1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Life's Dreams

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

How many of you are doing what you really want to do with your life? Or are you working towards that life's goal of yours?
    If you are not, why not? Did something happen in your life to prevent you from following your dream? Why did you decide not to?

2. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What I'd want to do with my life is not in my control. As it would involve other people as well.

The things that I do have in my control, are out as well. As just about each and every one of those things would involve risks that realistically had more chance of devastating my life than making it any better. Also, dreams have a tendency to end.

So I'm living one day at a time, enjoying all this to the best of my ability. Never taking things seriously and always knowing that the ultimate goal of our lives is to live the way we want to, relative to the environment and the limitations it puts on you. All the while hoping that at least my dream of a swift and easy death, will be something that comes true.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

A bit idealistic, but my dream is to pick up a sword and fight for what I believe in. Fighting for 'good'. Fighting for a world where honor and justice still matter, where the strong stand up to protect the weak, instead of exploiting them. A world that I can call home.

Alas, it can never be true, for I'm stuck here.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I have a decent job that could be more inspiring, but I do have some opportunity to do worthwhile things, not just the same old grind. I realized long ago that I didn't have the drive required to become a Nobel-winning scientist or inventor, so now I'm happy to do my 40 hours per week, collect my paycheck, and go home to my family.

There's the other half of my dream. When I was young I never saw myself as a Mom, but now I wouldn't trade it for anything. Watching a baby turn into a person is just the coolest thing I've ever seen.

The only thing I could possibly want is a cleaner house, more free time for family and hobbies, and to drop 15-20 pounds. :roll:

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

My lifes dream is to become a successful guitarist, making enough money to eat, have a descent home and enough to tour. But until I actually manage to play the Stairway To Heaven solo, I'm going to try hard at school and do the best I can for my future life.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Personally, I want to enslave the entire planet and subjugate everyone to my will.

But someone stole my ring, so I'm kinda in limbo right now.

I put up some flyers around town. I expect it to turn up any day, now...

7. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

For a lot of people it seems like thier goals are unattainable therefore they don't try. After all, a lot of great people were already exceptional from childhood, right? I always try to see that as a reason to try harder. I want to be a great martial artist. I want to be a great guitarist. I am still young, so it's really unclear to me if either of these is realistic. I'm not going to lose sight of these two things though, if I have to drop everything else. What's the point of living if you can't feel alive?

8. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

See that's the thing, so many people think thy can't do what they really want. In most cases, it is possible though. Even though at this second I am unemployed. I am still working in the field of environmental education, which is what I always wanted to do. When I lived in Alabama, a friend and I started a business called Alabama Eco Expeditions. We were an eco-education/eco-tourism company. We lead trips to various locations and taught them aobut the geology, biology and human history of the area. We had topics such as astronomy, canyon ecology, island ecology, etc. It was really fun. When I moved, it kinda died down. But I am in the process of designing a similar company that would have locations throughout the US. WE'll run trips for kids, adults, any age group. I've done it before at my junior college, we had a department that did similar things. Good old College of DuPage Field Studies, for anyone from the Chicago area). Its fun, its what I want to do and dammit, I'm going to make it happen.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have a wonderful wife, two absolutely fabulous kids, a nice place to live, parents who are still together, good brothers, good in-laws, a deranged dog with a crotch-diving problem but a sweet disposition, a job that pays a lot and gives me daily mental challenges, several coffee places within walking distance of work and home, authors that continue to publish good books to read, excellent restaurants all over (and the aforementioned wife is a great cook -- as am I when I have the time). Sure, I'd like to work less. I'd like to be a better basketball and tennis player and wish I could lose the slice and hook in my golf game. So what? I'm happy, and if this isn't the perfect life, it's the closest I'm going to see. Sure, I would like more money and the things that go with it, but I'm not willing to sacrifice more of my time with my family for that (see the "Rich" thread on this topic) and I have noted that those with truly "obscene" amounts of money (i.e., some of my clients) have some fundamental problems and are not happy.

Did I want to be a lawyer when I was young? No. I wanted to be an engineer. Turns out that I probably would hate being an engineer, but I like being a lawyer -- go figure.

I sleep like the dead every night -- how many super rich people get a full night's sleep every night?

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I am a manic-depressive, unemployed high-school dropout living with a bunch of other people like me. My life has sucked majorly for the last ten years. If something i have wanted to happen has happened, it has always blown to my face.

Am I living the life I want to live? ¨No.

Am I going to struggle until I WILL live the life I want to live? Yes. On moday, I shall start a rehabilitating course that will give me something to do until August, which will be when I will start in vocational school, studying computers and economics, doing something I really WANT to do... the Finnish high school was not meant for me. I had no patience for it.

I wanted to go to high school, you know. I wanted to get the International Baccalaureate degree, and I was accepted to the program. But the funy little thing called lack of sanity got in the way, as well as the bastards who ruled my life with an iron fist, in the place I lived... It was hell, trying to concentrate on schooling when your life is in shambles, falling apart around you. Ihad no social life, no friends, no hobbies, no nothing, besides computers and SP... Guess what happened? I started skipping school in order to get more time to use the internet at school, and spend time here in SP. Thje only way to keep myself sane was to spend time with you guys... So long, any hopes of ever getting past the preparatory year of IB... But then again, it was not what it was supposed to be.

I used to dream of high life of academica. Years and years of universities, like my sister has done. It took me years to realize that it was only because of my sister that I wanted that. It was because I wanted to be like her that I was so dead set on the academic lines. Now, I can see more clearly.

I am addicted to computers. I can't study because I will skip class because I can't stay away from the 'puters. So, to prevent this, I shall start studying computers. "If the mountain does not come to...." and the like.

Besides, there is the vocational school -> polytechnics -> University -> doctorate route hese days, too... I want a doctorate before I turn thirty, too! :p

I also want to write... That is something I would love to do all my life. I love writing, and I hope that one day, a book of mine will be published... regular tidbits of info can be found at Random Babbling (like the flying sheep :p )

My life sucks and I am not where I want to be or imagined myslelf being at this point of time. Thenm again, I am not even legal yet. I still have time. I'll dig this thread up in ten years' time, and have a look at things... we'll see how things are then.

(your friendly neighbourhood freak)

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I can sympathise with you Arabwel. I was forced to change a lot from when I was a small brat to when I became full-aged.. if not an adult. Yet, I don't think computers as something that is not "real life" at all. Increasingly so, as they become more "real" than what real life is every day. Many things I could not do, or say, or see in real life, I actively do with my computer every day. And this is not mere games that I'm talking about here.

I hope you'll find your calling in life though. Suffice to say, you're not alone with that problem. It's bothered me for the better part of a decade.

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

being a writer... hopefully I'm realizing that dream right now

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    You and me both... You and me both.. One day, Tal will get cash from books written by us that peole will by thorough SP, ne?

Writing is my life.

(I want a quill tattoo!)

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I would like to become a computer programmer, get DIS up and running properly, and create the games I have designed and planned.

I want to become a better drawer and perhaps do pictures that people don't laugh at.

I would like to get my poems and stories/novels published and write more. Perhaps make it a sort of living along with my programming.

I would also like to get in touch with my family and old friends I have lost over the years.

I'd like to get a title too, like my friend who got the title of a wise-man, perhaps I could be a wise-woman :roll:

15. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I am working on my dream and watching it start to come to fulfillment - working on my postgraduate education with the endgoal being a literature and writing professor. :book: A few years ago, I was not so sure that it would happen, :bang: that I would be trapped in retail sales for the rest of my life, :borg: but in the last two and a half years, I have seen my dreams move towards fruition... :whee:

16. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I had some good dreams when I was in high school and when I started University. Then I met the woman of my dreams -- and she just happened to have a kid. We got married and had 2 more. Now I can't do a lot of the things I wanted to do -- it's just not financially feasible. Do I care? Not at all. I just got me some new dreams, is all. My wife is worth the change. My girls are worth the change.

"Sometimes you don't get what you wanted. Sometimes, you get something better."

If anyone can place that quote, . . . . you must have kids too!!

17. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

YES!!!
    I am one of the lucky few I guess. But getting what you want or doing what you want comes with its own price and sacrifice.
    I make music, I love music, I share my music with others, and I get paid to do this.
    Basically I get to do what I love.

It took me over 20 yrs to get to the level I have achieved though. If I had known the amount of work it would entail I don't know that I would have chosen to begin learning. I guess sometimes it is good to be blissfully ignorant!

18. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm not quite living my dream, but I'm getting there. The dream -- become a professional writer. I'm working on a book now, but I can't spend as much time on it as I'd like...or am not too willing to spend that much time on it now. In my head, I'm about a third of the way done. On paper, that fraction becomes far more ridiculously small. But all I need to do is take the time to finish penning down the ideas.

I'm also on my way towards a Creative Writing major here at college, just to expand my writing horizons.

Like the other would-be budding writers here at SP, I promise I'll let you guys know when I'm finished. ;)

19. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Hmm... this is an interesting topic. Sometimes this requires more introspection than the other threads on the boards.

I'm not quite living my dreams. I'm teaching parttime at the undergraduate level. I enjoy an amout of flexibility and free time (especially to play games and check the boards.) :D I might leave the academe and start my own business. Being called an entrepreneur has a nice rice ring to it.

For those who are far from living the dream, keep going. Nothing worthwhile in life comes easy. Don't settle for small dreams because they seem attainable. Dream big! It's probably the only free
    thing in life.

For those who are happy, good for you. I wish you more happiness.

Finally, to those who want to write, play music and the like, I wish you the best. Let us know when you publish something or hit it big. :)

20. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Life's Dream: Coaching basketball in an elementry school in Vietnam.

Right now: Studying biophysic in an U.S. university.

Believe me, i am working hard to realize my dream.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.