1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3.5 E Forum Based Game

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Rotku, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

LAY OF THE LAND
    Just a bit more information. As I really don't have a map drawn out (although have a rough idea of what's where in my head), just for this campaign I'm going to use a map of the roman empire, as it suits the purpose - including the names and everything. Sorry if it's a bit of an immersion breaker. It can be found here. The only difference needed is that Rome obvious is renamed.

On the tip of Italy (if Italy is a boot, the tip I'm talking of would be the heel of the boot, not the toes) sits a great mountain, where a mighty dragon who is considered the gardian of the empire (and the namesake of the capital) is found.

To the south, lies a great desert. North, there is a large frozen waste land. To the west you have a huge sea. And finally, the east, an 'unclimbable' range of mountains, where the gods are said to live. The world is considered flat, with the edge of the world been found obviously at the edge of the desert, sea, ice shelf and mountains.

[EDIT]After this post, unless anyone has any specific questions, I'll not be posting any more info regarding the setting before the game begins, for a number of reasons (1) I'll end up thinking of some great idea later on, but be cut off by what I've already said; (2) Don't want to leave you guys without any creative room; (3) Because I can't be bothered typing it all up; and (4) You don't have to spend hours reading a textbook;

[ February 08, 2007, 09:44: Message edited by: Rotku ]

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Just realised I forgot to post up a template for people to use to post their PCs up. Anyway, here you go - use at will, not compolsury. Feel free to post it up here or send via PM.

Galeno Chale

Player: Rotku

Race: Human
    Class: Rogue 1
    Hit Dice: 1D6 HP: 6
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 30 feet
    AC: 14
    Touch AC: 12
    Flat-Footed AC: 12
    Base Attack Bonus: +0
    Grapple: +1
    Attacks: +1 (Dagger); +3 (light xbow)
    Damage: 1d6+1

Face/Reach: 5x5, 5 ft
    Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +1d6
    Special Qualities: Trap Finding
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +1
    Abilities: Str -12, Dex -14, Con -10, Int -13, Wis -12 Cha -16
    Skills: Appraise +7; Bluff +11; Diplomacy +7; Disguise +7; Forgery +5; Gather Info +9; Hide +4; Move Silently +4; Open Lock +6; Sense Motive +5; Slight of Hand +6.
    Feats: Street Smart, Silver Palm

Languages: Common, Chondathan
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    Deity: Cyric

Equipment:
    Leather Armour 10gp
    Dagger x 10 20gp
    Forgers Kit 25 gp (Arms and Equipment Guide)
    Theives Tools 30gp
    Vest, Knife (Arms and Equipment Guide)
    Courtiers' Clothes + Needed Jewelry 80gp
    Travellers Outfit 1gp
    Peasents Outfit 1sp
    Scholar's Outfit 5gp
    Artisans Outfit 1gp
    Light Crossbow 35gp
    Bolts (10) 1gp

42gp

Appearance

History:
    Blah blah blah

(this is just an example! Not a character who will be used IG!)

3. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

A few questions:

1. You mention that we will start with 0 (Zero) gold. So can we have any equipment (Quarterstaffs, Crossbows, Armor, Clothes, camping gear, etc) to start with?

2. Languages, will you have specific languages for each land? will there be stuff like Celestial, Abyssal, etc.

3. Races, will the whole world be made only of humans, or are they elves and such?

4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ergurd (Lucius) Caelius Rutilius
    Human, 1st level Fighter
    Medium Humanoid (Human)

Hit Dice: 1d10+1 (11 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 11 (+1 Dex), touch 11, flat-footed 10
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
    Attack: Unarmed strike +3 melee (1d3+2)
    Full Attack: Unarmed strike +3 melee (1d3+2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: None
    Special Qualities: None
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 9, Cha 14
    Skills: Climb +4, Intimidate +6, Jump +4, Ride +5
    Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain)*, Force of Personality, Run*
    Alignment: Lawful evil
    *Bonus feat

Languages: Common, Sylvan
    Deity: Ordo

Equipment
    Signet ring (badly damaged)

Appearance
    Ergurd's appearance is clearly that of one who is not native to Parcus, looking like the savages from the north and the east. His hair is a strawberry blond and his eyes are blue and his skin is a pinkish hue rather then an olive one. He is a handsome youth (and clearly has been told that on numerous occasions for he thinks a great deal of his looks) who clearly has had an easily life with soft skin, absent of scars, something not expected of someone of barbaric stock. Ergurd stands 6'2" and weights 190 lbs. Ergurd wears a signet ring at all times, the be seal on the ring has been so badly damaged, one cannot tell what the symbol was of.

History
    Ergurd is none too willing to speak of his history. His last name is that of a Parcus family, which lends itself to the idea that Ergurd was adopted by a family from Parcus. He is fond of rather strange weapons, in particular spiked chains which he says he learned from a favorite gladiator of his in his youth. Ergurd also makes it clear that he was once a citizen of the Empire, but lost that status not to long ago. Ergurd claims he did nothing to provoke such actions against him, but that he fell victim to prejudice. Where ever in the Empire his problems where, he has left that region behind, seeking some sort of redemption elsewhere in the Empire.

[ March 06, 2007, 17:44: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

5. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I have a question, my character (Vernagedrix Quadrii Flavian) has spent the years between 13 and 18 living with his uncle, a sea captain and has been trained in all aspects of sailing, navving and running a ship. Can I give him some ranks in profession (sailor), knowledge (geography) and knowledge (nature) as a result of this experience; as opposed to taking some out of his first level cleric points. If so, how many ranks should I assign?

6. SaChaele Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Got a quation as well, is rapier an acceptable weapon? Or is there some alternative except the short sword?

And one more, I want her to know constellaitions and stars, does that belong into knowledge of nature or geography?

7. Rotku

That's fine DarkStrider - I'll trust your judgement.

SaChaele, they both make sense. Go with what ever you prefer and I'll play along :)

[Edit]Missed your questions, sorry Maurolava!
    (1) You can start with what ever you wish. The only reason I said 0 gold is that it really won't make a difference, what you start with. I won't go into too much detail, as that would be silly, but I will say don't put too much effort into it. At most, perhaps work on your PCs clothes.

(2) Languages. The common language spoken is... well, Common - the language of Parcus. It's the legal language, and you won't find anyone near the centre of the empire speaking anything else, as it's really looked down upon. Out in the provinces, there are as many languages as there are different cultures and tribes.

Anyway, as I said to SaChaele, you decide and we'll play along :)

(3) Only humans, I'm afraid.

[ February 10, 2007, 09:46: Message edited by: Rotku ]

8. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Frater Josan

Player:
    DarkStrider

Class: Cleric 1
    Hit Dice: 1D8 HP: 9
    Initiative: +1
    AC: 15
    Touch AC: 11
    Flat-Footed AC: 14
    Grapple: +1
    Attacks: +1 (Flail): Range +1 (sling)
    Damage: 1d8+1; 1d4+1

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +4
    Abilities: Str -12, Dex -12, Con -13, Int -12, Wis -15 Cha -8
    Skills: Concentration +4, Heal +2, Knowledge (Religion) +3, Knowledge (Planes) +3, Spellcraft +4.
    Skills from experience: Knowledge (Geography) +5, Knowledge (Nature) +5, Profession (Sailor) +5
    Feats: Combat casting, Spell Penetration
    Domains: Travel, Water.

Languages: Common, Celestial, Infernal
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Deity: Traba

Equipment:
    Leather Armour
    Flail
    Cleric’s vestments
    Sling + 100 bullets
    Silver Holy Symbol
    Heavy Warhorse (from family)
    Military Saddle (from family)
    Noble’s Outfit (from Original clothes)

11gp

Appearance:
    6 Foot tall, 195 lbs, visibly muscled, dark-haired, tanned, Blue Eyes

History:
    He was born Vernagedrix fourth of Flavius (Vernagedrix Quadrii Flavian) known as Gedrix to most people or Vern to his very close friends, he has three older brothers, a twin sister and a younger sister. They were obviously from healthy stock as they all survived to adulthood. During his formative years he stayed with his father’s brother a renowned Sea Captain and trader, whereupon he gained some skills as a sailor. Upon returning home at the age of 19 he found to his dismay both sisters in political, loveless marriages. His eldest brother is in training to take over from their father in the senate, his next brother is taking the family businesses and the other is rising in the ranks of the Praetorian’s the elite units of the army. It was decided finally after much arguments that he should go into the priesthood, however much to his family’s dismay rather than having a nice bought position within Gaia’s, he chose Traba as his patron and is moving to the provinces to make his own way. He has taken the name Josan and the simple title of Frater.

9. Rotku

Looks good, Darkstrider :)

How are the other characters going? Much progress?

10. Maurolava

Rotku, I send you the character via PM for approval

[ February 11, 2007, 21:41: Message edited by: Maurolava ]

11. Rotku

That looks great! I love the NWN portrait ;)
    Should really be able to make the character work in the story though. Will be fun *grins*

[Edit]

At a quick count, we have:
    • Ergurd - Fighter (Ilmater's Suffering)
    • Frater Josan - Cleric (DarkStrider)
    • Xanven - Sorcerer (Maurolava)
    • Zarthan - Barberian (Atmer)
    • Unnamed - Rogue (SaChaele)
    We'll begin in two days time, or once the last character is ready! What ever comes first :)

[ February 12, 2007, 01:27: Message edited by: Rotku ]

12. Maurolava

Xanven

Player : Maurolava

Race : Human
    Class: Sorcerer 1
    Hit Dice: 1D4 HP: 7 [includes toughness x1]
    AC: 12
    Flat-Footed AC: 10
    Grapple: 0
    Attack: +0 (handheld), +0 (unarmed), +2 (missile)

• Quarterstaff [1d6/1d6, critical x2, two-handed, bludgeoning]
    • Light Crossbow [1d8, critical 19-20/x2, range 80 ft., piercing]
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +2
    Abilities: Str - 10, Dex - 14, Con - 10, Int - 14, Wis – 10, Cha - 15
    Skills: Concentration +4, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Spellcraft +4, Knowledge (nature) +2, Swim +1, Use Magic Device +1
    Feats: Toughness, Combat Casting, Simple Weapon Proficiency
    Languages: Common, (Celestial, Draconic, Infernal¹)
    Spells:
    Zero-level Sorcerer spells: 5 per day
    • Light
    • Ray of Frost
    • Read Magic
    • Resistance
    First-level Sorcerer spells: 4 (3+1) per day
    • Mage Armor
    • Summon Monster I
    Familiar: Raven²
    Alignment: True Neutral³
    Deity: Unknown, (Possibly Alieno)

Equipment:

Weapons (from above)
    Crossbow bolts (quiver of 10) x5
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Ink pen
    Parchment sheets x1
    Pouch x1
    Rations (1 day) x1
    Signet ring (with god symbol)
    Water-skin x1
    Holly and mistletoe
    Spell component pouch

Total : 28 lb

0gp

Appearance:

Xaven is about 6' 0" tall; around 190 lb. Tan skin and his hair black, curly and has a light beard. He has gray eyes but unfortunately colorblind. For the most part, he is being lucky, regardless of his loss of memory. He is very self-sufficient

History:

Xanven's cannot remember any details about his birth or his past, because he has loss all memory. He does not know who he is or where he came from. Aside from some adventuring gear, he has is a book with an unknown language. Until now the only think that he has being able to study from the book is a name, which he has taken to his own and a single sentence.

To know is to follow – Alieno

13. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Zarthan Cahull

Player: Atmer

Class: Barbarian 1
    Hit Dice: 1D12 + 3 HP: 15
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 40 feet Light/Medium Armour
    30 feet Heavy Armour
    Flat-Footed AC: 12
    Base Attack Bonus: +3
    Grapple: +3
    Attacks: +3
    Damage: 1d6+2

Face/Reach: 5x5, 5 ft
    Special Attacks: none
    Special Qualities: Rage (1/day)
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +0, Will +1
    Abilities:¹ Str -14, Dex -11, Con -16, Int -10, Wis -12 Cha -8
    Skills: Survival – 4 (+1), Intimidation – 4 (-1), Listen – 4 (+3), Climbing – 4 (+2), Jumping – 4 (+2)
    Feats: Alertiness, Improved Initiative

Languages: Common, Graick (A most uncommon language, spoken only in his homeland area)
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Deity: Gaia

Equipment:
    Leather Armour 10gp
    Staff 0gp
    Travellers Outfit 1gp

5gp

Appearance:
    6 Foot tall, 223 lbs, Big-boned, muscled, dark-haired, white skin, black eyes

History:

Zarthan was the only child of Torzul, the teller, and Socee. His mother was a big-boned woman with large shoulders and a stocky body. She had an average height around 170 cm; she was a very healthy and strong woman. His father was a tall man with a long thick black hair; he was very well accounted in the tribe for his great ability as a storyteller. He always took great pleasure at this and would spend many hours in front of a fire scaring the children with stories of legendary monsters or warming up cold nights with tales of great heroes and Gods. His favorite tale used to cause bursts of laughs and dwell with how he managed to survive the process of conquering Socee, she would also take part on this act by punching her husband every single time he spoke one of the many indelicacies of the tale.

They tried many times to have a child and Socee got pregnant many times but the lads never managed to survive beyond their first birthday. Zarthan was the first and only to have crossed that mark. His crying ability, especially in the most inconvenient moments, earned him his name. Zarthan stands for killjoy, his father gave him that name, not without many complains from Socee, but eventually she also grew tired of his constant crying and came to agreement that the name was well earned.

Zarthan is shorter than his father and taller than his mother something around 180 cm. He has his father’s hair and eyes, both deep black. He is also a large man with heavy boned face just like his mother were. His personality was very akin of his father. His mother was a serious woman extremely responsible and non-indulgent, she was also caring and used to worry a lot about her son’s health and her husband’s too, although she wouldn’t ever admit. His father was a light-hearted man of good nature who was always smiling and enjoying himself, he would usually be called to act as a pacifier when cases of rivalry and attrition appeared among the tribe’s folk.

When Zarthan was at age 14 he lost his mother in an avalanche. A couple of years later his father was attacked by a huge Bear and barely survived the encounter. There he lost an eye and a big chunk of his left leg, which left him unable to walk without the help of a walk stick. This had a huge effect on him for he was a proud man and many recall him saying many times that, He’d prefer to have died there to have became an useless bag of ****. Nevertheless, he survived and was still much well liked, he continued to tell stories, though some resent the fact that his stories became darker reflecting the change in his soul.

Zarthan grew and when he was 16 he fell in love for the first time her name was Diedre and she was the daughter of a hunt companion of his father. She was a year younger than him. They flirted for a while and everything seemed good until the day he saw her nested between the huge arms of an older man, aged enough to be her father. He was a great warrior with many scars throughout his body standing as proof of the many perils he had to face in his life. Zarthan was full of jealous by this and promised himself never to trust a woman again. Of course that didn’t last very long.

When he reached 18, he fell in love again this time the target of his gaze was the younger daughter of the tribe chief. Her name was Alana. She was beautiful, a pearl in a sea of harshness, only 14 of age and she had already been promised to a son of a rival tribe. Their marriage would be the seal of a peace treaty, hard fought among the tribe chiefs. He knew his heart had chosen poorly and he tried as hard as he could, which was not much, to avoid his feelings. She noticed his interest, and for some reason corresponded to it. She didn’t find him attractive but she liked his youth and joy, and also she resented not been able to choose her own destiny and thought that flirting with him was a good way to annoy her father. She was too young and didn’t realize how dire the consequences of their actions would be.

She was supposed to marry in the summer, but during the spring their affair became serious and they began to make plans to run away and live happily ever after. Being young and reckless, as they were, didn’t do much to hide their feelings and their plans were eventually discovered.

Aghastar was a tribe chief, just like his father before him. He was a pride man who rose from strength to strength. When he first heard of his daughter affair he was so furious that the walls trembled before his anger. He condemned both younglings to death. Zarthan had to stand there and watch as his beloved one faced the cold touch of the axe. Her head was cut off, right in front of him. He felt his courage escape from him through his legs, he almost fell to the ground but somehow managed to overcome this last shame. But before he could face the same fate of Alana, his father appeared among the crowd. He spoke to the chief and called upon old rules and traditions claiming his right to take his son’s place.

Zarthan tried to argue against his father decision but the sight of death, a cold hopeless death, striped him off of his courage, his pride and dignity. Aghastar complained and refused it, the death of an old half-blind man was not enough to appease his thirsty for blood, but in the end he accepted even if against his will. Tradition was something that even him didn’t dare to confront. Zarthan faced the eyes of his father, dark as the night that surrounded them, gazing upon him; they were pitying him. He felt something die inside of him as he saw his father soul leaving his headless body.

Aghastar ordered his clothes to be taken away. His hair was cut short and his beard was shaved so just that gashes were made on his face and blood drifted through his chin and chest. Aghastar marked his arm with hot iron so other tribes would know what he was. He was an exiled, left without honor. He walked the land without ever finding a home and kept his hair and beard short for he knew what he had became. He grew bitter and never allowed himself getting too close to anyone. He couldn’t trust anyone, but mostly he couldn’t trust himself.

14. SaChaele Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Wasn't sure about the languages so they are not included yet. If I understand it correctly it's ok, to use the names of Roman provinces from the map, yes?

The real history, the more detailed one that actually says something, I'll send via PM, it needs a bit of editing still.

So here goes, I hope it's alright.

Lucia Arria Livilla going by Ladyra

Player: SaChaele

Class: Rogue 1
    Hit Dice: 1D6 HP: 6
    Flat-Footed AC: 10
    Grapple: 0
    Attacks: +2 (Dagger or Rapier - Weapon Finesse); +2 (short bow)
    Damage: 1d4+2 or 1d6+2; 1d6+2

Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +1d6
    Special Qualities: Trap Finding
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +0
    Abilities: Str -10, Dex -14, Con -11, Int -14, Wis -10 Cha -14
    Skills: Climb +2; Craft (Sewing) +4; Decipher Script +6; Diplomacy +6; Disguise +8; Forgery +8; Hide +6; (cc) Knowledge (Geography) +3; Knowledge (local) +6; Move Silently +6; Open lock +6; (cc) Ride +3; Sleight of Hand +3; Tumble +3; Swim +2.
    Feats: Deceitful, Weapon Finesse

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Deity: Gaudium

Equipment:
    Leather Armour
    Dagger
    Rapier
    Forgers Kit
    Theives Tools
    Travelers Robes
    Shortbow
    Arrows (30)
    Flute
    Limping Gelding (conveniently stolen)
    Henna Leaves

7gp

Appearance
    5'5'' tall she's sure not to tower ower anybody, but she's content with that. What she's not quite so satisfied with, is a white lock in her otherwise black hair. A distinguishing feature that she could do without and often does. The nice green leaves called Henna by some of the trades allow her to make sure of that. Her eyes are green, sometimes projecting innocent naivety and sometimes… not. Ladyra worked for qute a time to make her appearance into a fine weapon, used either for fun or when necessary.

At the moment she's travelling as an entertainer from some forgotten province that nobody, oh so conveniently, never heard about. Wearing leather pants, white linen shirt over it a red vest and the whole bizzare ensemble was crowned by a green headband she was quite a sight. Especially to the poor people of Parcus.

History
    The past of Lucia Arria Livilla is one uninteresting topic of conversation, at least when she is the one telling it. Growing up in Parcus, moving to "countryside", home tutored. Her prospective husband never showed up, the lady says in a strange tone indicating that he must have been qute a fool then. The place she lived in is strangely never named, but nobody seems to notice.

On the other hand, Ladyra, the strange woman with a sharp sword at her waist and unfamiliar accent, will tell similar and yet a vastly different tale. Just not to anybody.

15. Rotku

Okay! That's done! They all look great - a lot of thought put into them. Hope it proves to be fun.

One VERY small point before I go on. Atmer, the speed with Heavy Armour would be 20 and with Medium armour would be 30.

Anyhow, onwards we go. We'll keep this thread as an OOC thread, for any questions or anything.

I'll explain how combat works in some detail when we come to it, otherwise treat this as a normal Forum Roleplay thingy. I'll roll skill checks and the likes behind the scenes here - if you want to use a particular skill or spell or something, just include a small OOC note at the bottom of the post, so I know for sure. Feel free to move around minor characters (to a certain extent) - for example, there's nothign wrong with you going to buy a drink at the local pub and acting out the tavern waitress bringing the drink over to your table.

Just a note to anyone else who is reading this, there's sitll room for one more character! Never to late to begin!

IC Thread

[ February 12, 2007, 10:06: Message edited by: Rotku ]

16. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Okay, Ergurd is functionally up and running. He'll be getting his family name and chosen name shortly. I am just waiting for a friend to send my a bit of information on Roman names (he's a classics major). Ergurd will also be getting a Roman first name that he no longer uses.

17. Rotku

A slightly unorthodox start, sorry, but I have my reasons. And I don't like the "You all meet in an inn" start - always bores me.

[ February 15, 2007, 01:51: Message edited by: Rotku ]

18. Rotku

Sorry guys! Compeltely (and unexpectidly) lost internet connection for half a week or so. Will try and catch up tomorrow!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.