1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wireless music?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Harbourboy, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] Is it possible to connect my computer to my stereo wirelessly to play music? I currently do it via a cable, but I would like to move to a fully wireless house eventually and the stereo cable is up there as one of the more inconvenient ones at the moment, especially as it reduces the portability of the laptop.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah, that looks like the ticket! But it says it is no longer available for purchase!

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm....IIRC, some of the major WiFi manufacturers (D-Link, Net Gear, Etc...) sell WiFi boxes that let you stream music, movies, and pictures to your TV/high end stereo equipment. After a quick search of D-Link's AU/NZ site, I came up with this nice looking unit. Since I'm such a nice guy, I'm even going to give you a link that will direct you to some of AU’s and NZ places where you can but the D-Link Wireless Media Streamer... Where to buy D-Link down under.

See how nice I am... :D :rolling:

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No longer available eh? Ah well, must've been junk. Thought it would suit you since it was pretty cheap and was only audio; the wireless media devices are usually much more expensive (such as what Kitrax linked above), but they do more than just audio.

6. Harbourboy

What a nice guy Kitrax is. Thanks for the help.

But NZ$400 is indeed a little steep, just to avoid a few cables for now. I have a few other things higher in the queue than this (like a new NWN2 capable PC, and a new barbecue - not necessarily in that order)

7. Kitrax

Media:
    Harbs, like BTA said, there are several types of equipment that can/will do what you want. The one I linked you to was just the first one I found on D-Link's website.

With a little searching, I'm sure you can find a unit that fits your budget. :rolling:

8. Harbourboy

FYI - just to let you know that I have achieved this, but in a slightly different way.

I have set up a wireless network in my house. Whoop-de-doo, you might say, but I was very proud of actually being able to get that work. So now the laptop is connected to the network wirelessly, but connected to the stereo via a cable when required.

The normal wireless router and adaptor was miles cheaper than the dedicated music streaming product we were initially talking about, plus it has all the normal advantages of a wireless network. Hope I have set up the security properly, though. When I first searched for a wireless network, I detected 7 other networks in range, which must belong to my neighbours. Only 2 of those appeared to be secured.

9. Kitrax

Media:
    Muhahaha! If I were you, I'd be having some fun. :evil: My networking teacher is teaching us about packet sniffers and other fun things you can do with unsecure WiFi. :D :rolling:

10. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Things to do with unsecure wifi:

find out what kind of wireless router it is. if you dont know, guess.

Look online for a list of default admin usernames and passwords for the specified router. most of them are very similar.

go to 192.168.1.1 (I think) which should be the router.

In its security systems, block all traffic on select ports, such as 80 (http). in fact, block 1-200.

Then change the admin password to something containing letters, lower case characters and upper characters and being at least 9 characters long. change any backup passwords to be the same.

log out of the router and enjoy the chaos.

will probably take the person who owns it and their providers technical support about 2 months to fix the problem.

get yourself a video card capable of running it on max detail at 100 fps, and you can solve two problems at once.

"hey everyone get your meat, HB has started playing NWN2 again."

11. Kitrax

Media:
    Most WiFi routers have a reset button. Also, reinstalling the software would erase any configuration settings on the router anyway. Stealing bandwidth is far more practical, and they usually never know what's going on. What you suggested is just annoying, mean, and quite obvious that someone else is messing around. :rolling:

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, what you should do if you find an unsecure WiFi network is to put a txt file on the desktop of the person foolish enough to leave it unsecure and in the file warn them about it.

Anything malicious that you do is quite pointless since they probably won't know exactly what happened anyway, and really, you don't prove anything but that you're a lamer by doing it. Because even a bigger idiot than the one who left the network open can do damage to it, so it's really not something anyone over 12 should feel proud about.

13. Kitrax

Media:
    Anyway...getting back on the subject of wireless music...

When it comes to WiFi enabled portable Mp3 players, has anyone here had any experience with the current generation of players? I know the M$ Zune made a pathetic attempt at a WiFi player, but what about any of the other WiFi players? I've been waaaay too busy with school/work this past quarter to keep up to date with the current technologies. Besides stupid DRM schemes, do any of the new players support audio/video streaming to devices other than other players?

What the big companies (namely Creative, Samsung, or Archos) need is a player, paired with a WiFi transceiver that can be plugged in to a high end home stereo, aftermarket car stereo, and computer system. That way you can wirelessly listen to your Mp3 player at home, in the car, or anywhere else without having to resort to the less then perfect stereo out jack. I know most newer high end home stereo equipment, along with a few of the aftermarket car stereos now come with a USB port…how hard would it be for Mp3 manufactures to create a self powered WiFi transceiver for those ports? :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.