1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Human Being

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Morgoth, Jan 2, 2003.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Ambition helps to make someone unique - different people push themselves to excel in different things - they become interested in things and whether or not they push themselves to do the best they can.

2. Fhirn the Elven Archer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I must agree that memory is important in making us "unique", but that cannot be all. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that two people have had exactly the same experiences and the same memory. Then what happens if one is very intelligent and one is fairly slow, or one is a saddist one is very kind. Say one was made into a very mean person by these experiences while the other became softened and oversensitive.
    What I meant by factors was actually genes. There is an enourmous number of possible combinations of genes that largely affects who we are. Each "factor", as I put it, describes a certain part of us or characteristic (allergy, liking, capability of some things, liking or disliking of some things). OK, so its possible that even though there is such an extremely large number of combinations, its still possible for two to get the same. By coincidence. Even if that does occur (it would be like 10000000d4 in which each dice would be the same - d#1 same in both people, d#2 same in both people, and so on - making it near impossible) then society, and memory would change the individuals enough for them to become unique.

So what is it?

no, its not beer,...

its
    -Genetics (some people argue that this could be wrong, that scientists are wrong, don't believe everything the scientists say... well I believe that the scientists are closer to the truth than, say, the priest who is repeating the same bible over and over and who says that its all your soul...erm, right- I'd rather go with the scientist who are actually studying this.)
    -Social background/how he was raised - society
    -memory

All these things. Now why should why bother arguing which one is more important? They all have their role. And besides:

"It doesn't matter." I am quoting my friend. These are probably the smartest words I have ever heard.

-What would you do if you were in a situation in which bla bla bla?
    -It doesn't matter. I'll know what my reaction will be when I am in such a situation.

[ January 04, 2003, 12:26: Message edited by: Matthew G. ]

3. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Math: I thought for sure you would jump on 'the soul' bandwagon!

Now for my two cents:
    we are not as unique as we all think we are.
    (that's one cent)
    genes + experience = individual
    (there's the other cent)

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I would have to agree with 8people. No other creature makes any attempt to improve itself, whereas we are defined by that aspect of ourselves.

5. scarampella Gems: 10/31

Being human is also defined by our willingness to sacrifice our own lives for another.

6. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

"It is arrogant to assume that humans are the only intelligant organisms on the planet." Spock from Star Trek IV. ( may not have used his exact words)
    What about all the other animals who live in complex social groups?
    What about chimpanzees who use simple tools? Chimpanzees have also been shown to be able to grasp basic concepts of language, combining words to make simple sentances and problem solving.
    Elephants show suffering. When a member of the herd dies, elephants have been known to inspect the body and stay by it for days. When they come across a skeleton, they inspect, feel, smell the skeleton.
    There are two elephants at the San Diego Wild Animal Park who are "good friends" One was a real problem animal. They brought in another elephant to be with it. Long story short, the two had been in the same family group when they were very, very young. They recognized eachother some 30 years later.
    Decorator crabs will take shells, rocks and other objects from the ocean floor and place them on their shells to make themselves look different and to camoflauge themselves. They also do it to make themselves look better to potential mates. Some animals have been shown to be self aware, a trait thought to be unigue to only humans. Dolphins and chimps are two that come to mind. Being self aware would cause an animal to want to improve itself.
    And 8people, it is actually only about 1% of our DNA that makes the human species unigue. That's how much genetic difference there is between us and chimps. As for anything else that makes us unigue, is a written language. And scientists are not 100% positive on this. For the longest time, we thought that humans were the only species that had a speken language, but that it not true anymore. Lots of animals have specific sounds for specific things, experiences, etc. That's all our language is, specific sounds for specific things.
    Kinda really puts that quote from Spock in perspective, doesn't it?
    Ok, I actually thought of one more thing that makes us unigue. We are the only species on earth that is capable of wiping out every other species, including our own.

[ January 07, 2003, 07:11: Message edited by: Elios ]

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Fingerprints :D

Seriously, I think experience is the word here.

8. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] umm, a few of you are getting memory confused with self-awareness and/or consciousness.

all organisms have memory of some kind, be it neuronal or simply molecular. :square:

9. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

God, there are other animals who are self-aware as well. like I said above.

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Dolphins!!

But what is memory exactly?? It´s just a tape

11. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31

I wouldn't argue the existence of a memory, but its contents.

Think fourth dimensionally- in order for someone or something to be EXACTLY like me, and not simply very similar, it would have to have been conceived and born precisely when I was, with all of the same characteristics, down to room temperature, time of day, and most implausibly, location. Even if only a nanosecond passed, before time even became a factor, the third dimension shows contradiction. It would have to occupy the same space-time for the duration of my existence, and therefore would be indistinguishable from me. Any deviation, anything it did differently, any misstep or word spoken that wasn't mine would immediately negate any claim that it was the SAME as me. I don't see how this idea necessitates the existence of a soul. Logic dictates that a person and their clone, no matter how precise the clone is, cannot occupy the same space. Already they differ. Not greatly, I admit, but they differ.

For scientific evidence, I conducted an experiment. I threw a ball at itself and failed. Anyone who doesn't follow that, I'm truly sorry. The ball is unique.

I never meant to imply we have some great distinction that can seperate us from the animal kingdom, and in fact, i have a serious problem with people who say that the things humans do are unnatural. Detrimental to nature? Sure. But to say that humans aren't just as much a part of nature as everything else is ludicrous, and as Spock said, arrogant.

Amon-Ra

12. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, what makes us unique, you ask? Well, it's psychologically proven that our environment makes us unique. The way we were raised, the circumstances and whatnot. No one in the world will ever experience all the things that I've experienced, and vice versa.

While I do believe that we humans have souls, it's not exactly in the same context. I believe that we are the souls, you know, one and the same. Like, a person and a soul aren't two separate entities. But that's just me.

Anyways, I think I've said my two cents now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.