1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Woman blinded by husband during visit to Bangladesh

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Quite nasty. Shooting her would've been less bestial.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Gouged her eyes out with his hands? ****!

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm going to try to channel "Karnack the Magnificent" and fill in the holes to this story without clicking on the link. I'm going to guess that the husband's religion is Islam. That one is easy. After that I see this as one of two scenarios. Scenario one is that he married a western woman and they had a child and while the family was on vacation in Bangladesh he decided that they should stay there, while she wanted to return to the United States with the child and he decided that that wasn't acceptable. The second scenario is that the victim is also a follower of Islam, and while they were in Bangladesh it was pointed out to the husband that she was becoming corrupted by the west and this was to keep her in line.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Pretty much correct Snook - except she's Canadian, not an American.

I seriously doubt anyone from outside the US (or under 30 and within the US) understands that reference.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  6. Barmy Army

Media:
    I bet these people weren't born in Canada. It's rare you see any violence from Canada. What a nation of ninnies! They're nearly as bad as Sweden.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:

I like to give us old folks something to smile about and if the youngins care enough they can Google.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He bit off part of her nose too? :nuts:

I'm with Mr. Islam: "How can that happen in this century?"

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

That's a pretty safe bet, since she went home to Bangladesh.

Anyway, the way he assaulted her is quite brutal, even if suspicions of cheating can get people to do crazy stuff. Religion aside, this guy must have some serious issues.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Barmy, I wish that were true. Sadly, Canada can get really, really violent. Some would blame the American influence, others poverty, whatever. I blame the permissiveness that infects Western culture -- we don't often take a stand and say "this is acceptable, this isnot, forget any of that nonsense about multiculturalism and moral relativism."

Case in point, while I know that this fellow is not a representative of Muslims as a whole, he does represent the mindset of many, many Muslims around the world. We need to make it clear to these people that we have not, do not, and will never accept this sort of crap behaviour, no matter what excuses or "rights" they throw at us.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Exhibit A: Vancouver, last week.

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Whenever I think of Bangladesh, I think of Van Wilder and Taj. Which makes me think of Taj saying "In my country, a woman's mastery of her gastronomical releases is considered the ultimate aphrodisiac!"

I'm steering clear of Bangladesh for 2 reasons now!

13. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A bit OT:
    There was a similar incident, where a Man cut off his Wife's nose.
    This was big on the news in germany!
    Anyone remember that one?!

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Wait, what?

Guys, the woman went to Canada, her husband didn't. She was mauled when she went back home to see him. The article names one other Canadian/Bangladeshi guy, who a) helped this Rumina set in, and b) is now trying to bring attention to what happened to her and condemns her husband. If must make any broad, vague and almost assuredly incorrect statement, it should be that living in Canada has helped those people adopt Western values.

What you are saying simply isn't in the article. Here it is, if anyone wants to read it.

Support continues to grow for a University of British Columbia graduate student allegedly blinded by her husband.

Rumana Manzur, who is pursuing a master's degree in political science in Vancouver, was on a visit home to Bangladesh when police say that on June 5 she was attacked by her enraged husband, who gouged her eyes with his hands and bit off part of her nose.

Manzur, who was on leave from her assistant professor position in Bangladesh, is recovering in LabAid Hospital in the capital, Dhaka, where doctors say her vision appears to have been damaged beyond repair.

Her husband, Hasan Sayeed Sumon, is in police custody.

The couple have a five-year-old daughter, Anusheh, who now is being looked after by Manzur's parents.

"It's like you're watching a horror movie, that's what was going on in my mind," said friend Saif Islam in Vancouver after watching CBC News television report on Manzur. "How can that happen in this century?"

Studies might continue

Islam and his wife were a first point of contact for Manzur when she arrived in Vancouver in September 2010, helping her settle and get acquainted with the local Bangladeshi community.

Manzur's visit to Bangladesh earlier this month was the first time she'd returned in nine months.

"So that she can't come back to Canada, he brutally attacked her and destroyed both of her eyes," said Islam. "If he took her eyes, Rumana cannot study anymore."

Sumon has yet to stand trial on the charges related to Manzur's injuries.

Islam, who is working on his doctorate about domestic violence in Bangladesh, is one of many friends in Vancouver who have signed an open online letter denouncing Manzur's husband's claims that she was having an affair, sparking the assault.

"To blame Rumana for the incident ... that she had it coming, something like that ... I wanted to oppose this," Islam said.

UBC president Stephen Toope has also published an online letter in support of Manzur.

Toope noted that a number of fundraising efforts for the injured student are underway at UBC and said she might still be able to continue her studies at the university.

"UBC is also working to prepare options for Ms. Monzur to complete her master's degree in political science," Toope wrote. " While this cannot, of course, be Rumana's immediate priority, we want her to know that everyone at UBC is thinking of her and of her future."

A fundraising rally is scheduled for Sunday outside the Vancouver Art Gallery.

With files from Priya Ramu

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Shaman - I think that LKD was just pointing out that things can be violent in Canada too. It was Barmy who initially stated that they weren't from Canada. I don't think anyone was asserting that the assault took place in Canada - I wasn't at any rate.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    I was actually just joking, quoting this guy (who I find insanely funny)...

About 4.45 in he talks about Canada being a sissy country, but it's all worth a watch (even though it's slightly out of sync). He cracks me up.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Neither was I saying the assault occurred in Canada. i was responding to Barmy's joke -- and I knew it was a joke, but thought the idea itself needed to be addressed.

It's a hot button issue right now in Edmonton, my city -- we've recorded over 25 murders so far this year. Calgary, a larger city just south of us, has recorded less than 5. Per capita, we are far and away the murder capital of Canada, and I believe I read somewhere that we are even surpassing many of the larger American urban centres. Not a record I am happy about.

18. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    No no LKD -- that's how you get 'cred!' ;)

19. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I live in America's 9th most dangeous city of 2010. We had 20 murders in 2010, with a population of 156k. I believe we are at 14 murders and counting so far this year. 25 so far this year for Edmonton is pretty damn high. You have kids, right? Get out while you can....:outta:

.... note to self, stay the hell out of Edmonton. :D

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The problem with a lot of those statistics is that they base it on population. Sometimes they put cutoffs for cities below a certain population level - usually 100k. In 2009 - the latest year I could find data for, the most dangerous place in America for murders was likely a place you've never heard of before: Pine Bluff, Arkansas. The reason: It has a population of a little over 40,000. So if a city like Baltimore* has 20 times the number of murders, it's still "more safe". If a city the size of New York has 200 times the number of murders, it's still "more safe".

The Baltimore metropolitan area is 2.7 million, but the actual city itself, as defined by it's borders it set up some 200+ years ago, is well under 1 million.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.