1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yet another newbie thread. Kinda.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ravynn, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hi all. I decided to post this because of the apparent popularity of Newbie run throughs, and I want to make friends. I have played BG2 before, but the farthest I have ever gotten was spellhold, so I don't know if that means I can claim newbie status or not, but i am so there. Besides, it's not like you have to respond to this you could just ignore me, though I hope you don't. There are a lot of quests I haven't done, so they will also be new to me. Anyway, let me know if you'd be interested in reading this topic, if not I will discontinue it. Ok, i have Weimer's tactic mod installed, but that is the only one I will be using this time around, except maybe the flirt or banter packs, don't know yet. I am making a CG skald, assuming they can use katanas or a F/M or FT if not, and will continue to post every day or so as long as interest in this thing lasts. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO give me any advice tips hints spoilers etc. that you feel are necessary. Thanks in advance for reading this and I look forward to getting to know some of you. Oh, and hi HB and Nakia Nightshadow. I have TOB installed so I guess I post here. If not let me know. And thanks Shrikant.

[ February 18, 2005, 21:19: Message edited by: Ravynn ]

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

So this is your first experiance with Tactics. Did you install the first component?
    I think we will be hearing your screams pretty soon then ;)
    Tell us how you became the hero of those Dyrads. :p

3. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It's a grand new trend! And a lot of reading to! :) Let's go! let's go!

4. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

:shake: I can't wait! I got so tired of running around Irenicus's dungeon (I think I have done it 8 times, what with starting out new characters, deciding they're crap, starting again etc.) Except for the mephits, the fights were too easy. I look forward to trying out this mod, I have heard good things about it. I will come back with more detailed character stats and stuff.

[ February 19, 2005, 00:35: Message edited by: Ravynn ]

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Dungeon-be-gone is essential. I am constantly restarting and this mod adds to the re-playability for me. At the moment I have 2 games going on at once - a halfling Assassin (level 14) who is great fun and an elven fighter/mage (level 9 in his mage class) who is also great fun.

I have not read Harbourboys Newbie guide as i missed most of it so I look forward to following this one!

6. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

I have DBG, and after I kill the duergar, I am outta here! Holy Crap those guys are tough! To recap, my PC Serena is a CG Half elven Fighter Mage Thief. So hit points suck, I will have to wait a few levels before I can tank her. Ummm, the duergar fight was a massacre. So far it has been scream in terror, soil trousers, die, reload, repeat. I'll get him tonight though. Wish me luck, I am going in! Reports to follow.
    Forgot to mention her stats: Str 15 Dex 18 Con 18 Wis 10 Int 18 Cha 10. Honest to goodness no cheats stats. Only took me 55 rolls. :p

[ February 20, 2005, 17:07: Message edited by: Ravynn ]

7. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ghehehe these tactics-duergar, my wild mage needed some very lucky spells to get those little buggers down :D
    So good luck Ravynn!

8. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

God those little buzzards are tough! I either need to change my fmt to a straight fighter or something or bring down the difficulty level. It's on insane now. I really hope fmt's get really powerful later on, my pc is kinda weak. well, more postings to come. Later.

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You do realise that a 9/9/9 F/M/T with 18 Con gets only 6 more HP, as compared to one with 16 Con. 2 precious points which can be put to better use.

Hehehe. Have you tried sleeping yet :D

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think the Fighter / Mage / Thief will get more powerful later but at the moment the THAC0 will be too high for straight out melee fighting. That's why you take Minsc with you through the dungeon because he can swat through the goblins and memphits quickly enough to make sure you don't have to keep resting to restore your 1 magic missile.

11. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

@Shrikant- heh. i haven't even met the boss duergar yet. Every time i get in a fight, i wind up using just about all Serena and Immy's spells, and all Jaheira's healing spells, and the three lousy healing potions and I still only have about half my hit points. So what do I do? Take a quick nap. heh. What happens when I wake up? A mage and fighter start pounding on me. Grrr. Not only that, but the lousy mothers CHEAT! They come after me like a magnet when I am invisible. Of course the first spell every mage casts is stoneskin and some pinkish purple protection spell, so no weapon can hit them, hence I am always running out of spells after each fight. And somehow from across the screen, they can hit ME with every confusion and fireseed spell they cast. I am always the target of all their attacks. The others stand around and shoot arrows at the fighters and Immy or Jaheira cast spells at the mage while I run in circles around the room. Often the little buggers run into and then around Minsc and whoever else happens to be backing me up. Heh, this game is awesome! Well, two can cheat. I Cluad some boots of speed and I will SK a couple +1 Katanas and see if this changes my luck. More postings to come. I love this game! :D

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Try using web spell to hold these annoying enemies and just keep shooting them with arrows.

13. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

Yes, that seems to work Cesard. Also, I wonder if that pink cylinder spell is protection from normal weapons. I have the +1 dagger and will grab the +1 long sword when I play again and see if that changes my luck. I could not bring myself to cheat, except to get those boots of speed, more for convenience than anything else. I wish you could run in this game, they move too slow. Also, if you cast web, don't cast any fire spells in the vicinity, cause the web will be destroyed. Of course, if your enemies cast it and your mage is free, cast fireball and cross your fingers. I usually have Immy and Jaheira cast web and entangle and then pick off my enemies from just outside the range of the web spells. That seems to work well, although now I am out of arrows AND spells. Well, the winds of change are blowing, I feel confident that whatsisname dies tonight. :evil:

14. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That pink cylinder spell is 'protection from normal missiles' so normal arrow/bolts/bullets/darts don't work. If they're magical then you can pierce the shield but otherwise don't bother shooting them. If you really want to kill a pesky mage, get all you're thieves to hide in shadows and walk up behind the bugger and SNEAK ATTACK!!! If the pest doesn't die then send in the tanks after a volley of spells. I know this doesn't apply at the moment but later on it is useful. Oh yeah, and you might want some cloaks of non-detection for those thieves because mages tend to have a repatoir of invisibilty detection. Have fun! :D

15. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

Thanks RF. I think tonight when I face Illyich, I will have Jaheira memorize as many healing spells as she can so I dont' have to sleep anymore. Sneak attack rules! :evil:

16. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

What are you memorizing for Jaheira's second level spells? I never know what to take, and "as many healing spells as possible" seems to imply taking Good Berry which seems like a waste.

Remember to use your Bhaal spawn abilities like Draw Upon Holy Might! It helps in melee somewhat.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Surely Good Berry is one of the most pointless spells ever?

18. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I never use Good Berry.

19. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

I don't know what to do anymore. Good berry is worthless, but still, with 3 of the weakest healing potions in the game, and not being able to sleep without waking up to another fight where I use up most of my spells, I will take whatever healing I can get. However, I really don't think a 5/5/6 FMT can get through this fight. I've done the cheesiest, cheatingest tactics my devious little brain can think of and I keep getting killed. One thing that i did find effective was to have my Fairy Dragon familiar cast invisibility 10 ft radius and walk past the buggers, then have Minsc and Jaheira and Immy destroy the two golems in that one room. After they die, I or Immy snipe at the closest duergar and have them all rush towards me while I make haste into the golem room. They cant get through the door with Minsc and Jaheira pounding on them while Immy and I are safe behind them sniping them. Then it's fairly simple dealing with the mages. Then what happens, I walk into another group of the little twerps and get slaughtered. There just aren't enough healing potions to go around. Finally, I make it to Illyich's encounter, and what happens? I meet a DEMON and a cleric that can summon a Deva. I think I'll just have to create a new character, I usually do really well with F/T this is the first time I have played any caster class as a pc, or skip this dungeon all together with DBG. Anyone done Tactics before that can help me decide which spells to use? I am just about at the end of my rope. :bang:

20. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Run and hide and wait! They may be more powerfull, but their spell protections don't last forever. Draw them out one at a time and use bottlenecks so you only have to deal with one of them at a time. Use your bhaal powers a lot and trie setting traps before sleeping or if luring a badguy to you. you also don't need to take on the illyich's group and can gain some levels first by going through the portal and take on that level, or sneak past them and go to the air elemental para plane. Sneak is your friend!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.