1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst RPG game ever

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Grey Magistrate, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The 'good' guy's topic on "Best RPG game ever" and Extremist's passing comment on Ultima 8 got me to thinking: What's the worst CRPG ever?

Sure, there've been awful games, and awful CRPGs, and an awful lot of awful games masquerading as awesome CRPGs. But which CRPGs have thoroughly trashed franchises, scarred systems, ruined reputations, and run roughshod over all that is good and holy about roleplaying?

Which RPG is so thoroughly bad that it deserves the honorary alignment of "Awful Evil"?

(My vote is for Ultima 8, followed closely by Ultima 9.)

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't bought that many bad games, but Ultima 8 is one that I bought that was horrible... Absolutely horrible. I never bought another Ultima after that, but all the Ultimas before that were great.

3. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Now this is sort of a tough question, as if I hear that an RPG is really, really bad, I'll simply avoid playing it. However, I do have one worthy candidate: Dragon Warrior 7. Over 100+ hours of pure boredom, ridiculous difficulty, and tedious battles. Plus the playtesting in the game was so awful, it was possible to be irrevocalby stuck (i.e lost a quest item with no way to get it back or progress in the game) 90 hours into the game. Have fun restarting that one. Just a terrible game all around.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

*drum roll*

The answer is ... POR 2! This game sucked on so many different levels, it's just amazing how a single game can suck so well!

[ December 31, 2003, 12:47: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

5. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] *cough*NeverwinterNights*cough*
    :rolleyes:

6. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Neverwinter nights OC...

But it's great in multiplayer. :D

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dranor

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Of those I bought, Ultima 9, definitely. I ordered that piece of crap from USA especially, Dragon's Edition, to receive a crappy beta which crashed or bugged out every 5 minutes, usually invalidating the gameplay in savegames as well, or just ruining the current session. Even with the patches, it was still too buggy and unoptimized to make it playable. Origin promised to send everyone who bought the Dragon's Edition new CDs with the patched version, but, of course, they never bothered to send them to me, even after several complaints. I vowed back then I'll never buy another EA/Origin game. And I've kept my promise.

9. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I quite liked Ultima IX, and return trips have revealed things I missed on the first outing.

Off the top of my head the only cRPG I've failed to complete due the game being really quite poor was Diablo II, although I'd be surpised if there weren't titles that made that one look perfectly reasonable.

10. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I've played very few bad games - I buy games so rarely that I only ever get ones that had good reviews. However, I borrowed Temple of Elemental Evil from a friend. It didn't take me long to get utterly bored.

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Might and Magic IX. VIII was bad, but I had some hope that the next game would bring the series back to the top. It most certainly didn't.

12. Thais Paradox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I played and finished Diablo II *and* LoD twice a while ago, and they were, for a time, fondly remembered.
    A year later, having played and completed many a RPG in the mean time, I realise how shallow the gameplay actually was, so I have to say DII is the worst RPG-type I've yet played.

13. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

In defence of Diablo, I really must point out that Diablo is not an rpg! It is an action game with some roleplaying elements. (Setting and stats) However, the second was to some amount a disapointment, compared to how great the first game was.

Hmmm, bad rpg... I remember trying EOB III:Assault on myth drannor some years back. It never managed to attract my attention...

14. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I kinda like Diablo 2, it's a fun hack 'n slash game, and it's still much better than most game nowaday

15. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hands down, Pool Of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. Not only did the game thoroughly suk ass, but it has been know to screw up peoples computers as well. EASILY the worst game I've ever owned.

16. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

POR (I bet you didn't see that coming)

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Cybermercs is the worst RPG ever. No wonder there were so many copies for sale in the bargain bin for $5.

18. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I bet here's one nobody saw coming...

BGII :)

Seriously though since I doubt anyone would belive that in a hundred year's I'd have to pick a magazine game which I don't think anyone else would know about, called Ding Smallwood horrible crappy atrocious game. whoever invented it should be shot, twice.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dranor. There has been no greater let-down ever. I'm certain everyone enjoyed killing lizard-men... again... and again... and again... ... and again.

20. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't believe in 'bad' games. I just believe some games aren't for me and other people probably would like them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.