1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2006 Ashes

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Stu, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Who'd have thought that Paul Collingwood would be England's hero? That guy can be surprisingly effective.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah when it's a case of backs to wall, grinding it out and nurdling singles, he's your main. He's got good mental strength, unlike Straussy who's a bit of a choker IMO. When he's in with a hitter like Kay Pee, they can compliment each other well. Kev needs someone like Colly down the other end to calm him down now and again.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, the Australian bowlers have no answer to the power of English willow today. It's always interesting to see just how good a captain Ricky Ponting is, when he is actually forced to use a tactic other than "throw the ball to Glenn and/or Shane"

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yeah it's interesting indeed matey.

Collingwood just got out for 206, he's played superbly. That's his highest ever score in all 1st class cricket. What a place to do it! I know it's a very flat wicket, but the runs still need scoring.

I tell you who I've been impressed with though. Pietersen. I've never been a big fan of his as I saw him as a liability. We all know he can smack and slap, but I never thought he was capable of building an innings. This innings, he's shown he can build a massive score without trying to smash it to the boundary each ball. Very good I reckon.

I think Flintoff and Pietersen should open their shoulders up a bit and score a few quick runs for the last session, then send Australia in for the last 30 mins and have a quick bowl at them.

5. Harbourboy

They're all falling apart now. But the batsmen have done enough. It's like a re-run of last year's Ashes!

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yeah we've got enough now. We probably could ideally have done with an extra 50-60 runs (which we won't get now). But the batsmen have done just about enough. The pitch is *just* starting to do a little something as well. There's some reverse there at least. I'm hoping we get a good half an hour burst at the openers before the end of play.

7. Harbourboy

Stay awake Barmy! Don't miss any wickets!

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    I guess Freddie heard my hope! Was nice to shift Langer so cheaply, he's been on form. Would have been nice to shift Ponting as well, they we really would have been in charge. Still plenty of real quality in that batting line up for Australia though. They've got world class from 1-8. even if we make them follow on, I'm not sure we've got enough time, with our bowling attack, to bowl them out twice. Clever money is on a draw in this test.

Still, it's better stuff than the last test.

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think Australia's problem was that they didn't play a South Aussie. The most runs scored by a batsman at Adelaide oval in an Ashes Test was Don Bradman, a (adopted) South Australian with 299 runs. The most runs by a batsman at Adelaide oval in a Pura Cup game was Darren Lehman, a South Australian. The bowling figures of recent times at the oval in a pura cup game was by Shaun Tait, 8 for 64(i think) against Tasmania. Cosgrove (2005 Bradman Young Cricketer of the Year) is also playing well at the moment. I'm probably more than a tad biased though :)

It will be interesting to see how we play though, whether Ponting tries for a win, or settles for a draw. For my viewing pleasure I hope it is the former, because I think one day cricket has conditioned me into faster paced games.

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    I don't think Australia have much chance of getting a win here, Stu. They'd need to knock off about 700 then skittle England second innings for less than 150. Not going to happen (watch that come back and bite me in the arse now).

11. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Excellent response by England to the first test and it's nice to see some restraint from Pietersen if only Strauss could do the same. Having lost Trescothick, Collingwood has played extremely well, just what we needed.

Like Barmy I think a draw would be your best bet, if we can get the follow on then there's a chance we could win but not unless Harminson gets his act together. I havent seen the replay yet (dont have sky) but how did he bowl last night?

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    He didn't We only had 10 overs, shared between Freddie and Hoggy

13. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Oh right I fell asleep whilst listening to Radio 5 Live, some of the commentary is pretty funny :thumb: . 10 overs and Langer gone, excellent. :D

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yeah, I used to put the TV on with the volume down and listen to the radio commentary when it was on BBC. I just watch it on TV now though as Sky coverage is better

15. Harbourboy

Excellent stuff. I half forget that Sri Lanka are in New Zealand and that we have a test match of our own starting in a few days.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    I hope Harmison is firing tomorrow because we need another incisive bowler. We can't rely on Freddie to bat, captain the side and be our only strike bowler. Harmy needs to be on the ball tomorrow or it'll be a looong day.

17. Harbourboy

Hey! What about Kevin Pietersen? I thought he was your new strike bowler. I bet he bowls today.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well, he does seem to be our main spinner these days!

I think Mr. Limelight realizes the only way he can steal Freddies thunder is to turn himself into all all-rounder :lol:

19. Harbourboy

How's the 24 hour waking vigil going then?

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    I'm a bit tired! My family think I'm completely nuts. I hope lack of sleep doesn't make me cranky.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.