1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizardry 6 (and 7 and 8 actually)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by avoidconfusion, Jan 1, 2014.

1. avoidconfusion Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi all,

First of all apologies for a new thread on this but the only one I could find on this forum was quite old and I did not want to necro it.

As many of you will probably know Wizardry 6,7 and 8 are (or were recently?) on sale on Steam.

I remember buying Wizardry 7 when it came out and playing it excessively without having too much of a clue of what I am doing which eventually meant that in the later stages of the game I simply could not continue as I screwed up a lot. :)

I also played Wizardry 8 a little bit as well.

I never played Wizardry 6 but when I saw it on Steam I bought all 3 again and my intention is now to start with Wizardry 6 and take the party over to 7 and eventually 8.

My "problem" is that not too much has changed since I first played Wizardry 7 in terms of my knowledge of the game series. I spent the the last 3 days reading various different FAQs/Guides but I am still stuck at the very basic but important hurdle of creating a party that won't make me quit the game half way through or later because the party didn't work out or because I made class switches that sounded cool but were in fact rather stupid and done at the wrong times.

So my question/request really is to get some advice from some of the veterans on here.

I intend to have the following "rough" party line-up:

2 Valkyries
    1 Samurai
    1 Bard
    1 Priest
    1 Mage

First problem I am not entirely sure on races: I had Dwarf/Rawulf in mind for the Valkyries. Felpurr for the Samurai, Fairy for the Bard (only to then discover that the fairy cannot equip the lute? or am I being silly?), Rawulf for the Priest and Elf or Mook for the Mage.

Note: those are just initial "preferences"/ ideas, I am more than happy for you to critique here and tell me I got the races all wrong.

On to the next topic and this is probably my biggest worry: Bonus point distribution

For my first chars all I did was max out STR and put the rest in VIT , no matter what the class actually is (so even for a Mage)... now I am pretty sure this is wrong.

I also understand that I should use the bonus points to work towards the class I want the character to switch to?

On the topic of switching which is probably of equal importance as the bonus distribution for me:

What kind of switches make sense for the party above and when?

I was thinking about switching the Mage to a Priest at lvl 10 maybe and the Priest to a Mage.
    The Bard to a Ninja and the Valkyries to Samurais for the critical strike chance skill and then back again immediately?
    Not sure what to do with the Samurai?

Do these switches even make sense? Or would I make things harder for myself?

With regards to the "When?" I read conflicting information here, some people say I should switch before LVL 2 even, others say LVL 5 is a good time for example.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback, it is much appreciated!

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In my experience, it's best to be patient about rolling enough points to get your elite classes early and play as them from the word go.

Also, in Wiz 6, it makes sense to put your surplus points into Strength during character creation. It's your one and only chance to increase your characters' carrying capacity, because carrying capacity will never go up during the game, even when you increase Strength during level ups.

3. avoidconfusion Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Me again. :)

I am now in the Mines and slowly but surely approaching the time where it makes sense to switch class (Most my chars are lvl 7 now)...

The party I ended up with is:

Dwarf Valkyrie
    Felpurr Samurai
    Fairy Ninja
    Felpurr Bard
    Rawulf Priest
    Elf Mage

Now... I think I will switch the Priest to a Mage and the Mage to a Priest at lvl 10... or maybe both to a Bishop?
    I am more concerned about the Bard... since I already have a Ninja, which class makes sense? Monk? Ranger (planning ahead for W7 where Rangers are more useful) ?

Cheers guys!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.