1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

American scientists agree with me

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I might just be being a big girl's blouse here, but I don't think I'd like to be hit by either a cricket ball, baseball ball, OR a softball ball because I reckon they all hurt.

And before anyone starts putting down softball, I'd just like to say that the New Zealand Black Sox are currently the World Softball Champions. And softball is mostly played by the same tough Pacific Island families that play rugby league so I wouldn't mess with any of them and start calling them girls.

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Harbourboy - Hey! We agreed that this was MY week to be the big girls blouse! You're supposed to be the fat mans pants!

On the popularity of soccer (for the sake of clarity), I think the person who posted that all you need is a ball really hit on it. As it really requires very little equipment (it can be played with a ball of rags) it can be played practically anywhere by even the poorest people. And it is quite fun to play. Especially in small groups.

It's popularity is not surprising.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Jack, that makes sense (plus the fact that everyone can participate at once - unlike cricket or baseball where 90% of players are standing around waiting), although it doesn't explain why soccer is so comparatively unpopular in countries like Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and USA. In theory, due to the lack of equipment required, it should be just as popular there too.

4. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Hey Barmy...are you sure these aren't the "Intelligent Design" scientists? :p

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Tell me what they are and I'll let you know

6. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Football is exciting and fun to watch and everything, but I enjoy and respect a lot more sports which require a superior level of physical prowess and athletic power, because that is what sports are all about.

7. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Being hit with a baseball or softball doesn't really hurt that much...just gotta learn where it hurts and where it doesn't.

I catch and pitch for baseball, and also catch for the chick thats #1 pitcher in our state during practice. She throws in the area of 100 MPH, and tbh unless it hits you in the nuts or neck it doesnt hurt all that bad..same for baseball...rib shots hurt a little bit more with them because of the small size.

as for most exciting sport I would say American Football for me. It's fun to play , and fun to watch, where as for me baseball is fun to play boring to watch and basketball...well i just dont like basketball. Soccer is fun to play but I cannot watch it.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:rolleyes: When I was in high school I used to play baseball and as a pitcher I can say that getting hit by a line drive from a hard ball hurts plenty.

To this day I still wince at the memory of one line drive that I took straight to the gut - I had an absolutely hideous looking circular bruise for a couple weeks after that one. I don't want to even think about what would have happened if the guy had hit it back at me a little bit higher (or lower for that matter).

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I don't really want to get hit with any kind of ball.

In cricket, fielders don't wear catching gloves - when the ball is hit to you at a million miles an hour, you know it's gonna hurt if you catch it, and even more if you misfield.

10. Harbourboy

Good point Tassadar. Collecting the cricket ball anywhere other than the middle of your hands will cause a lot more pain (whatever you do, don't get hit on the end of your fingers).

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    And don't even mention standing the slip cordon or even worse... silly point! Sod that for a game of marbles.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.