1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

You Got Owned

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, what's the biggest beat-down you've ever taken in BGII/ToB. I'm talking the whole party dies, and you didn't know what hit you. Granted, you're probably going to have to go back pretty far, as battles become easier the more times you do them. Since mods add a lot to the game, feel free to list two beat-downs. One for the regular game, and one for the mods.

For me, in the base game, it was probably my first attempt through the D'Arnise Keep (although my first fight with a shadow dragon is a close second - didn't know about dragon fear, or the possibility of being level drained). I went into the room filled with golems and just started grabbing stuff like crazy. All of my characters were in the room, and I didn't even realize at the time that my present weapons meant most of my characters couldn't even hit the golems. I got owned.

For mods it's no contest. The first time I fought the Eclipse Crew they laid an ass-whoopin' the likes have rarely been seen on me.

So what's yours?

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Vampiric Solaufein combined with Improved Bodhi. Sola was the party's only mage. We were utterly "pwned" (as the cool gamers intentionally mistype).

3. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

None of the final bosses were ever too hard but once i was using a solo mage and just ran into balthazar i got mobbed with no protection and died in seconds (no stoneskin :D )

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Normal game: First fight with JonBon on Tree of Life. Me being still a newbie, he casted Timestop, and then casted something else, result: Me, Imoen, Nalia died instantly! I was utterly shocked! What did he cast that powerful?

Answer: A most dreadful Wail of the Banshee! :wail: And mages have bad saves vs death!

Modded Game: Challenged that Yellow Dragon in Ritual quest, what was his name, Irakoud'neg or such I am not sure. His (most illegal) CContingency put soo many defenses and a TimeStop! He then improved hasted himself, removed magic, then went on an attacking frenzy, wing buffets and yellow dragon scorching sand! (BTW what kind of damage it does? I thought fire, but it looks it is normal damage?) End of TimeStop: Lots of Chunky Deaths including me. BLAST BLAST BLAST! A shower of fresh meat and blood! :mommy: (I was playing in insane BTW)

5. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Good one Aldeth. It was probably the Golems for me too and the umberhulks also took me off guard, didn't know about dog stew then :D . I also remember having a helluva time time with Firkraag, wing buffets, fear and all.

Edit: I don't have any mods, so that part will have to come later. :p

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Irenicus in Hell, for a second it was: "Everything's ok, we're gonna make it, this is going to be fine!"
    And then: "AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGHT! Not my spleen!" :eek:
    That was my all-out melee party.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I was wandering round the docks, and Yoshimo's trap detection highlighted a door next to Mae'var's guiiiild house (as Renal calls it :lol: ). After disarming it and jimmying the lock, my first thought was "why is a random house locked and trapped?" My second thought was "obviously, there must be something good inside!" So I went in, got the quest and decided to go and deal with the other liches. I got back, triggered the lich and decided to have a go fighting him. "Well, that seems a fairly tough battle, but nothing some extra buffs wouldn't handle," I thought after losing Jaheira and having to reload. The next time I managed to kill the lich without loss.

I probably don't need to say what happened then, do I? :shake:

Although, I believe my words were something akin to: "Holy ****!! What the ****ing **** happened to my ****ing party?!?!!"

Ah, Kangaxx. There's so many known ways to dispose of the cantankerous old bugger nowadays, it's almost possible to forget the shock value of that first encounter. Sure, he's a one-trick pony, but it's a hell of a trick: "now you see your party, now you don't!" :shake:

8. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

The lich hidden in the basement of the inn by the Athkatla gates. My rogue happens to discover a hidden door, so there we go. Before I knew what was going on, a Meteor Swarm was raining on my party.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

The usual sticks out in my mind - my first run in with good old Kangaxx and his rapid fire imprissonment spells left me confusedly scratching my head and wondering what the hell happended to my characters.

The Eclipse party is a pretty good one too, I was an experienced veteran of the game by that point and they just cut me to ribbons.

On the more embarrasing side, the first time I was teleported to the Underdark exit I was competely wiped out by the small party of drow that sits outside of the door there. My party was pretty battered at that point and I wasn't expecting a fight. By the time I realized what was happening half my party was dead and the rest quickly followed.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

One word: Kangaxx.

11. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nuff's said :p

12. Gilden Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

spoilers
    When you come up from the sewers under the Copper Cornetto to the room with the slavers.

Me (F/Th), newbies Aerie and Korgan breezed in, got decimated by the throwing axe guy, couldn't get a failed save from the enemy spell user, got peppered by arrows, and in taking on the spell-user, I blundered into the acid trap by the stairs. 100% wipe out. :o

Can't believe how much easier that is now. Preparation is all.

As for BG1 (off topic I know), it was when I emerged feeling chipper from finishing the Nashkell Iron mine and picking up Xan. That feeling lasted until I met the green-slime-creating wizard (I got nailed), then met the 'bounty hunters' in the North part of the same map....nailed again, {sigh}.

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Unmodded BG2: Balthezar. His lunar stance (iirc) and leg sweep continually bonked my party around. I had a brilliant idea of using this fancy-dancy spell Imoen knew - Time Stop. :hahaerr:

Modded BG2: Solaufein's 'Improved Shade Lord'. Only 2 people lived in that battle - Keldorn, due to his pally saves and Sola, due to his buffs. If fighting the undead wasn't enough, the Harpers decided this was also a great time to stop by and chitchat with Jaheira. There are ppl here who really enjoy Weimer's mods, but constant reloading (after 14 times, I resorted to CTRL+Y) because of PC and party deaths is not my idea of a fun modification. :nolike: :grr:

14. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The first time I fought the Demon Wraith in Watchers Keep. Mostly because I didn't know about the traps that unload fireballs and prismatic spray while you are trying to to deal with an undead demon wizard who seems to like to use level drain. It took me like 7 times until I got licky and beat him. I still have problems with him. Well mostly the traps.

15. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    My *ss was kicked by the group of thugs down in the sewers under the Temple district (the one with the dwarf demanding money). They were hard to beat because all I expected were some puny kobolds and goblins :D

I never played a modded game (except with Dungeons-be-gone)

16. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

My very first n00b run thru (on core with a Pally, Minsc, Anomen, Aerie, Jahiera, and Yoshimo), that evil chick and her party in Firkraag's dungeon (I went there right away) totally owned my party. This was the first battle I had to replay over and over and over again before emerging with no fatalities... But then again, I was also owned by Mencar Pebblecrusher's crew before this, but didn't bother to replay that battle...

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Man, where do I start? I got beaten up like that in just about every single room in the game from the opening dungeon through to the Hell.

But if I had to choose one, it would have been that lich thing in that pub by the gates. I never did find a way to beat it. Luckily, he is not plot critical so after many fruitless battles I had to give up and move on.

18. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

HB - He may not be critical to the plot, but you can get a handy sword for fighting vampires from him.

For me, unmodded, I'd have to say the Shadow Dragon was a rather... unpleasant encounter. Then again, so was Kangaxx.

Modded, Improved Abazigal from Ascension. I didn't know exactly what I was getting into with a multiple dragon battle.

I learned my lesson very quickly....

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The Shadow Dragon. My party was at a very low level (everyone was around 9 I think), and I was barging through the dungeon without paying attention to wardstones and things like that. Needless to say, after getting wiped all over the area, I was a bit more careful on my second run.

And Kangaxx, of course!

20. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Hmm the first time around, it was Mencar Pebblecrusher and his gang. They utterly owned me, Minsc and Jaheira.

The modded one was the wizards you meet at the end of the G3 annivesary quest. But I was low levelled then and combined with Tactics and other mods help explain this defeat :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.