1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

wizard/sorcerer

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by dark druid, May 17, 2003.

1. dark druid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2. Mediv Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Personaly, I consider them equal. It really depends on your personal gaming style. I happen to like Sorcerers, as they can use their spells more often. Wizards are great, but at the begining they have a very limited ammount of spell slots..

3. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

i believe that sorcerers are better because you dont have to find the spell on a scroll before you can use it, sorcerers are more versitile, thus you dont have to rest every now and then because you need new spells.

4. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

According to D&D rules there is a huge advantage for wizards: they can prepare spells without resting.

If they have unused slot (e.g. this slot was not used after last resting) then they can prepare a spell in this slot - they must wait 15 minutes to do so. This improves wizards versatility. Leave them some spare slots and then prepare spells on demand.

But this is not implemented in most of cRPGs.

But there are other useful things with these two classes. (Not only spells gathering and preparing). Sorcerer (or sorceress) is also a good diplomat, and wizard can be used as a thief (with some mc to rogue if possible) - imagine free slots and Knock on demand ... Of course sorceress / bard is not an usual, but nice combo (I know pure spell caster is the best, but ... I like sometimes not only power characters in my party)

I personally use both of them.

My basic party (not only for IWDII, and this is a generalization - I like experiments :p ):

• rogue (/wizard) - halfling
    • cleric (/fighter | paladin) - human or aasimar
    • sorceress (/bard) - (half)elf female
    • wizard (/rogue | ranger) - human or drow male(imagine a blind ranger ;) )
    • fighter (/???) - dwarf)
    • barbarian (/cleric) - halforc
    As for solo, I use
    rogue (/wizard) - halfling or tiefling
    or
    sorceress - human or (half)elf

5. Judi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am having trouble with my half-elf wizard. Her intell is 19 but so far the only spells shwoing are Chromatic Orb, Icelance and Magic Missle. I have slots avaiable to memorize spells but no other spells are showing I can memorize. When she goes up a level I do not get a chance to pick spells. Is this a problem of the game or am I doing something wrong?

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If I remember correctly, the wizard only gets to pick a couple of level 1 spells at character creation. Everything after that must be learned from a scroll.

This is in contrast to the Sorcerer who chooses all of his/her spells each time he/she levels... and never learns a spell from a scroll.

7. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Wizards must learn all their spells except for those they pick when first starting from scrolls. Make sure to read the manual before playing an RPG as there are tons of rules about how characters must be played.

8. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

To Judi,
    Sorcerers chooses their spells every level they get but a wizard just gets slots to chose spells that the have copied into their books. When they gain a level, go to the magic or spellcasting tab and it will say how many more spells they can memorize, then click the spell you want. Does this help?

I vote sorcerers.

9. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31

do sorcerers keep thier spells in a book?

or do they just remember them and fire them of when they need to?

10. rastilin Gems: 8/31

Remember & fire, that's the point.

Sorcerers rock, they get more spells and this always helps, especially at the earlier levels.

I think there was a topic similar to this earlier on, like I said before, sorcerers don't have to find spells like wizards and this doese'nt restrict them because a scroll is rare. In addition you will only ever need a very small amount of spells to fight properly and everything after that just fills holes in your attack. You will need

one powerful offensive (fireball)
    one protection (an elemental resistance) (90% of offensive magic does elemental damage)
    spell protection (ghost form or what have you)
    breach (spell breach)

I realize that a character like this would'nt live that long but these are the base classes of spells, as long as you have a decent one in each class you've got a fighting chance.

11. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] In IWDII are there any scrolls that are not listed in the instructions manual? I remember i IWDI there was a spell in lower dorn's deep call Malavon's Rage, and that wasn't in the spellbook. If there are any spells like that in IWDII then a sorcerer would not be able to learn them correct?

12. rastilin Gems: 8/31

Never heard of something like that happening before. In theory all the spells in the game are also accesible by the sorcerer or at least in the manual. Logically if the scroll was unknown in the realms before then the sorcerer would'nt be able to cast it.

13. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

The Drow (it is [drau] ain't it) Sorcerer (or Wizard) is something very, very bad... With his great Intelligence and Charisma he can be suitable (maybe the best option) at both caster-classes...

Personally I play with Sorcerer. It has more spells - casting Fireballm or Prismatic Spray more often is something priseless - and when you need he can hurl the enemies with spells (Evocation and Necromancy - mmmm, my favourite)... Which is no doubt very, very useful thing...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.