1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arrogant? Racist? Normal??

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Faraaz, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

So I guess you speak for the American people too.

The 9/11 attacks were arguably different from most coups/terrorist acts since America doesn't have a history of being attacked on its own soil, so something like 9/11 is bound to have repercussions on the globe when the US is (or was) a global superpower. Also, I recall a fairly recent study that suggested that people in the Middle East were generally appreciative of American pop culture, but much less supportive of American foreign policy.

I'm fairly sure that perspectives on 9/11 (both ones, why not) are more nuanced than, "Americans aren't sensitive; the rest of the world is."

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I never even suggested that.

Its not my fault that most people here are only interested in the US. I could create lots of posts criticizing N.Irish politics, but it would be safe to assume that most people wouldn't be bothered to read them.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, in lots of areas in the Middle East, they certainly took to the streets, but it wasn't to show sympathy - it was to celebrate. I remember more than a few broadcasts from areas in the M.E. where people were dancing and setting American flags on fire.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's what the American media decided to show you, maybe...

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not at all Faraaz. First, I wouldn't say bias is necessarily fair or unfair; it simply colors one's perceptions. Second, I wasn't trying to imply that I was free of any bias while everyone else wasn't. Third, this is a great topic, because I am very interested in seeing the kinds of responses people have to things like this.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Since you brought up these footages Aldeth...
    I remember seeing footages of people in Lebanon being quite happy and celebrating, shown on CNN shortly after September 11. I also remember being quite surprised, because I remembered having seen these same videos a year earlier. In 2000, when the Israeli army withdrew from southern Lebanon.
    Several media watchdogs pointed this fact out, and most of them a few weeks later also pointed out the fact that CNN never apologised or even admitted this mistake, but quietly stopped broadcasting the footage.
    Some of the other footages Fox showed at the time, which were showing Palestinians burning American flags, turned out to be 5 years old. Naturally Fox took the same approach and quietly dropped the footage without ever apologising.
    Now I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of nutters somewhere in the world actually did celebrate (there's nutters everywhere), but the US media, for reasons I have yet to understand, decided to go for a bigger effect by actually lying about some of the footage. Beats me why they'd try to convince people that people hate the US.

Wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't stuck footage that was years old and from a completely different event...

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Was this on Fox News? I'm betting it was... :D

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah I think they also reported that Hassan Nasrallah said "if the Jews all gather in Israel, it will save us the trouble of going after them worldwide". That also turned out to be complete lies.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Nasrallah's among the lowest scum, but he's not an idiot... most of the time :shake:

Something very similar happened with something Ahmadinejad said a few months ago. He said something racist about Judaism, and the translation was distorted to make it sound even worse than it already was. I just couldn't understand it. It's Ahmadinejad! You don't NEED to mistranslate what he says! Just dig deep enough into other things he says and you'll find enough stupid and racist comments to fill a book.

You get the cookie :lol:

10. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Pictures of Arabs just sitting around being disinterested isn't quite an attention grabber. But fire and world conflict!---gold, baby.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.