1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A country that does the right thing, finally.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Liriodelagua, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No, I was probing for an explanation; which you provided. Yet more "they're not doing it right", which then goes to disturbed morals, which goes to being improper teachers. If all you're going to base your argument on is "That's not right", then we can never see eye to eye.
    People for whom reproduction through sex is not even an option. With reproduction out of the picture, there's no other purpose for it than pleasure. And you needn't attack me.

Oh, for the record, I believe pleasure was added to reproduction to make it a desirable activity. Therefore the reproductive organs provide easy access to stimulatable flesh. For those who cannot procreate, it is a sensitive area and nothing more. If you've got a problem that they're using it for something other than "what God intended", that's a moral stance, not a scientific one.
    I was still talking about the "barging in" issue. It'd be effectively removed if there was no sex anywhere near the children. Of course, segregating the genders probably wouldn't work quite so well now with homosexuality in the mix, but it worked well enough when it wasn't in the picture yet. Just ignore my wild ruminations. ;)
    De-regulation.
    Of course it doesn't, because they're both dads. Dad and Mom, Pa and Ma, Sir and Mum, Mr. and Mrs.; these are all gender-specific words. Household tasks would be shared fairly, just as with any hetero couple.
    Hoo boy, I can see another "Is oral really sex?" thread coming on. ;)

Here's a modified version of one of Saber's questions:
    Should hetero couples with fertility problems seek help reproducing, or simply accept it as God's will that they not have children? (Just curious.)

I agree that much too many people seek out sex only for pleasure though. There are other, simpler ways to set aside the urge if it's really that bad.

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Reading so far, and a question posed towards anti-homosexuals: Do gay people love any less than heterosexuals?

I think not. They are human. Humans can all love. Just because they love different people or things doesn't mean that they can't love.

In adoption, it is about love. People have children, or adopt children, because they want that child to be loved. We are arguing about gay people adopting children, but I don't see how a gay person's love is any different than a straight person's love.

I know a very nice girl, who I am friends with (even though I haven't seen her in a while), who has two mothers. She is not screwed up, and her parents haven't messed up the upbringing (wc?) of her. We cannot say that homosexual people make worse parents, because they simply don't. I'm sure there are some that are bad, but then again, there are plenty of heterosexual parents that suck as well.

I'd have to say I'm with Fel on this matter.

3. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

And many of those people who have hobbies and talk also have sex without the intent to produce offspring. It doesn't mean they're slaves to their drives. It doesn't mean they're drooling bunnyrabits.

Does it have to be about trying? Or rather, if due to some medical condition one believes they can't have children, and sees no point in trying to, should they become celibate?

That's only with the view that sex has to result in procreation. With the view that it's about love and giving and receiving pleasure, it's not pretention of any kind.

No need to get all huffy and puffy, I've done no such thing.

If gay adoption means supporting their illusion of being able to have children and a normal family...What is regular adoption, if not supporting some infertile couple's illusion of being able to have children and a normal family?

They were mine. Mine mine mine! :smash: :D

4. Saber

:D I think I asked them in another forum about gay marriage. Of course, we do agree on alot of things, so they could be yours, and Fel is just giving me credit. :D

5. Felinoid

Sorry, my bad; it was Susi's question. :doh:

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've been away and I couldn't reply to this earlier...

No, I'm not against adoption in general, and I don't really know where you got that idea from. Centering on a single point in my entire post made you miss the big picture. Procreating is just one bonus, which doesn't necessarily have to come from the same couple who raises the child. There are plenty of irresponsible people or young couples having children who later decide that they don't want them, or can't afford them, or some other reason why they want someone else to take care of their child. And there are also cases where a child loses his or her parents in an accident or due to some other reason, so someone else simply has to take care of the child.

As for continuing the family line; adopted children take the surname of the family that adopts them, so while they don't continue the family line in the genetic sense, they can and do so in every other sense.

Well, the 4 gays that I know definitely play either a male or female role... and pretty much every other gay couple that I know does as well.

Well, you're not getting an argument from me there... if the only other option is an orphanage or the street, then any alternative is preferrable, even if purely from the material viewpoint. However, orphanages have been shut down in all but the most backwards or poorest of countries decades ago, and the street should never really be an "option" at all.

This really amusing argument inevitably pops up in every debate of this kind. The problem is that every person's perception of another person can be either completely correct, somewhat correct, or completely false. Unless you live with them, you don't really have any idea what truly goes on behind four walls - you see the projected exterior, which has nothing to do with the actual state of family affairs in a large number of cases.

Even more absurd is the notion of knowing the mental state of someone raised by gay parents just because they appear fine on the outside. Sorry, but even people themselves are as often as not confused about their own mental/psychic state and have issues they can't resolve themselves, so the only people who'd be qualified to give an evaluation of such children would be psychologists, after some detailed examinations... and I'd be immensely interested in reading any research done in this area (not sponsored by any gay interests groups).

It's a funny proof how often people can be completely mistaken about someone when newspapers are interviewing the neighbours of people who commit some heinous crimes - the evaluations are all usually along the lines of "I can't believe he/she did it - he/she is such a sweet/gentle/calm person - we didn't have a clue he/she was be capable of abusing/murdering/raping/beating someone etc." Appearances can be deceiving with people more than with any other creature on earth.

Oh, and I thoroughly agree that a large number of heterosexual parents do a horrible job at parenting, but that's another issue entirely... and doesn't in any way automatically mean that since gay people are different, they'll by default make better parents. Actually, going by the philosophy that gay parents are no worse than straight parents, it means that they're not likely to be any better either - with the added handicap of being gay, which is a strong influence that will extend over their children - for better or for worse. In my opinion, "for worse" is much more likely.

7. Susipaisti

With any kind of penetration one could always say the one receiving is playing a female role. Specifically I was referring to lesbians, of whom many don't use any fallic devices.

However with two males, playing the "female role" doesn't necessarily mean anything more than doing something to the other guy's genitals, and it doesn't necessarily go beyond the bedroom. I think the horror scenario of a kid having a male dad and a she-male mom isn't as likely as some make it out to be.

Never mind, I'm just a sucker for credit. :D

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I meant the classic dominant vs. submissive partner roles, not specifically referring to sex. Higher vs. lower voice pitch, more/less feminine clothes, soothing vs. argumentative nature, etc. Though naturally it all extends into sexual relationships as well.

9. Susipaisti

Well then, how about straight couples where the woman is the dominant one - the louder, the more confrontational, the more decisive one? Are they mixing gender roles, pretending to be something they aren't, are they confusing the poor child?

If with a male couple one of them is more dominant than the other, unless the other calls his male friends "girlfriend" and walks like Peggy Bundy, I don't see what the fuss about gender roles is about.

10. Saber

Tal, I do see your point about not knowing the person fully, and I would have to change my mind and agree (only with that part, I am still on Fel and Susi's side overall, but I do see your point).

A few things, though:
    So then it only appears those 4 people change gender roles, according to your second statement. Unless, of course, you live with all four. Perhaps they don't act the opposite gender when they are alone, and would, in fact, not confuse the child, if they were to have one.

And why are we even debating about gender roles? Don't we want people to break from gender roles, so that they aren't constricted to being a stereotype? I certainly am not a stereotypical male, so isn't that good? Just because one of the gay males doesn't act like a male doesn't make it a bad relationship, or make him a bad person.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Yes, and we all know about those. And we also all know that they are merely exceptions that confirm the rule. And they certainly do more harm than good to children, but at least they're not actually switching genders. Even a loud, confrontational and decisive woman is still a woman.

Well, certainly, I could be wrong... but I'm basing my observations on clearly evident external signs, like voice pitch, conversation characteristics, clothes style... I've never had the need to openly ask any of them "who's the man and who's the woman", because it was clearly obvious to me and everyone else who knows them. It doesn't take THAT much observation to determine gender roles. Everything else is another matter, however. As for playing a different gender role in public than at home, I'd have a hard time believing that. They're people, after all, not actors 24/7.

There's nothing wrong with some gender roles - some of them are more ingrained in women and some of them in men through sheer genetics (and tradition, admittedly - but it's the same for men). Same goes for certain physical characteristics. But that doesn't mean that there's something wrong with them by default. Unfair division of labour or time spent on it between partners, for example, is certainly wrong. But that's about it. For example, just because mothers traditionally take care of children more than fathers do doesn't mean that there's something horribly wrong with the concept and that it should be remade from scratch.

No one has to consider themselves a stereotype but people who aren't happy with their lives as they are, or people who think that they are being treated unfairly by their partners or society in general. And as far as partners are concerned, it's totally up to them who they end up living with. Blaming society for their choice of partner is more than a bit of a stretch. There are plenty of men around who don't mind doing some work that is traditionally considered female... and there are also plenty of women around who don't mind doing some work that is traditionally considered to be in men's domain. If you end up living with someone who doesn't share your viewpoint on household labour division you can blame no one but yourself. Anyway, I'm getting off topic here.

Still, breaking from certain stereotypes is one thing; involuntarily throwing children into a gay relationship (which can be every bit as stereotypical as regular relationships, if not more) is a way too radical "breaking from stereotypes". And again, it's being done by pushing children with no say into it.

12. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

How the picture of the stereotypical submissive, sensitive, emotional and quiet - in short: proper woman, as opposed to the loud, confrontational and decisive man, do find their ready uses to argue against the behaviour of homosexuals. Women with this supposedly dominant (male) kind of behaviour are apparently women "we all know about". Fortunately they are exceptions that confirm the rule.

There goes the myth of the woman and her successful emancipation from man.

Should I wonder that those same (antiquated?) gender roles, officially shunned, are now brought up to discredit homosexuals. "They dont behave in accordance with their gender." Would anyone here care to say that to a woman's face? I daresay no.

Seems like them women and homosexuals alike still have to struggle with a lot of stereotypes in the future. Unexpected as that may be...

I would really like to know what women think of all this. So far only men (surprise, surprise ;) ) gave their opinion on what is right and wrong.

13. Susipaisti

I'm disappointed.

So there's a preconceived mold that a woman has to fit, a predetermined idea of what is "proper" behavior for their gender, a set place in the family hierarchy? If the man is not the head of the household, the child is harmed?

Bring on the burkhas.

And how is a loud, confrontational and decisive woman still a woman and not actually switching genders, if a gay man with the opposite qualities *is* playing a female role and attempting to be a woman?

[ December 29, 2005, 21:46: Message edited by: Susipaisti ]

14. Felinoid

Really? :confused: Because you're the one who put the idea forth in the first place...
    /me accidentally summons Obviousman
    "So basically, other people can be wrong but you're sure you aren't? :skeptic: Also, you didn't address whether or not you think children would be harmed by 'non-typical' hetero couple."

Hey! Bad lame-superhero premise; go sit in the corner. (That pest just keeps popping up at the worst times, I tell ya.) :roll: But I'm afraid he does have a point.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    There's just one problem with that philosophy - there are millions of stay-at-home mothers who are quite happy and content with taking care of their children and home. So are they relics from a forgotten era? Misguided? Non-emancipated? Or could it be possible that they're perfectly happy with the role of a caring mother and wife? The gender role of a stay-at-home mother/wife is "officially shunned" only by feminists. Who also happen to be shunned by many females... trust me, most of my female colleagues at the uni are just as annoyed with the constant feminism seeping from one of our sociology professors as most of the men are. Because in most of the western world, the need for feminism has been gone for some time now.

Anyway, I'm certainly not "discrediting" homosexuals, so I'm not sure what your point is.

This zooming in on single statements without taking the context into account is really not getting you (or anyone else) anywhere. I based that particular statement on personal experience with a couple of children that I've known growing up who had forceful mothers. Without analyzing their life thus far too much, they have problems directly resulting from that, most obvious being the choice of girlfriends, which are invariably replicas of their mothers in behaviour, continually bossing them around...

I thought it was obvious that she's still of the female gender...

You've misread. I specifically mention a gender role in that quote, while I was talking about general roleplay having nothing specifically to do with the gender in the post you're probably thinking of.

I'm sure I'm not wrong about what? Huh?

And where didn't I address whether or not I think children would be harmed by a 'non-typical' hetero couple? :hmm:

16. Felinoid

Now you're the one who's misread. ;) The second quote was from a post of yours on the previous page; the two together (I would have thought the elipses would tip you off) seem quite contradictory. To prevent any further confusion, I'll try to lay it out as simply as I can. The first quote says that you don't think the 4 you know act different at home than in public. The second (earlier) quote says that nobody can know how they act at home based only on how they act in public, and even that frequently it's a far different story.

So what makes you think you're not being fooled too? Noone has more need to act than a minority so despised as the gay community.
    :lol: That's a good one. There's no real answer to a question like that; it's like asking where I'm not standing (I'm sitting, BTW). But where you should have addressed it is in your post at the top of the page, between the lengthy (second to last) paragraph saying that what roles and duties a couple work out is fine (even 'non-typical' ones), and the next rather short one which referred back to your main point that a child would be damaged if it were raised with a gay couple.

17. Saber

But if he is raising the child in the same way as the voluntary stay-at-home mom (who you have no problem with), why does it matter?

18. Susipaisti

Maybe this "loud, confrontational woman" -thing is going a little off track. I listed those qualities based on your previous post about gender roles, to represent "male-like" qualities. The issue was not so much about being raised by Norman Bates' mother, but by a couple that doesn't fit the (stereo)typical image of how men and women "should" be. Namely, a woman who could be considered "manly" and a man who's "feminine" - in terms of traditional family hierarchy at least.

While a dominant mother can result in the son getting a dominant girlfriend that pushes him around, this too has a flipside: a submissive mother can result in the son seeking a submissive girlfriend that he can push around.

Again, the "dominant mother" didn't refer to dominating the child; rather being the dominant member of the family as opposed to the father. If there is a dominant parent, I don't see why it would make a difference which one it is, or how one would be better than the other. I don't see how it is good at all for the child to see and learn that one gender lords over the other - that it's the "role" of a man to be the head of the household, and seeing a man who isn't would somehow be harmful.

And so is the gay man still of the male gender. Why the statement that "at least she's not actually switching genders?" Are gay men transsexuals now?

Of course it's possible, it's even likely. The problem is not that stay-at-home mothers exist. If they want to, that's what they should do and they have every right to. The problem is pushing that role on as the standard that has to be lived by, implying that those who don't are bad mothers or bad people. This still happens a lot.

[ December 30, 2005, 14:10: Message edited by: Susipaisti ]

19. Taluntain

Media:
    No, you're mixing apples and oranges... those two comments really don't have any connection. You've taken one of my previous replies completely out of context and attempted to apply it to something else entirely. Come on. If you start playing like that you can find contradictions in 5 posts from anyone. Which is exactly why you shouldn't be taking things out of context. Artifically meshing together replies from different posts to different issues to suit your purpose is a really cheap shot.

What possible reason could a few publicly-proclaimed gays I've known for years have to act out gender roles in public differently than at home? If anything, they wouldn't be acting gay at all in public if they feared any repercussions coming from it.

Should have addressed it in response to what? Seriously, I haven't a clue what you're going on about... If you want to ask me something specific, just do it, without vaguely referring to something a page back that I have no clue where or to whom I should have answered.

It matters because of a whole number of differences between homosexual and heterosexual couples and individual partners that we've already discussed at length in this thread and I really don't think I need to list all over again. But the bottom line is, two men (or two women) simply can't raise a child in the same way and as well as a woman and a man could.

Certainly... but you're discussing extremes again. In a normal family neither the father nor the mother come out too dominant; ideally they should complement each other.

You're taking this way too dramatically. There is no need for any one gender to lord over the other at all. It's just that traditionally the mother and father play different roles in the family, but they complement each other. The fact that the playing of different gender roles comes up frequently with gays should tell you that like it or not, gender roles are something that comes naturally to us. Either because of genetics, or because of tradition or custom, or simply out of choice or necessity. Or all of it together. Regardless of the reason, it does happen, and you can see it all over the world. So arguing against it has little bearing on what actually happens in reality.

I was talking about gay men who play the role of a woman in a gay relationship.

Well, that has been the standard throughout human history, which I'm sure you realize. And I think it's worked out pretty well thus far. As for implications that those who don't live by it are bad people - well, I'm not doing that. Just as I have no problems with gays at all when it comes to any other issue concerning them that depends solely on their own rights, centering on themselves. I just happen to disagree that the privilege to adopt children conceived in heterosexual unions falls under the category of homosexual personal rights. As I said before, adoption always has been and always will be a privilege. Even a large number of heterosexual couples can't adopt children because they don't meet some of the criteria.

20. Felinoid

Okay Tal, you're just not getting it. The quotes weren't an attempt at a shot at you; I just wanted you to clear up what seemed (to me) to be a contradiction. Which you still haven't done, aside from a cliche which makes no sense without explanation. And quoting an entire paragraph is hardly taking it out of context.

That's just it: you don't know! You can't possibly know what reasons they might have for faking their public identity. They might think you'd react badly if they acted as "butch" as they do at home, and only act like sissies to fit what they think is your stereotype of gay people.

Oy. I'm saying you should have addressed it by your own implication. I suppose you could say that you yourself are the one who asked it by the sudden jump between 'non-typical' hetero couples being okay and gay couples damaging a child. One reads that and wonders what the connection is, and...

But if you're determined, I'll ask you straight out, instead of the roundabout method that I tried before. Do you think a child would be damaged by being raised by a 'non-typical' (aggressive mother and submissive father) hetero couple?

Come to think of it, HTF did we get onto this subject in a thread about gay marriage in the UK? Are they permitting them adoption rights too?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.