1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

XBox Games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Munchkin Blender, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

What are some good RPG and first person shooters on XBox 360? I'm suppose to get one for Xmas and would like to know what games are available that are worth purchasing and ones to avoid.

If it is a first person shooter I like to play the camaign within the game, not too big on internet gaming as my broad band is on the slower side, and whenver possible I prefer games that are two players coop.

As for RPG, as long as the story is good and the combat system is well explained in the manual or within the game, I will play almost any RPG.

So, what is out there?

Never been big on XBox or XBox 360; I always leaned more towards PS or Nintendo.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Red Dead Redemption is probably the best game I've ever played on 360. You must get that.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

RPG-wise, Mass Effect 1 & 2 are probably the cream of the crop on the 360. If you haven't already played them on the PC, pick up the console versions post haste. The original Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is probably the best single player shooter on the 360; MW2 is fun, but the campaign is shorter & it's more multiplayer-focussed. Black Ops' campaign is apparently shorter still. Also, CoD: MW will be available dirt cheap on budget, and you can decide whether you want to pick up its sequels after playing the original.

Also lookout for Bioshock; its gameplay is essentially an RPG/FPS hybrid (and more than a bit reminiscent of System Shock 2 - i.e. almost exactly the same). Again, it has a sequel which you can also pick up if you like the original.

As a left-field suggestion, I can recommend Assassin's Creed 2. Whilst technically neither of the genres you mentioned, it incorporates much RPG spirit. By which I mean that the better you are at playing the role of an assassin, the better you'll do. There's also fair degree of exploration & side questing going on, and the gameplay is great fun in itself. I also loved the original Assassin's Creed on the PC, but apparently the 360 version is a bit thinner and more repetitive, and as many people hated it as loved it (apparently), so skipping straight to the sequel is probably advisable.

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Any time there is a game that is on the PS3 and XBox 360 I will tend to lean more towards the PS3 as I am more comfortable with the PS3 controllers and with 2 it is easier for me to play the game when my big screen TV is being used by someone else.

I was hoping to get opinoin of gamers on here about Xbox 360 exclusive titles like Halo and Gears of War, etc...

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Halo is doggers, Gears is quality. Gears 2 is probably the best shooter I've played on 360.

6. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Halo is a very competent shooter, it doesn't try much new, but it doesn't really do anything wrong. Worth at least a rental.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I know you post prior to my previous post but as I stated previously if the game is availabe on PS3 and XBox I will buy the PS3 version of the game simply because I have two PS3 consoles (1 in my living room and 1 in my bedroom) and both have harddrives to download game content if needed. The Xbox I'm getting is the 4GB model, so most of the games played on will have to require no to little downloading of game content since the system is basically harddrive less. I do plan on buying a harddrive for it down the road but I just don't know when.

8. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The 4gb consoles have problems with lots of games, you're honestly better off getting one qith a decent hard drive.

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Well, if you are looking for X-box exclusives, then Halo and Gears are the obvious two. I've played a little Halo and didn't really get into it. Always felt too 'floaty' and I didn't really have any moments that made me think 'that was awesome!'. On the other hand, it is massively popular (and has support competitively), so you may well enjoy it. Don't know about how much co-op all of them have, but I can remember Halo 3 having it.

Gears, on the other hand, I can recommend. The campaigns are both decent enough, although Gears 2 gets a little ridiculous a couple of times. There is co-op as an option here too. I've had a fair bit of fun playing them online, though if you already have internet connection woes, you may have a bit of a hard time getting going. You can choose your host in Gears 1, so at least find an acceptable connection. Problem is that half of the remaining community think they are leet snipers and only play sniper matches; the other half come across as elitist jerks. The matchmaking in Gears 2 is messed up- it was a bad system in the first place and it is possible to exploit it to maximise your chances of hosting. Hosting is a very big deal in Gears. Still, as I said before starting to rant, it is worth taking a look if only for the campaigns.

Other than that, I generally agree with Magpie regarding the other games. If you are going CoD, pick up CoD 4- it should be pretty cheap by now.

Definitely shorter- I blazed through it without effort the first time I went at it and was a bit surprised at how quickly I came to the end. Plus, the story is pretty absurd. Can't recommend the multi-player to be honest. MW did it better- it is just too easy to abuse the MW2 multiplayer, so loads of people do it. Sometimes good, but often gets unpleasant.

Indeed. Played it on the 360 and it does get repetitive. Once you have worked the combat out, for example, you're unlikely to ever be in that much danger again. Nice idea, but you're not missing out on anything all that important by just going to AC2.

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

The XBox is a gift so chances are it will be the 4GB model and not the 250GB model. Besides, the 250GB HD can be picked up for about 100 clams, which is a bit high for a 250GB HD but than again it is M$soft that is selling it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.