1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizardry (PoR thread fork)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Blades of Vanatar, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What?! I loved the Wizardry series! May the Dark Savant haunt their dreams!:p

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I only played Wizardry #8, and I thought it was an excellent game. I tried one of the earlier Wizardry games, (Wizardry Gold, I think), but the sound drivers kept crashing my system.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm glad you posted this. Wizardry 8 is one of my all time favorites, and I've always considered getting Wizardry Gold, but was concerned if it would work in a modern system.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I think he (or the people he was referring to) meant the really old ones (1-5). While 4 will always hold a special place in my heart as possibly the only RPG I ever completely gave up on due to sheer difficulty alone, I have to admit that these games are not exactly my idea of fun :p though looking back at what Wizardry 1 accomplished way, way back when it was released, I can't help being impressed. The later Wizardry trilogy (6-8) are great games and they've aged rather well!

You might want to see if you can get a copy of Wiz 7 then. Gold was basically a Windows port of 7 (with additional bugs), and Wiz 7 will run flawlessly in DOSBox.

Mmm... might I suggest one of the mods create a Wizardry thread in Playground and move the relevant posts there? We seem to have gone a little off-topic here (I know, I'm not helping)

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I played Gold on a windows 95 system. It ran great. I also loaded it on my newer system with Windows XP. Not so great. 1-4 were excellent games. Part 4 was tough, it's been a loooonnnggg time since I have played that gem. Part 5 is when it all started to change, adding in dialogue options. Nice stuff! Part 8 is the grand finally of hte series, what a game! Tons of fun and very replayable.

PoR on the other hand, well... lets just say it was "trying" at best. I was very excited when it came out. It was the biggest dissappointment of any game I was anticipating to play in my life. Oh well.....

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Darn, I've only played the ones available for the Apple II computers back in the day. Sounds like I missed out. Considering that Wizardry I was one of if not the first game of its kind for computers, I can't really bash it, but people who tried it in the early 1990s did make some comments to that effect. They were comparing it to the Gold Box games which were obviously inspired by Wizardry.

I've never played anything higher than 5. The ironic thing is that I played Bards Tale (IIGS version) and Curse of the Azure Bonds before playing Wizardry. Heck, it was somebody giving me Curse for Christmas that got me hooked on RPGs. My mother was upset at my Great Aunt for a decade afterwards for starting my addiction. Especially with the amount of money I "wasted" on "stupid games" as a child.

BTW, I'd like to amend my earlier post. I should have said Ultima I instead of Bard's Tale. At least with Bard's Tale the different dungeons looked slightly different. Even if there seemed to be little difference between the wine cellar and the sewers. Ultima I on the other hand had a bunch of seemingly random dungeons, only a fraction of which had any real significance on the game.

BTW, I second the motion to moving this to The Playground. It did kinda wander off-topic.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.