is a bit annoying - especially when it pops up while I'm playing, say, MM7, and BOOM! I switch back to the desktop with this damn message.

If you DO install SP2, make sure to deactivate the Windows Firewall if you're using another firewall, like Zone Alarm, for example. Other than that, yes, I'd say go for SP2 - and install it first.

4. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Darng Windows... it's giving me headaches.
    After a clean install, I installed the needed files so I can install SP2, but after the download, it starts to install and gives me the blue screen with a message about controllers and crap, so reset is the only option. I uninstalled every drive for the video and even I didn't have problems with it, the sound too; but I still have the same problem, after the backup SP2 does (restoration point) and when starts to install, I get the blue screen.
    I ran an antivirus (PC Cillin) and after that AdAware and then Search&Destroy but I found nothing (in safe mode and normal mode).
    Now I have a blue star just next to the clock that reminds me every 2 minutes that I won't have any more support for SP1 after October 10.
    Should the new 7600GS be in conflict with something? I don't seem to find anything that tells me that.

5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Install SP2 first and then the updates. The easiest thing to do would have been to slipstream SP2 onto your WinXP installation disc. Meaning that you would end up with a WinXP installation CD which already has SP2. The process is explained on many websites, here is one.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    IEXPLORE.exe process = Internet Explorer...

7. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Yeah, I thought that too, Tal, but it wasn't. It wasn't in its directory and everytime it created itself in a different folder (sometimes in Media, sometimes in Prefetch, etc.)
    I'm going for the third format... this time I'll go straight to SP2, without anything (drivers) installed but the needed to connect to internet.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Plug-out Internet, format, SP2, drivers, firewall, other stuff, plug-in. In that order.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sydax, Internet Explorer is heavily integrated into Windows, so it's quite possible for the process to pop up in unexpected places. Of course, there's always the possibility of the process being something else (and malicious), but usually it isn't.

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Microsoft ending support for SP1 doesn't mean you have to move on. If you're not using their website to get updates anyway, then nothing will change for you after they end support.

SP2 fixes many security holes, introduces quite a few others, fixes bugs and introduces more, and increases the RAM requirement of XP.

IE is integrated into the Windows shell, and has hooks into the kernel, so it's not surprising to see the process pop up in unexpected places.

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Next question: is XP Professional better?
    You see, I went to technical support (I have 2 years warranty) and they told me they could give me a copy of it if I wanted (they don't give you anything anymore, they just put a small partition with everything needed just to get the system up and running) just because I asked for a Windows copy because I erased the partition. I have Home edition (from the laptop, that I use for this one too, just using my serial) and now this Professional edition with SP2 integrated.
    So which one is best?

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yes! Among other things, it includes IIS Web server software...
    M$ has this to say about it:
    And since Mircosoft loves to be so vague...here's a more in-depth look at XP Pro:
    And there you have it. I’m sure there are other minute differences between the two, but the major difference are listed. Personally, I only use XP Pro...and for good reason! :thumb: :rolling:

13. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Wow! That's a lot of stuff... that I don't use and/or I'm not aware of its workings... ;)
    Yes, I've noticed some improvement, most of all on the start up.
    Another thing; my internet provider gave me a little program with the drivers for the little thingy that connects with the router and when using Home edition, used this little program to connect to internet. Now, that program doesn't work, instead, Win just uses its own program. It uses the same connection and net and password, so I guess is safe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.