1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Patriotic Apathy

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Cernak, Jul 3, 2005.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The fourth is one of my favorite holidays of the year. My dad comes up from Florida for a visit. So far we have gone to the fireworks, the parade, and we spent all afternoon at the local flea market. It has been a grand olde time.

I agree with Spelly. We have far too many "professional complainers" nowadays. I think it is time to go Philip Nolan on their heinies. Sorry for the literary reference, I just always think it is appropriate when I see threads like this. :)

Edit: I found the short story here for those who wish to read it.

[ July 05, 2005, 02:27: Message edited by: The Great Snook ]

2. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

As a non-American, I want to know what the average American does during July 4. Do most go to parades, hang out with family or watch fireworks? Do a lot go to Independence Day-related activities? Most of what I know is from what I see on TV.

This is :yot: but originally the Independence Day of the Philippines was July 4. It was moved to June 12 and July 4 was made Fil-Am Friendship Day. It was due to the politics of those times.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

New Zealand's national day is 6 February. Other than going to the beach and enjoying the sun, we tend to spend the day dealing with protesters complaining about how the English treated the Maori 16o years ago. So complaining is common all over the world.

4. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Charlie -- Activities usually include parades (usually with soldiers or veterans marching), flag waving, cookouts, family gatherings and fireworks at night. Many places have a huge fireworks display. The Boston Pops has a celebration on the Charles River, where the symphony plays in an outdoor concert, then at the conclusion, the city sets off quite an incredible fireworks display over the water. It's quite beautiful.

One of the nicest fireworks displays I've ever seen was when I lived on Lake Samammish in the state of Washington. I lived in an apartment complex on the lake.....and we would go down to the dock and sit and watch the fireworks put on by Marymoor Park, which was just right across the small lake. Also all the boat owners on the lake would bring their boats down to our end of the lake (it's pitch black now) and put only their running lights on and sing the national anthem -- you could hear their voices drifting softly over the water. I still get chills when I remember that. Some boaters lit candles too. When you looked out over the lake, all you saw were tiny flickerings of light -- it was so beautiful. Then the fireworks would go off, just about right over our heads. It was something I'll never forget in this lifetime.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What's a "cookout"? Is that like a barbecue?

6. Spellbound

Yea -- grilling food outdoors -- yummy! ;)

7. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Spelly,

Sounds really great. I hope to be able to see it in person one day. As for cookouts, nobody needs to wait for a holiday to have one. Any day is a good day, unless it's raining or snowing of course. Although I have been told that wouldn't stop some people. :D

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To me, every day is important to safeguard the freedom and democracy we'd like to think we have, and it may be that a national holiday, like the 4th of July, is an excellent time to stir the pot a bit.

However, if stirring the pot is done simply by complaining from the sidelines, then, as with most, I'm with Rally on that. Freedom must be guarded or you will find you no longer have it. I see that happening every day here in the US -- loss of freedom by apathy, loss of freedom from fear, etc. (Certain parts of the "Patriot" Act are pretty scary.)

I do not think it is a bad thing to point that out on July 4, but constructively, if at all possible. The holiday is to celebrate the freedom of the people of this country (alright, at the time it was the freedom of the white, land-owning males, but still) from England. If we are handing back our freedom in bits and pieces, what better time than Independence Day to point that out and take a stand?

9. Spellbound

Because it may ruin a day of celebration for others? I'm all for differing opinions -- but I say, give it a rest on that one day -- and let people honor the country for what it is.

10. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yes, a "cookout" is a "barbecue"; the burned food is almost identical, HB.

Your memories of past celebrations are moving, Spellbound, and I could match them with my own memories, equally moving to me, but it's not 1776 anymore, in case you haven't noticed. Or is it?

"These are times that try men's souls"--Thomas Paine.

11. Spellbound

Cernak -- you totally miss my point. We're celebrating that there ever WAS a 1776. ;)

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Thank goodness that attitude was NOT present in 1776. If everyone felt that way back then, there wouldn't be a July 4th to celebrate.

13. Spellbound

Aldeth -- Take your snipes.... you know exactly what I was trying to say. :rolleyes:

And to use a rather silly analogy -- just because someone or something isn't perfect, or developed not in a way you could forsee, does that mean you shouldn't celebrate its birthday?

For pete's sake -- do your trashing every day for 364 days (or is that not enough days for you??) -- but take a hike on the 4th of July and let people ENJOY it.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Last I checked it's July 6th.

15. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I hate July 6th.

16. Spellbound

Good for you. ;) With that revelation, you should have added :yot:

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, that's enough of that. Back to the original topic, please.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.