1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AMD vs Intel

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Brallrock, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That's a great system, at a good price. I have one of the higher end Gigabyte mainboards and the onboard audio is OK, but nothing special (I think it's Realtek). I'm still considering adding an SB Audigy 4 SC (about $70.00). I have an old SB Live X-Gamer, and while it sounds different than the Realtek, I don't think it is that much better than the Realtek (more high end, but higher distortion, at least to my ears), so I left it out when I rebuilt my rig. But I'm really looking for a better sound solution; one that would be compatible with newer and older games, but doesn't cost a whole lot.

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Sounds great to me, good price too. Unlike Chandos I wouldn't bother with a dedicated sound card. I have always been fine with onboard and if it hasn't bothered you thus far, then you probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference anyway.

3. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think you be better off going with the AMD and just getting a better video card. The 7300 basically runs the same as the 6200....and same goes for whichever ATI cards are equal to those two. Their main cards(x1800, 78-900) are the better way to go because those are generally the only ones as fast as advertised.a friend of mine has a 7300 and tbh my dads 6800GT runs better.

@ chandos
    For soudncards look into the Creative Xi-Fi series. Don't know if you want it for music or for games but my cousin has one and it's amazing. Kind of expensive but still an option. Kind of hoping thats my main christmas present this year :)

@Ballrock
    You might want to upgrade your power supply if you plan on eventually using SLI. 450 will do it but it will be really hot. you can get a 550-600 watt for and extra $30-40

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Thanks for all the replies, I am still in the hunt, and I am listening to all the advice. Haven't decided on weather or not to go SLI yet, I may just opt for one good card. I will have to look into power supplys.

5. Stu Gems: 20/31

Basically Sli isn't really worth it with cheaper cards - a single higher performance card will out do it and probably be cheaper. Using two high end cards will give you a huge increase performance, but this will be essentially esoteric with todays games (as your eye won't be able to see any difference between 40 and 80 frames). Also given the rapid increase in graphic card technology it would probably end up running slower than a single similarly priced card 18 months later. Hence buying one card now and replacing it 18 months down the track (when you can no longer run all games at the highest settings) would probably be better. The final option is the one I have already mentioned whereby you get one good card now and a sli mobo. Then when you need the performance boost, say 18 months later you can buy anther card at a much cheaper price. The failing in this at the moment is the introduction of directX 10. The only cards to support this at the moment are the 8800GTS and GTX and by the time you want to get that second card and run in sli it may be that you really want to be playing directX 10 games (like Crysis).

Other down sides of Sli (in addition to the cost of the cards themselves):
    -requires a more expensive mother board
    -requires a more powerful power supply
    -produces more heat in your case, hence you may need to invest more into cooling

Because of this and the 8800 I would suggest not going with sli at the moment and instead think about getting a directX 10 card in perhaps 18 months time.

Also how urgent is the computer - after reading reviews of the 8800GTS and GTX I would perhaps advise you to hold off until say the 8600 is released. The 8800GTS beat the dual core 7950GX2 (almost as fast as two 7950's in sli) in all tests despite costing only 3/4 of the price. The margin wasn't that spectacular in the synthetic benchmarks (3Dmark05 and 06) but it positively thumped it in Half Life Lost Coast (getting almost double the number of frames) and Company of Heroes (tripling the average number of frames per second). Given this I'm expecting big things from the mid-range cards.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Make sure you buy a trusted brand, like Antec or Enermax, and don't be fooled by wattage. A cheap 500 W PSU actually will dish out probably just as much as a 350W Antec would. Antec PSUs also have two fans, and the second fan kicks in when it gets too hot in there, so it's a relatively quiet PSU. Antec also make excellent and very quiet cases. In fact, my X2 is an Antec Sonate case, and it runs so quiet I practically don't hear it at all.

7. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Next questions for the brain crew. Seeing how I have a set budget in mind, I am wondering where to spend the most money. Should I go all out on the CPU, and just good on ;the graphics, or should I go just good on the CPU, and max out the graphics card. Or should I take middle of the road with both?

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Neither. You'll most likely be upgrading them soon anyway. Get more RAM for starters. RAM prices are relatively stable, whereas the CPU and graphics card you buy today will be worth only half of what you've paid for them after 6 months.

9. Stu Gems: 20/31

Ordinarily I would say the graphics card, but with the success of the Core2 Duo and the power:prices we're currently getting I would probably go for a slightly more expensive cpu. This will all probably change with the next generation of graphics cards - as I said in my last post, the 8800 is awesome and is likely to result in a drop in current prices as well as a killer range of mid-priced cards.
    What you posted before sounded pretty damn near perfect for the price right now. The only issue I have is directX 10. There are currently no games that use it and there isn't likely to be for a while, but when they do you might just want to be playing them.
    Again how important is it that you get the comp now as opposed to say a couple of months (after ATI and nVIDIA release their mid range directX ten cards)?

10. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

This is the system I am saving my money for:

Case: Raidmax Smilodon (Way cool case IMO)
    Power Supply: Ultra 700 watt XVS
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64X2 4600
    Freebie: Age of Empires III
    Cooling: Heatsink w/ fan and 2 extra case fans
    MB: Gigabyte GA 555sli w/ (AM2) socket
    RAM: Corsair XM52 Xtreme with heatspreader 2 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT 256MB
    HD: 160 GB 7200 Rpm
    DVD r/rw and also a DVD rom
    7.1 onboard sound
    Professional wiring throughout
    Win XP home

Gand total 1242.00 plus tax.

I think I'll like it!

11. Disciple of The Watch

Looks good, Brall. The X2 will have power aplenty to deal with your tasks, and at a reasonable price.

The only thing I would switch is the power supply... the power loss caused by a cheap PSU means that your PSU will dish just as much current as a more high-end one would.

Basically, power losses will be much less significant with a higher-end power supply.

I'd swap the one in your kit for either an Antec or Enermax.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wow 2GB of RAM. Does having that much RAM make much difference to anything?

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why do you want such a huge power supply anyway? You don't have anything in there to warrant something like that: Single HD, single video board, onboard sound.

14. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I wanted a large power supply so I can do the SLI thing down the road, and so it has good upgradeability. I will also be adding my current 80 Gig HD as a slave drive.

As for the RAM, all the reading I did pointed that 2 Gig was the way to go.

@DoTW, I have no memory, and thought that Ultra was one of the power supplies that you had mentioned. I did some research and Enermax seems the way to go, and I went with a 535 Watt. Lowers the price to $1227.00. My plan is to buy something that will be upgradeable, but wont need to be for a while.

15. Disciple of The Watch

535 W should be more than enough to handle SLI.

Here is an online tool that can tell you how much wattage your comp is pumping out:

Link

16. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Allright, my tax refund is due back shortly so I am really getting down to business. I think this build sounds pretty awesome, except the video card, which I will wait to spend my money on a new DirectX 10 capable card when it gets here.

Case: RaidMax Smilodon Med-Tower 420W Case w/ Side-Panel Window
    CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
    Mainboard: (Quad-Core Supports) MSI P6N SLI-FI nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
    Memory: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)
    Video Card: NEW !!! NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 256MB PCI Express x16 Video Card
    Video Card 2: NONE
    LCD Monitor: NONE
    HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (80GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    Data Hard Drive: NONE
    Optical Drive: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    Optical Drive 2: NONE
    Sound: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
    Price: $1100.00

So what do you all think? Mind you I'll be upgrading from a P4 1.6, 1 gig PC2100 Ram, and a Geforce 5700 LE 128 MB GPU that is crippled by my 4x Motherboard.

17. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Get a bigger HD, with only a few bucks more you will get a 250 GB.

18. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I agree - 80GB is not enough for gaming. 250GB would be much better but even 120GB HD would probably be just a couple of dollars more and yield a 50 percent gain in real estate.

19. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Help me with my ignorance, if I only half fill my current 80 gig HD, how will having a bigger HD help me? Does the extra space make things run better? I thought that if you didn't fill your HD, it wouldn't slow down. Keep in mind that I will be putting my current 80 gig HD in as a slave drive, if it makes any difference.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    When an average full install of a game these days is somewhere around 5GB, and Vista probably not taking much less, buying a drive smaller than 250GB is just not a good investment for the future. Even if you don't need it right now, you almost certainly will in a few years. OS and game installs are only going to get bigger.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.