1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Words of advice

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    O.K.

I have some sage words of advice here:

If someone asks you, "Do your REALLY want to know?" and they have an apprehensive look on their face, they you are probably better off answering "No."

Don't ask me why I know this because you don't want to know :D

So what sage words of advice do you have?

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Remember to tell the people you love and care about that you love them. Don't take your nearest and dearest for granted whether, mate, parent, child or friend. love is one four letter word that covers a great deal of territory.

I love you Sorcerers Place.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

admonition, advisement, advocacy, aid, bum steer, caution, charge, consultation, counsel, directions, dissuasion, encouragement, exhortation, forewarning, guidance, help, information, injunction, input, instruction, judgment, lesson, news, opinion, persuasion, prescription, proposal, proposition, recommendation, steer, suggestion, teaching, telltale, tidings, tip, tip-off, two cents’ worth, view, warning, word and word to the wise.

4. nunsbane

nunsbane

Excellent advice Nakia. May many members take heed.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When someone yells, "Another round of tequila for my friends!" They are not your friend.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When eating bees, make sure they're dead before you swallow.

Dice likes this.
  7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Although Nakia's advice is probably the best; I will have to admit that Splunge's is my favorite. I had a good chuckle at it.

My advice: Anything that can be done with lies can also be done with honesty, and even if it is harder to do it that way, it is well worth the trouble: when it comes down to it, the only way to have strong connections with people is through honesty, which leads to trust.

And although that may sound like a long-ass fortune cookie, I firmly believe it.

Montresor likes this.
  8. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Not everything that is faced can be changed but nothing can be changed unless it is faced. Live everyday as if it's your last because tomorrow it might be. Don't eat yellow snow

9. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    :bad:

Don't spend your time worrying how things can get worse, try and make it better.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    If it's humming or crackling, and your hair stands up as you get closer...don't touch it.

If it's brown and stinky...don't touch it, step on it, eat it, or thow it...but feel free to place it in a paper bag and set it ablaze on someone's doorstep... :evil:

If a women asks, "Does this <insert random item of clothing here> make me look fat?" be aware that answering anything but, "Of course NOT!" will result in injury.

You can die by drinking too much alcohol, but you can also die by drinking too much water...if that's the way you want to go, alcohol poisoning is a lot more fun...

11. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    If it looks nice but doesn't have a price tag then don't ask how much it is. It will just depress you.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This one is from my Dad, and I've always thought it was pretty good:

People are to be loved and not used.

Things are to be used and not loved.

13. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    The early bird gets the worm

A rolling stone gathers no moss

Look before you leap

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Meh...the early worm is for the birds. :p

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Here is a poem that my father told a little boy who was RIGHT pissed off that the best roles in the play had been given to ******** with connections and no talent. It still makes me cry to this day. This version is from memory and may be different from the one some are familiar with. Damn thing still makes me cry.

Be the Best

If you can’t be a pine at the top of hill,
    Be a bush in the valley, but be
    The best little bush by the side of the rill
    Be a bush if you can’t be a tree.

If you can’t be a bush, be a bit of the grass,
    On some highway some happier make.
    If you can’t be a muskie, then just be a bass
    But the liveliest bass in the lake.

We can’t all be Captains, some have to be crew
    There is work enough for all of us here
    There’s the great jobs to do and the lesser to do
    And the task we must do draws near.

If you can’t be a highway, then just be a trail.
    If you can’t be the sun, be a star.
    It isn’t by size that you win or you fail.
    Be the Best of whatever you are!

16. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Awww...that's lovely!

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As my mother used to always tell me...

"Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out."

18. Silvery

Media:
    Shy bairns get nowt

19. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't your thing...

20. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

No matter how well you conceal your vices, they'll come to light. So says the guy who bumped into his own ignorant of the fact I smoke tobacco old folks. Just what I needed when in the full middle of stopping -- yet again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.