1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst accents in films - a wee list

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Cúchulainn, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Sean Connery - The Hunt for Red October
    Sean Connery - The Untouchables
    Tom Cruise - Far and away
    Richard Gere - Jackel
    Kevin Costner - Robin Hood Prince of Theives
    Gweneth Paltrow - Shakespeare in Love
    Brad Pitt - too many movies to mention
    Mel Gibson - Braveheart

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sean Bean - Silent Hill.... terrible!

3. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Any American trying to do a British accent, except Cary Elwes in RObin Hood Men in TIghts. That was just classic

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Any Australian or New Zealand soap star who goes to try and "make it big in Hollywood" and therefore has to try and do an "American" accent so they can fit in. I guess it's only funny if you remember what they used to talk like.

Examples: Cliff Curtis, Temuera Morrison, Martin Henderson, Heath Ledger, Naomi Watts, Nicole Kidman etc

Other than that, you can't go past Nicolas Cage's dodgy Italian in Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

5. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Every actor in Alexander playing a Macedonian(especially the children at the start) had an Irish accent for some reason! :lol:

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Which is funnier because Cary *is* English! o_0

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I vote for the entire cast of "A perfect storm". Probably the worst butchering of the Boston accent in the history of film.

8. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Every American actor ever 'speaking' french

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

The accents from The Departed, on the other hand, were beautiful. Except for the fact that no one actually has one anymore :p

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    The Highlander movies were appalling... Scottish accent anyone?

I hate the fake Irish accent in Sin City. That was just bad.

11. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Some of the accents from Aurthur were terrible. I remember the guy that the knights were saving in one of the first few scenes where the Brits ambushed the convoy had an accent that sounded Russian

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I never understood how so many actors fail to do an Irish accent. I think Gillian Anderson deserves credit as she pulled of a flawless Norn Iron accent.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    In what film, Cuch?

14. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Worst Ever - Dick van Dyke trying to do Cockney in "Mary Poppins".

15. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I know Harrison Ford pulled off a terrible Russian accent in a submarine movie, I forget which one though...

On the note of a very good accent though - Hugh Laurie in House.

16. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

The Mighty Celt, Barmy. Its a boring movie about greyhound racing, but auld Gillian was very impressive.

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Not surprising. The Scot was cast as an Egyptian-cum-Spaniard and a Frenchman was the Highlander.

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Costner in JFK. Gawd awful.

19. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

*sigh* I was waiting for that...

20. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Actually Christopher Lambert was born in the US (Long Island, New York). He was educated in Switzerland and he studied acting in Paris.
    In the first movie his Scottish accent is not perfect but it's not as bad as in the sequels.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.