1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WW2 - The Graf Spee (And apparently, anything to do with Battleships . . .)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Anyone heard of this ship? I just watched a documentary on it. It's hilarious. Bear with me, this be a long post for me...

We'd joined the war and Hitler thought he'd pummel the **** out of lil' old Britain within a few weeks. We were completely unprepared to go to war, but had to because the Germans attacked Poland, in a nutshell. I'm sure everyone knows this, but I doubt many people know about the Graf Spee.

Basically, the Germans made a massive beast of a battleship called the Graf Spee. Hitler decided the turn his new little pet to making life difficult for Britain and tried to choke us to death. This beast was under the command of a certain Captain Langsdorff, by all accounts a thoroughly nice bloke (for a Nazi). He was given the charge of stopping trade ships from reaching Britain. So all this food we were buying to try and help us hold out against the assault of the German airforce, was all getting stopped before it reached us. This was having a devastating effect on us. After a while, it was obvious this guy wasn't going away, so the British high command ordered 3 ships to go and take him out. Now, bear in mind that our ships were, in a word, ****. They were relics from the first world war, completely out-dated.

So these 3 little ships found this German battleship and surrounded it. The Gerrie ship pummelled one of them to **** and turned on the other 2, who realised they weren't going to get any joy and legged it. They fled to Uruguay which was neutral, so no fighting there. Langsdorff went to the Uruguayan president or whatever and asked him if he could stay in Uruguay for 2 weeks whilst he repaired his ship (the rule of war was 4 days in a neutral place). The president was like... "hmm... I dunno you know". The British got wind of this and went to the president and said "hey, come on pal, let's play right, this guy can stay for 4 days, that's the rules old boy", so the president told the Germans they could only stay for 4 days.

Meanwhile, the British hatched a plan. Knowing the Germans could intercept radio messages, they radio'd back to command and made out that they had dozens of big battleships just waiting for the Graf Spee to leave port, so they could shoot it to hell (obviously, we didn't).
    Langsdorff was worried to ****. He radio'd back to Hitler or whoever and said "I say Hittles, these lads have a great fleet of battleships waiting for us, whadda we do?", "Just DON'T let those British get ahold of the Graf Spee" Hitler replied. So, Langsdorff sent his ship out to sea, completely empty of men but full of exlosives and blew it up, in his mind it was pointless letting his mates die for nothing.

When the german high command heard what he did, they hammered him with "Ya bloody coward, whadda ya think ya blowing up the pearl of our navy, achstung god damn!! blah blah!!". So this got to Langsdorff, after his mistake and all this stuff, shot himself in his head.

So, a few crappy little British ships, took out one of the best ships of the second world war just like that. This was the biggest bluff of the second world war.

Sorry for boring you, but had to share this and I think it's bloody hilarious. Just shows little Britains great attitude and grit if you ask me. Always outnumbered, always outgunned, always out-techied, but manage to pull it out of the fire. Great story I reckon!

Shame about the other Germany king ship, the Bismarck, which hammered us to kingdom come before we finally sunk her. We even made a great new flag-ship, the Hood. Sent it out to take the Bismarck out and it got sunk in about 5 mins :lol: . Gutted.

[Added to the title because I couldn't help but laugh at the posts after mine - ;) - dmc]

[ February 04, 2006, 01:24: Message edited by: dmc ]

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Great story, BA, although the Captain's suicide tempers the hilarity of it for me. But you're right, it does say some great things about the Brits.

3. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yeah, I saw that documentary too, on History Channel, this week will be about 5 documentaries about that as well, today was about the U-boats.

4. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Just few corrections Barmy. Firstly the british ships that faced Graf Spee were the cruisers Exeter (made in 1931), Ajax (made in 1935) and Achilles (made in 1933), which were inferior to Graf Spee but certainly not WWI relics. Secondly Graf Spee could certainly escape from them but with 12 cruisers, 3 battlecruisers and 4 aircraft carriers searching for it in the same area, it's very doubtfoul that it could return to Germany.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Good story, but another slight correction. The Admiral Graf Spee was a very small battlecruiser. It was only 610 feet in length and 16,000 tons fully loaded. Armament was less than 3 inches thick. It had six 11-inch guns. Compare that to the British battlecruiser the HMS Hood at 46,000 ton displacement armed with eight 15-inch guns.

This was a small ship, not the pride of the German fleet (the Bismarck was 50,000 tons with eight 15-inch guns). That the Captain chose to scuttle his ship rather than have it fall into the hands of the British is not all that unusual -- the Bismarck was sunk using her scuttling charges, not even the hundreds of 15-inch rounds and several torpedoes could sink her.

[ January 30, 2006, 23:27: Message edited by: T2Bruno ]

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Hey, come on, being Americans you must appreciate the 'Hollywood approach' :lol: .

Still a top story!

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The Hood wasn't exactly a new flagship, she was completed in 1920 and not built to withstand the armor-piercing shells used in 1941. The new ship facing the Bismarck was the Prince of Wales, which was badly shot up before having to flee.

There's some info on the Hood here, with links to the Prince of Wales and the battle of the Denmark Strait:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-fornv/uk/uksh-h/hood3.htm

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I knew all about it, including the fact that the Graf Spee wasn't a real battleship, not like the Bismarck anyway, but that doesn't make the story less interresting.

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think the story about the Tirpitz, the sistership of the Bismarck, is better.

The Tirpitz lay most of the war in one of Norway's numerous fjords, because she had no battle group to accompany her. Her few missions were quite unsuccesful. But her mere presence in reach of the supply lines between GB and the USSR had an degrading effect on the morale of british navy soldiers.

There were many attempts to sink her, including a british commando mission using limpet mines and a torpedo run by a sowjet submarine (!). All happend at the landing place on the nowegian cost.
    After she was damaged by said mines, british Lancaster bombers sunk her using bombs especially made for this task.

It's quite hilarious: One of the biggest white elephants in military history uses up that much resources and is attacked and sunk while in port, which it almost never left. :D

10. Montresor

Media:
  11. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

While we're discussing famous naval "sinkings" of WW2, nothing beats the story of the USS Indianapolis .

An amazing and tragic story.

Here's more detailed info. ...you'll have to click on the "Indianapolis (CA-35)" link because I can't post the full link here.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Modern warships have GUNS not cannons. Cannons do not have rifled barrels.

The largest guns on a battleship are called the Main Battery.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    pedant :lol:

14. Montresor

Media:
    Rifles, then. :p

(Seriously, thanks for the correction!)

15. T2Bruno

Media:
    BA: It comes from BEING a gunnery officer on a battleship. There's a bit of pride and arrogance in every battleship sailor.

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    You served on a battleship? Looks like you just dated your military service ;) .

17. T2Bruno

Media:
    True, the last battleship was decommissioned 15 years ago.

18. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Dammit AMaster, you sank T2Bruno's battleship! :roll:

19. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

...but I think he still has his carrier ;)

Wasn't there some talk a while ago about bringing some of the old battleships back into service? Does anyone know what's come from that?

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    For what purpose? Granted they are bigger, but they do not provide any tactical advantage that cannot be gained from using another type of ship. Plus, being out of service for 15 years, they'd need some pretty hefty upgrades.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.